Joc

Pac-Man ✖️ Tamagotchi crossover announced

@KidRetro64 already mentioned this on their profile, but this is what Bandai Namco US posted on Twitter before the weekend.

spacer.png

It’s to celebrate Pac-Man’s 40th anniversary. Hope it comes to Europe as well. Would be a bit disappointing if it was just yet another Tamagotchi Nano version (with Pac-Man instead of Gudetama or Eevee), but either way, I am very excited for its unveiling!

Come to think of it, the Tamagotchi Mame Game hardware was used for Pac-Man once.

spacer.png

Edited by Jop
  • Like 6

I'm fully expecting another licensed Tamagotchi Nano, for this one, but I'm fine with that. :P I just hope that this one makes it out of Japan, or at least isn't underproduced, which were both issues with the Eevee one.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

I'm fully expecting another licensed Tamagotchi Nano, for this one, but I'm fine with that. :P I just hope that this one makes it out of Japan, or at least isn't underproduced, which were both issues with the Eevee one.

Probably will be coming out of Japan, as the announcement was in English.

• Like 5

A Pac-Man and Tamagotchi combo... sounds interesting, I'll say that :P Honestly though, I'll be kind of excited if it makes it out of Japan!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

https://nintendosoup.com/pac-man-tamagotchi-revealed-for-pac-mans-40th-anniversary/

Well, I can't say that I expected the gameplay to be "Pac-Man helps you to raise your Tamagotchi character"! :lol:

Also, the link that @Eggiweg provided was updated to include Amazon US pre-order links, so I've just grabbed the black version without the case. Thanks for the heads-up! :D (This is the first Tamagotchi I've bought since the Meets, and I'm sure that it won't disappoint me like that one did. :P)

• Like 1

https://tamagotchi.com/fairy-vs-magic-whats-the-difference-2/ (Interesting URL goof...)

I know I said I hoped it wouldn't be yet another Tamagotchi Nano, but I actually like the execution! Shame it comes out too late for my brother's birthday.

5 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

(This is the first Tamagotchi I've bought since the Meets, and I'm sure that it won't disappoint me like that one did. :P)

What about the Meets disappointed you? I've taken care of mine for a week now. I like that it actually takes effort to keep them happy compared to the European games. And the graphics are gorgeous (makes me wonder what a new WonderSwan would be like)

Edited by Jop
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jop said:

What about the Meets disappointed you? I've taken care of mine for a week now. I love that it takes effort to keep them happy compared to the European games. And the graphics are gorgeous (makes me wonder what a new WonderSwan would be like)

The bugs! :( I gather that some were fixed for the On (and presumably also the Some), but the Meets was an absolute menace for them - I imported mine at launch, so it's a first-run unit, and it's absolutely riddled with them. It's a nice device apart from that, but the game-breaking bugs undermine this.

Really, I suppose that I should say that I hope the Pac-Man Tamagotchi doesn't disappoint me, because I know that they had to recall the Nano-based Eevee X Tamagotchi due to what they described as manufacturing defects, and there's nothing to suggest that we're home free with the Pac-Man one yet! :lol:

Also, I owned a couple of WonderSwans at one point (an original, and then a little later a SwanCrystal, since the screens on the original are horrifyingly bad, and it was the best way to play the monochrome games, which were my main interest :P) - nice to see someone else who knows the system. :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

The bugs! :( I gather that some were fixed for the On (and presumably also the Some), but the Meets was an absolute menace for them - I imported mine at launch, so it's a first-run unit, and it's absolutely riddled with them. It's a nice device apart from that, but the game-breaking bugs undermine this.

Ah, ok. I have the Sweets Meets so they probably/hopefully fixed most of them by now.

EDIT: I now remember that the On still has some really nasty glitches such as sometimes resetting if it goes into standby while on the baby naming screen.

Edited by Jop
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jop said:

Ah, ok. I have the Sweets Meets so they probably/hopefully fixed most of them by now.

