repaint faided shell designs?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Candythief

Reaction score
Hello! I recently restarted few of my older Tamagotchis. Sadly, some have faded shell designs, rubbed off of faded letters, or scratches in the shell paintings. I think this does apply for any tamagotchi with painted shell designs.

5Q1hY8Q.jpg
 <---- this is an example. Not mine. My designs, letterings are luckily only a very, very little faded.

Im a person who likes his tamas in best condition possible and i do have good drawing skills.

These little damages of mine would be very easy to touch up with a suitable paint. I tried to repaint the silver wings of my angelgotchi with a silver permanent marker but it got rubbed off very quickly, its seems not permanent enough on plastic.

I wonder with what i can repaint the shell designs best. i thought of Nail polish, but i think nail polish does not dry as flat as the original paint and it would be visible that it was repainted. 

Do you guys have any tips for me?

How about gundam markers? These are intended for painting action figures. Do anyone knows them? Are they more rub resistant?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've moved this over to Help for Tamagotchi Owners, as the tips-and-tricks section is meant for giving them out, as opposed to seeking them. :)

For what it's worth, what I know of Gundam paint-pens suggests that they're meant for models that will be displayed as opposed to played with, so I'm not sure if those would hold up for this purpose unless you applied some sort of sealant over the top.

Good luck with finding the best methods for re-painting!

Its at the same time offering a tip tho. 🙂
It is, true, but since you mentioned that you're after the best method for this sort of restoration, I'm not so sure that Tamagotchi Tips and Tricks is quite the right place, since the topic isn't providing the method itself. ;)

For what it's worth, what I know of Gundam paint-pens suggests that they're meant for models that will be displayed as opposed to played with, so I'm not sure if those would hold up for this purpose unless you applied some sort of sealant over the top.
This is exactly my concern. I ordered a silver gundam marker for the protruding wings that are always prone to paint fading. I will see how good gundam marker paint will last in this purpose.

But some people maybe play with action figues? 😄

This is exactly my concern. I ordered a silver gundam marker for the protruding wings that are always prone to paint fading. I will see how good gundam marker paint will last in this purpose.
I'm really curious about this, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about the results!

As far as I know, the Gundam pens contain acrylic paint, so I'd imagine that it'll go on well - it's just the durability that I've got no idea about.

But some people maybe play with action figues? 😄
Certainly! :D Though I'm not sure that the paint-pens are meant for them.

Acrylics would be a good choice, especially the thinned down stuff you get for painting models so I think the Gundam marker might work well.

I think it's what tamagirl327 uses.

I haven't worked with tama shells but with gameboy advance shells, and from what I have noticed is normal acrylics will not cut it, and you typically need higher grades of model paints. From what I personally worked with and had to do is pretty harsh for the soft shells of p1's so only do some of the tips if you're willing to risk possible failure. 

1. Scratch it up- it needs something to bind to. Most of the tama paints are factory grade so most hobby paints won't cut it. You need something to act as an adhesive. I like using 2000 grit or 1500 grit sand paper for delicate projects. Sand down the surface area you are working with and make sure its even. I recommend watching Youtube tutorials about prepping paint surfaces similar to your tama for the best results. After its sanded you can begin painting.
  2. For fine details like text use paints such as enamel based. There isn't much you can do about them peeling off eventually but they do the job pretty well. There a number of brands now, and I haven't tested them myself since I typically use spray paints.
  3. Large surfaces= Krylon plastic spray paint. So I like Krylon alot. it takes care of large surfaces. They have specialty cans of it that work really well if you sand up the surfaces. They also have acrylic spray to create a nice finish to protect your hard work.
  4. UV RESIN- this is a theory but since it works on my polymer clay charms and other plastic based charms. So in theory it should act as a really good sealant. Especially if you can get your hands on the super good non fading one.(Some uv resins yellow over time)

Those are some tips I have. Some are over kill and I haven't had time to experiment as of late, but since my angel gotchi is doing this too I may give it a shot to save it for the sake of science.

I really only have very minor damage at very littlelest details. I don't want to paint a whole shell.

This is an example, what i want to repaint: 
5exREAj.jpg

(Say hi, to Ningyotchi❤️)

You see, extremely minor scratch in the painting and my other tamas has similar minor damages.

Using sandpaper seems not like a good idea unless i want to completely do a custom shell design... 

I think i can risk trying gundam markers. If the worst is, that they might faint, no problem.

I think i have to free the tama surface from grease first, but i want to do it very gently. What could it use for that?

I think Gundam markers work very good and are absolutely suitable for this. I repainted the silver wings of my Devilgotchi with it and the paint lasts well. You can not wipe the (completely dired) paint away with your finger, the paint only goes off when you scatch with your fingernail BUT thats the same with the tamagotchi native paint designs.

Fist test the colors, if they are the same as your tamas design colors.

You have to remove the greases from the surface very you want to paint very carefully, i used vinegar-water solution for this and a cotton stick.

Don't paint with the marker tip, use a very very fine brush to apply it. (A nailart brush)

Paint a spot on a (matal) surface, like a tray or something, then mix the painted spot to get an even silver color (the silver consist of these metallic particles, they have to be mixed well to create an even silver) and carefully apply the color to vintage tamagotchi wings. 

Paint 3 thin layers over the chipped areas and be careful that they blend in with the native silver wings color. This way the result should be so perfect as like the tama is new and in mint condition. Let every layer dry for a long time.

The result:  Good as new!!!! 

photo-2019-12-03-14-11-47.jpg

I already bought the standard set Gundam markers where i also get white, red, yellow, black, etc so i can also perfectly repaint the faded "Devilgotch" design and other faded designs. Drawing and painting skills are advantageous.

I can recommend Gundam markers for it. (no long term experience how the color last under rougher conditions)

@Candythief - Absolutely fantastic! :D I'm really glad that it worked so well, and thanks very much for posting back with your tips and the photograph - hopefully this thread will help plenty of other people who are looking for advice on this sort of restoration. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back