I wasn't really around when surge of chat rooms and forums was around being a 2000s baby and all and it kinda makes me sad :( 

I've looked into more recently for some (this one included) and from what I've gathered I feel like it's a dying breed type of thing?

I'm on e-chat and it's bone dry nowadays :( 

I guess I understand why since social media is A LOT more popular (and a little more convenient) but I think I enjoy the older format a lot more than just social media feeds sometimes???

Too bad it's dying out.

(Side note: Did anyone else play anything like Webkinz, Club penguin, or petpark back in the day???)

I Started In 2019. BY E-Chat Too! Im the Only 2010s Kid To Discover tHESES.

It Is  Dying Out Because of Many Social Medias Has Taken over!

(I only Played Club penguin.)

The lack of activity is concerning. TamaZone is basically dead, and it seems this forum is slowing down too.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, Lesbian Tama mom said:

I wasn't really around when surge of chat rooms and forums was around being a 2000s baby and all and it kinda makes me sad :( 

I've looked into more recently for some (this one included) and from what I've gathered I feel like it's a dying breed type of thing?

I'm on e-chat and it's bone dry nowadays :( 

I guess I understand why since social media is A LOT more popular (and a little more convenient) but I think I enjoy the older format a lot more than just social media feeds sometimes???

Too bad it's dying out.

I was in my early teens when the original Tamagotchi came to the West, when forums weren't really a thing, and you'd discuss the devices in chat-rooms, sharing links to people's personal homepages on GeoCities and the likes, which you had most likely found using AltaVista (the world's most popular internet search-engine at the time). Sometimes these fan-pages even contained treasures translated from Japanese (such a page, though I can no longer remember which one since it was back in 1997, was how I learned of the Tamapitchi, myself) - this was a time when "fan-translators" and even online machine-translators didn't exist and you'd just have to hope to find a page written by a fellow enthusiast who happened to know a given language if you didn't know it yourself!

Chat-rooms have certainly had their time, it seems, but forums dedicated to specific subjects are still around and clearly still have a place alongside other avenues for discussion. The forum format lends itself well to discussions that aren't time-zone reliant, and for sharing data such as in threads about figuring out patterns with Tamagotchi evolutions, or charting which fakes are currently out there.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, Lesbian Tama mom said:

(Side note: Did anyone else play anything like Webkinz, Club penguin, or petpark back in the day???)

I did not, though I did see the rise and fall of chat-rooms, guestbooks, and similar! :lol:

1 hour ago, Deru-sama said:

The lack of activity is concerning. TamaZone is basically dead, and it seems this forum is slowing down too.

If you're concerned about the lack of activity, by all means please do help us out - we all welcome and enjoy good contributions! ;)

From what I've seen, there's been a steady, though not overwhelming, stream of activity here since I joined just shy of two years ago.

For what it's worth, I visit every day, though I don't always post unless I have something that I feel is substantial enough to be worth writing. I've seen a few people proclaiming this place to be "dead" or "slowing down", but that certainly hasn't happened yet. ;) I never saw TamaTalk's heyday (outside of stumbling across it once or twice and keeping it in mind for the future), but I can't say that I've found it to be lacking in activity these last two years, myself. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, though? :P

Anyway, it's worth mentioning that the Tamagotchi On hasn't been out in the West for long, and though it seemingly isn't going to be available in all countries (mine included) I'd imagine that there will be people who'll be getting them for Christmas who might find their way here. That's what happened with the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini (which was what led to me picking the hobby back up and is what brought me here) and the remakes of the 1996 Gen 1 and 1997 Gen 2 devices, after all.

Edited by Penguin-keeper

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Fae Kizunatchi
      I like the smell of pumpkins cooking. The smell reminds me of happy 80's films set in America during Christmas time and "Thanks giving". I've always been nostalgic to an extraordinary degree. My actual memories overlap with memories of films, daydreams and happy scenes that never really happened to me in reality.
      There is a beauty within melancholy. It's like a furry lens covering all of the photographs in my mind. It distracts the viewer from the parts where the character faced times of conflict; but better yet - it covers the times where there isn't even a memory of conflict. It's a collage with many fragments, and in between those fragments is lost time.

Time sits in a Waiting Room. The waiting room is filled with people who exude a nervous energy of anticipation and hope. They follow the normal rules of a drama. These people go through concrete and understandable disasters. Things like cancer, divorce, trauma...after these experiences and battles people pat them on the back and commend them on their strength of will.

Conflict builds character. "Whatever doesn't kill me will only make me stronger." I would agree with the principle behind such a statement if it weren't for the fact that in my case the things that haven't killed me have created a weathering effect; a corrosion of sorts. The places where the waves struck against the shore have worn away. Slowly, and not in an obvious fashion - so to all who view me I am a mountain. I stand there doing my duty. I am "strong" because as a mountain I have survived. Surviving is the right thing to do, falling apart is frowned upon.

It makes sense. I have rarely seen a person come to admire a pile of rubble. A rugged mountain range is noble, stoic, brave. A pile of rubble is a pile of rubble. It could break down further until it becomes the sand that sparkles in the sun...when drops of the sea splash upon it. In that form it is "pretty", and again, photogenic. The most important part is its value to society; its usefulness and prettiness. If one cannot be a rugged mountain, one must be a pretty picture, or at least something useful. Drifting into the waves is not really an option.