That's what I've gathered from what I've heard, which is good - it deserves to succeed. :D

• Like 2

Apparently one of the features of the Pac-man Tamagotchi is that "PAC-MAN will save your Tamagotchi character from the ghosts and bugs". I'm assuming this is a new feature - since I read a nano log awhile back and it didn't mention any attacks - and it makes me think of the Morino (although since that is bug-themed, it's a little ironic). The Tamagotchi Wiki confirms this, interestingly enough. Funny how the "bugs" are actually glitched graphics; a nice touch.

Didn't know the Meets had such bad glitches or that the On even had any. All I really heard was that the app could cause problems. Well, I guess I should go digging up info on the forum :kusatchi:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Knighttchi's Ballad said:

Apparently one of the features of the Pac-man Tamagotchi is that "PAC-MAN will save your Tamagotchi character from the ghosts and bug". I'm assuming this is a new feature - since I read a nano log awhile back and it didn't mention any attacks - and it makes me think of the Morino (although since that is bug-themed, it's a little ironic).

The Gudetama ✖️ Tamagotchi Nano also has attacks.

Funny how the "bugs" are actually glitched graphics; a nice touch.

Ah, I was wondering what they meant by bugs. They're really trying to make the 256 glitch a part of the universe now. Anyone know if they were already doing that before the Pac-Man 256 iOS/Android game?

Didn't know the Meets had such bad glitches or that the On even had any.

What if the "bugs" themselves will have a bug

spacer.png

Edited by Jop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is actually quite an interesting concept.

For some reason, I don’t feel that driven towards a pac man tamagotchi.

Does anyone else feel like this?

• Like 1

Same, actually. It just seemed like such a random concept, since they're only related by pixels anyway. I heard from Tama-Palace that there was a rumor that there was going to be a Neon Genesis Evangelion Tamagotchi... which is downright insane. Much more insane than this because while a pixelated character that eats pellets and avoids ghosts could work within a Vpet framework - with some imagination - I can't fathom how it would work with mentally damaged teenagers who pilot mechas to fight mysterious biological machines for a living. Naturally, an adequate Evangelion Vpet would have to involve allot more than feeding, playing, and waste removal, even if it did evolve into personality types of the main characters (I haven't finished Evangelion although I did watch most of the series).

I'll probably not be getting a Pac-man Tamagotchi even if the way the concept pans out is more sensible than it sounds. After getting the rereleased minis, I'd feel more inclined to seeing a fully themed version than one that is purposely truncated.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cookies&Cream said:

This is actually quite an interesting concept.

For some reason, I don’t feel that driven towards a pac man tamagotchi.

Does anyone else feel like this?

11 hours ago, Knighttchi's Ballad said:

Same, actually. It just seemed like such a random concept, since they're only related by pixels anyway.

The thing only exists because in the 40 years since Pac-Man hit the scene, Namco ended up merging with Bandai. I agree that it's a weird crossover.

For me, the reason that I want one isn't because of the crossover, because that part of it is kind of illogical, but rather because Pac-Man was my first video game hero, and because I like the Tamagotchi line (particularly the less-convoluted devices) - it's because of those things in disconnected form, rather than because of the bizarre crossover.

That said, the bizarreness does very slightly come into it - it's a really unusual piece of memorabilia for the 40th anniversary of such an icon! :lol:

11 hours ago, Knighttchi's Ballad said:

I'll probably not be getting a Pac-man Tamagotchi even if the way the concept pans out is more sensible than it sounds. After getting the rereleased minis, I'd feel more inclined to seeing a fully themed version than one that is purposely truncated.

I prefer the simpler Tamagotchis myself, so this one's right up my alley. :D I just wish that they'd issue a modern simpler Tamagotchi sometime (y'know, a "P3" or something), rather than remakes of previous models.

For now, though, these license-themed editions will have to do. :P

Honestly when I was browsing Amazon and saw the listing I thought it was some kind of knockoff fake, but now reading about it it seems sort of fun and cute. I wish they'd release more in the US, so hopefully this will do well enough to encourage them to release more here! I'm happy that it includes games and the ability to call Pac Man to save your tama, it seems cute and different than some of the recent ones I've seen. 

• Like 2