Sign in to follow this  
Timogotchi19

Should Hasbro acquire Tamagotchi?

Should Hasbro acquire Tamagotchi?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hasbro acquire Tamagotchi?

• Yes! Think of the possibilities!
    • No, Tamagotchi is still fine with Bandai.
    • Tamagotchi should be acquired, but by a different company.
    • I have no opinion on the matter.

8 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

(ironically thanks to the guy who made the toy license what it was at Bandai!)

Are you referring to Brian Goldner, who was Bandai America's executive vice president and COO before joining Hasbro?

41 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Saban was the rights-holder before Hasbro bought it (ironically thanks to the guy who made the toy license what it was at Bandai!). They were just making business decisions to further their brand - and inclusiveness is a valuable thing.

If Bandai's figures were lackluster, that's probably why they lost the toy license. :P

It was already discussed above why that won't happen, though - it is in the hands of a television or streaming network as to whether they would pick up such a show, which requires there to be a proven market for that show that they can sell it (and advertisements) to, and history has proven time and again that there is not a market for these kinds of shows outside of Japan*. More specifically, history has also proven time and again that there is not a market for a Tamagotchi show outside of Japan - even at the series' greatest heights in 1997, the concept simply never took off, and we will most likely not see those heights again. (That doesn't mean that the franchise is not a solid seller - it clearly is. But the brand selling well as an interactive toy doesn't mean that people want to passively watch an adaptation of it on TV.)

*There will always be some people out there who would like it, but when we talk markets, we talk in absolutes - compared to a multi-million-selling global brand, a few-hundred or a few-thousand enthusiasts talking about it on the internet literally equates to zero in business terms. There is no profit in that endeavour.

That is very true.

What I said was just my opinion; it really doesn’t matter what I said. Don’t listen to me, I’m probably just spouting rubbish. :( 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:35 PM, Jop said:

Hasbro? Why Hasbro?

Especially as Giga Pets has already demonstrated the amount of creativity they would put into the franchise...

This was entirely the point I was trying to put forward in my previous comment.

I apologise if I worded it incorrectly.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
Merged multi-posting.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Timogotchi19 said:

Are you referring to Brian Goldner, who was Bandai America's executive vice president and COO before joining Hasbro?

That's the one. I'm quite sure that he doesn't have the ability to make a television network pick up a show that there's no market for, or to purchase a franchise that isn't for sale. ;)

27 minutes ago, Cookies&Cream said:

What I said was just my opinion; it really doesn’t matter what I said. Don’t listen to me, I’m probably just spouting rubbish. :( 

I agree with you, for what it's worth. And I also think that it won't happen, as there's just no reason for it to. :P

so fun to watch...