Joc

Pac-Man ✖️ Tamagotchi crossover announced

If you live in Europe, no need to preorder it from the US: Amazon UK has a page, just doesn't allow preorders. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZZXM9YD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BGRoEbF2DGP7C I was beginning to wonder if Bandai Namco Europe was so incompetent they couldn't even celebrate Pac-Man's birthday properly, but fortunately not.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:34 PM, Penguin-keeper said:

I prefer the simpler Tamagotchis myself, so this one's right up my alley. :D I just wish that they'd issue a modern simpler Tamagotchi sometime (y'know, a "P3" or something), rather than remakes of previous models.

For now, though, these license-themed editions will have to do. :P

That's kinda why they created the Nano in the first place: as a simpler alternative to the iD. But I get what you mean. I hope they make a Connection v10 that can connect to the old ones for the 25th anniversary.

• Like 2

Trailer released!

And it actually shows the game, unlike most Tamagotchi ads.

• Like 2

@Joc - That was a really fun little ad! I really can't wait for this one. :D

The crossover makes zero sense (and I love Pac-Man and appreciate his legacy, but these days he'd go to the opening of an envelope :P), but it's such a nicely-executed little oddity that I can't help but like it. It's definitely going to be the weirdest piece of Pac-Man 40th Anniversary memorabilia that I end up picking up. :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

@Joc - That was a really fun little ad! I really can't wait for this one. :D

The crossover makes zero sense (and I love Pac-Man and appreciate his legacy, but these days he'd go to the opening of an envelope :P), but it's such a nicely-executed little oddity that I can't help but like it. It's definitely going to be the weirdest piece of Pac-Man 40th Anniversary memorabilia that I end up picking up. :lol:

It doesn't really pretend to make sense, especially with that stupid 256 glitch.

Yet I think this crossover still makes more sense than the Sanrio crossovers. How are Tamagotchi characters able to produce eggs together with Sanrio characters? Though maybe Pac-Man will be next month's special guest in the On/Meets Park and let him do that too. 😜

And this bootleg of Miffy (named "Cathy") might have been included if Sanrio didn't get sued to stop using it before.

spacer.png

Not really what Bandai should try to associate themselves with. I think the sheer popularity of Sanrio in Japan is the only reason these crossovers were considered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joc said:

It doesn't really pretend to make sense, especially with that stupid 256 glitch.

Heh, true, though I meant it more in terms of logistics - crossing the lore of the two franchises just doesn't work (to the point that they're not even trying to here - it's more like some Tamagotchis have taken up residence in an arcade-game, Wreck-It Ralph style). :lol: It's still cute, though.

1 hour ago, Joc said:

I think the sheer popularity of Sanrio in Japan is the only reason these crossovers were considered.

I find the Sanrio crossovers odd, too (cute, definitely, but also odd). Let's be honest, the Sanrio cast would go to the opening of an envelope, too! :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Heh, true, though I meant it more in terms of logistics - crossing the lore of the two franchises just doesn't work

Of course, that's also what I meant. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games was the first non-bootleg game I had of either series, but I don't like it in retrospect, for that reason. But this seems like a more humouristic crossover.

13 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

I find the Sanrio crossovers odd, too (cute, definitely, but also odd). Let's be honest, the Sanrio cast would go to the opening of an envelope, too! :lol:

Literally.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joc said:

But this seems like a more humouristic crossover.

Yeah, and I think that's why it seems to work better even though it shouldn't. :)

2 hours ago, Joc said:

AHAHAHAHA! :lol: That's made my day, thanks so much. :D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s already out in Japan and the US, but we have a European release date, 24 April!

Amazon UK is accepting preorders https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZZXM9YD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_pvtDEbJJ2KCRD There’s an ad for a bootleg right under it... Bandai shouldn’t partner with Amazon so much.

Edited by Joc
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My Pac-Man Tamagotchi has arrived. :D Here are some pictures;

mznRnaa.jpg

wRr1DEo.jpg

6QKq7qY.jpg

0EcJMch.jpg

The instructions list the following adult forms;

Mametchi
Ginjirotchi
Maskutchi
Kuchipatchi
Mimitchi
Pochitchi
Zuccitchi
Secret

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

wRr1DEo.jpg

They translated “bugs” as “microbes” and “bichos”...

Edited by Joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joc said:

They translated “bugs” as “microbes” and “bichos”...

Yes, I had a good laugh at that once I took a look at the packaging. :lol:

It's like that in the instruction leaflet, too, and some of the English has got the same sort of flavour as what I've seen from the Meets/On translation - it feels like the very old game-translation tradition of getting the secretary, who knows English, to translate it. It's perfectly readable and accurate, but there are a couple of lines that are unusually-structured.

• Like 2

Tes microbes for bugs is weird... they try to translate bugs in trench... but de use the english word buts too... at least they try... 

• Like 1