The TamaTalk Kirby Fan Club!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin-keeper

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that a number of TamaTalk regulars are fans of the Kirby series, myself included (heck, my favourite nostalgic Tamagotchi moment is directly linked to the Kirby series!), so I figured that I'd make a thread for us to chat about this wonderful series from HAL Laboratory and Nintendo. :D

It's been almost 18 months since the last mainline game, which was Kirby Star Allies for the Nintendo Switch (one of my favourite entries in the series, and also one of my favourite 2D platformers of all time from any series - and I've played rather a lot of those, so that's high praise), so it feels to me like we're due for a new side-game sometime soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing what we'll get next, since the Kirby side-games are usually interesting.

Personally, I'd love to see a new Kirby pinball game, as there hasn't been one in years, and I'm quite fond of pinball. :)

I've never played any Kirby game but with how much love this guy has been getting lately I'm quite intrigued. They are a cutie. What game would you reccomend to a first timer? I kind of suck at games where you actually have to put effort into something, so especially platforming games, so something entry level would be nice.

What game would you reccomend to a first timer? I kind of suck at games where you actually have to put effort into something, so especially platforming games, so something entry level would be nice.
You're in luck, because the entire purpose of the Kirby series is to offer an entry level action platformer that anyone can complete. :) That's been at its core since the beginning, and it's never changed, and this is part of its widespread appeal. (That's not to say that there's no challenging content available, though - there is, if you're so inclined, and they don't pull any punches with it, but it's never forced on you. :p )

If you have a Nintendo Switch or are planning to get one, I'd just recommend grabbing the most recent game, Kirby Star Allies. Though the series is always accessible, Star Allies is an especially good jumping-on point because they went to a lot of effort to introduce every included character with wonderful animations that really show off their personalities well, along with pause-screen flavour-text in the various modes that tells you about who they are (a series tradition which can give you all sorts of pointers, move info, and snippets of lore); This can probably be partly attributed to the way that the Switch has reached such a broad audience in such a short amount of time.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend Kirby Triple Deluxe for the 3DS as another good jumping-on point. Kirby: Planet Robobot, which was Triple Deluxe's sequel, is a good game, too, but I feel that it's not the best jumping-on point for newcomers when compared to its predecessor and to its successor, because it's a bit more experimental in terms of gameplay and tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the pointers! That sounds like lots of fun ^^ I might grab the 3DS games first as I can find them second hand for cheap, then I might pick up the Switch version. Will definitely say what I think of the series once I actually play them!

No problem, @Jhud! They're absolutely great, and I hope that you have fun with them - I look forward to hearing what you think. :D

You're in luck, because the entire purpose of the Kirby series is to offer an entry level action platformer that anyone can complete. :) That's been at its core since the beginning, and it's never changed, and this is part of its widespread appeal. (That's not to say that there's no challenging content available, though - there is, if you're so inclined, and they don't pull any punches with it, but it's never forced on you. :p )

If you have a Nintendo Switch or are planning to get one, I'd just recommend grabbing the most recent game, Kirby Star Allies. Though the series is always accessible, Star Allies is an especially good jumping-on point because they went to a lot of effort to introduce every included character with wonderful animations that really show off their personalities well, along with pause-screen flavour-text in the various modes that tells you about who they are (a series tradition which can give you all sorts of pointers, move info, and snippets of lore); This can probably be partly attributed to the way that the Switch has reached such a broad audience in such a short amount of time.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend Kirby Triple Deluxe for the 3DS as another good jumping-on point. Kirby: Planet Robobot, which was Triple Deluxe's sequel, is a good game, too, but I feel that it's not the best jumping-on point for newcomers when compared to its predecessor and to its successor, because it's a bit more experimental in terms of gameplay and tone.
I second this - Star Allies actually is what gave me the push to fully jump into this series!

My first Kirby game was Super Star, back when I was around 11 or 12 probably, but I never finished it, or played another Kirby game until I got Star Allies for my birthday last year! I really enjoyed it, and the Dream Friends all seemed pretty cool, and so I decided to replay Super Star so I could finally finish it!

And yeah, Triple Deluxe is so good, it's my favourite game in the series (though I've only played five of the games so far, the other two besides what I've talked about being Planet Robobot and Kirby's Adventure), it has great gameplay, good music, the lore behind it is so good (and also Very heartbreaking), and of course it's the game my favourite character originates from (have I mentioned that I love Taranza? Yes? Ok)

Our local Kirby fans might be interested in this upcoming indie game. It's called "Whipseey and the Lost Atlas", and it appears to take some inspiration from the early Kirby games, particularly Kirby's Adventure.

I like Taranza, too! But there's no prizes for guessing who my favourite character is, since he's the only penguin in the main cast - it's none other than King Dedede! :lol: Obviously, I love Kirby himself, too, though - who doesn't? :p

And for now, I'll leave you guys with this adorable artwork;

GDmh1QT.jpg

It's titled "Kirby's Dreamy Gear", and is a steampunk-style piece that's being used for some upcoming merchandise, including these miniature figures and these plushes.

4wzyQGi.png

UNxNAYo.jpg

These will probably be up for pre-order on AmiAmi and HobbyLink Japan soon, so if you like them, keep an eye out!

I play a TON of Super Kirby Clash. I just got the 100 Gem Apples that all Switch Online users can get!

I play a TON of Super Kirby Clash. I just got the 100 Gem Apples that all Switch Online users can get!
I grabbed that a while back - unless they've re-issued the offer and I've missed it?! :eek: I'll check shortly.

Anyway, unfortunately I must now lock this thread, as, per the rules, it's preferred that threads not be bumped if they haven't been posted in for more than three months. Sorry about that!

4bBp1pP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back