"What are you doing?"
      You must always be "doing". If you are not doing, you are being. We are human-doings, not human-beings. Whoever said it was the opposite way around never stopped doing long enough for someone to ask them "what are you doing?" and "do something so I may take a picture of you!"

I suppose it is a good idea to take those pictures. If we didn't have those pictures, we may end up like the ones still stuck in the Waiting Room with plasters on their heads. No matter how long they sit there the doctor won't come. Even if the doctor came for them, they obviously found their license in a cereal box because they have plastered people's hearts by putting plasters on the heads.
      "Doctor, please my heart hurts!" cries the patient. A student doctor enters the room and tightens the band-aids around the patients head. The real doctor isn't available. He is too busy tying up feet.

Thankfully I have cut up pictures and screenshots from heart-warming tales. I have crudely sewn them together to hide the holes. Hopefully when the doctor visits me they will see that my head is filled up with the same things as everyone else.

· Memories of the smell of Thanks Giving pumpkins - check
      · Glittering photos of washed up shells upon the beach - check
      · Smiling families eating around a table - check

​I bet they will be impressed when they see how photogenic I am. Picture perfect.
    • By phx.XD
      I know they are ultimately a kids toy but I'm sure many adults from the 90s have them and enjoy them as an interactive keychain or perhaps collect them. If any of you exist I think we should be friend. I'm 30 years old.
    • By Dragonboy
      About a week ago, my mother sent me this very photo and message:

"Look what I found x"

Now, this instantly wreaked me with nostalgia from when I was 8, a good decade ago,
      when these little critters were the craze at my primary school.

Eventually though, they got banned and I lost interest.
      This, along with a red v2 and silver v4, went into storage-
      (shown below)

(The Red v2 is the one I actually the one I ordered, and the v4 picture is my actual one, too!)

Lone behold, she sent me the photo, and the first thing I did when I got home from work
      was buy some new 3 volt batteries, and went on a search for my old Tamagotchi''s.

I managed to find the silver v4, but I believe the v2 had reached the end of its lifeline and had
      been thrown out, as I remember the middle button falling out when I was small.

Here I am, a week later; the same v2 from my childhood, a v3, and a v5 on their way
      from a seller on eBay, and a newly bought 'Friends' version (a veryvery cheaply made era of tamas, might
      I say), awaiting the true re-kindling of my childhood.

(Finding out I still had a nearly 8 year old TamaTalk account shocked me too!)

So, raises my real topic-

Were you ever re-united with your old tamagotchis?
    • By The Ultimate Doomer
      This topic is from another forum site, so I suppose there can be a topic about it here, too. Ookla speed test is for measuring your download and upload speeds, and ping, and rating your ISP. It is at www.speedtest.net

The upload/download is measured in megabits (Mb). 1 Mb = 0.125 megabytes (MB), so 1 MB = 8 Mb.

The ping is in milliseconds. 1,000 milliseconds = 1 second.

Then you paste the image url here and compare speeds, for fun. (:

If for privacy reasons you don't want your country or cities or ISP to be shown, you can just type the download, upload, ping and grade results.

here's mine:

• By Nazotchi25
      Internet Safety is always an important thing to have, and its not really all that difficult, it all has to do with your own choices.

First off, the number one thing that you should never ever do, is post personal information. Usually a first name is okay, but don't give out your full address,name, or even school as these can help people find you. There are a lot of creepy people on the internet.
      Another thing is content you post, unless you want to exploit yourself then you should never do things like post pictures of you doing stupid stuff, or things of your friends doing stupid stuff. believe it or not, this can actually affect your career in the future. Bosses for big corporations like to find all the info they can of their employees, usually so they can find out your habits and behaviors to see if you are suitable for the job.
      Links to sites are another major thing, if you know, or suspect a link has things like viruses, malware or adult content, you're better off just not posting it for anybody to click on, as this is an easy way to spread a virus.
      Most of this boils down to pure common sense, this is a site with many different age groups, mostly kids, so it needs to be as "age appropriate" as possible.

Summary:
      things not to do: Post illegal/inappropriate content
      Personal information/data
      Pictures of yourself doing dumb things
      Bad links (viruses, Personal Advertisements in topics are annoying to)

Things to do: Use common sense
      Pause before posting (think twice, or maybe three times)
      Keep things to yourself if needed.
      Put personal web adverts in your "About Me" or your signature.
    • By neonmoo
      Do you have any fond memories of your Furby like when did you get it and why? and did you take it places with you?

I will always remember my Furby its name was May-may and i got it for christmas the year they came out. I was a little be disappointed because I wanted the Gizmo one and had never even seen the Furbys on TV, but I as soon as the batteries went in I loved it and it was my new best friend. May-may came almost everywhere with me, he used to be strapped into the doll seat I had on the back of my little pink bike and come on adventures with me.

The scariest memory I have of May-may was the first time the batteries ran out I thought he was broken/ dieing and I ran home crying, his speech had slurred and he was making noises like there was a bee inside him. I was so relieved when my dad brought him back to life again.

I remember how much my Grandparents used to hate my Furby they would call him an evil penguin like the one out of Wallis and Grommet.

Then around this time last year I got my Furby out the cupboard for the last time, I had decided to put him into storage. I turned him upside down and he says "Me scared" then I began to un-do the screws and he goes "Ah bright light"just before I removed the batteries.

I still love my Furby and will never sell him and I still think about maybe taking him out of storage.