Sign in to follow this  
hwd45

Battery Glitches, Glitch Items and Unused Content

That's a pretty awesome find! I thought id take a peek back in the forum and see if there was anything going on. I'm still bent on doing a ROM dump of this V3 I have sitting on my desk, but have been playing around with more battery stuff lately. Looks like were still active in here! Do you have a link for the discord? I've got a new facebook account as well and forgot your name :)  thx

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dom1980TA said:

That's a pretty awesome find! I thought id take a peek back in the forum and see if there was anything going on. I'm still bent on doing a ROM dump of this V3 I have sitting on my desk, but have been playing around with more battery stuff lately. Looks like were still active in here! Do you have a link for the discord? I've got a new facebook account as well and forgot your name :)  thx

I’ll send over the details in a DM :) looking forward to seeing any progress you might make with the V3 ROM stuff!

On 4/5/2021 at 2:01 AM, hwd45 said:

h1GUfm4.png

The miss counter is enabled. Permanently. Or, at least, for as long as the jumper is shorted for. Only the miss counter though - hybrid mode was not enabled by the jumper.

Once I stopped chuckling at how the counter looks like it says "HOO BOO" (or "HOI BOO" in the earlier picture), it reminded me quite a bit of the hidden meters in the Tamagotchi Game Boy game (which cover "Fear" and "Mine" - poor translations of Stress and Selfishness), which can be enabled by a button-code.

Do you think that this was ever meant to be user-enabled (or otherwise made available to end-users) at some point in development, or does everything point to it purely being a debugging feature?

• Like 1

That totally looks like a debug feature but who knows? :)  Ive personally never came across that before, at least not as obvious as this lol. Maybe its because my tamas are all USA? Im in Canada so Id assume north american devices up here. I have been looking into trying to bust into the ROM but that is much over my head. However, I have lots of free time now and nothing better to do ;) I've examined the ROM chip and found some info on it 

My tama currently on the operating table has an ISSI rom in it, which is pretty well documented. Ive never done anything like this before and am working slow but hoping to get some others together and make the magic happen lol

Issi 607 408-a 20
6C
40BA-26

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Dom1980TA said:

I have been looking into trying to bust into the ROM but that is much over my head. However, I have lots of free time now and nothing better to do ;) I've examined the ROM chip and found some info on it 

Freakin' awesome! :D I think that preservation like this is super-important, so I wish you the best of luck.

11 hours ago, Dom1980TA said:

My tama currently on the operating table has an ISSI rom in it, which is pretty well documented.

This is probably an advantage of Bandai's lateral use of well-established "old" technologies right from the very start of the Tamagotchi line - I'm going to hazard a guess that, at least with the Connection line and below, the parts are mostly going to be well-understood ones, since that was how they were able to make a good-quality product to such a low cost.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

I am hoping so! I would pay some serious coin for some sort of low power tamagotchi emulator that was true to the original V2 V3 ect... 

There must be a way to get into it, and I know a few of us have must have the patience to do so ;)

Hoo Boo

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 11:28 PM, Penguin-keeper said:

Once I stopped chuckling at how the counter looks like it says "HOO BOO" (or "HOI BOO" in the earlier picture), it reminded me quite a bit of the hidden meters in the Tamagotchi Game Boy game (which cover "Fear" and "Mine" - poor translations of Stress and Selfishness), which can be enabled by a button-code.

Do you think that this was ever meant to be user-enabled (or otherwise made available to end-users) at some point in development, or does everything point to it purely being a debugging feature?

This one time it came up as “H00 B01” and my brain was absolutely convinced it was saying “HOO, BOY” :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hwd45 said:

This one time it came up as “H00 B01” and my brain was absolutely convinced it was saying “HOO, BOY” :D

Honestly, after HOO BOO and HOI BOO, I expected to see a picture showing it saying HOO BOI, too! :lol:

Seriously, though, it really is a brilliant find. It makes me wonder about what might be hiding in other releases, too.

It honestly is a really awesome feature and would have been cool to have enabled in all of them, but i can understand the reasoning for the devs removing it. Is there any way to enable it on a north american tama? I have 2 jumpers, JP1 and JP2. JP3 is debug. On the LCD size my test bench tama has c7-c10 and r3,r4 points which all seem to have small resistors on em

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dom1980TA said:

It honestly is a really awesome feature and would have been cool to have enabled in all of them, but i can understand the reasoning for the devs removing it. Is there any way to enable it on a north american tama? I have 2 jumpers, JP1 and JP2. JP3 is debug. On the LCD size my test bench tama has c7-c10 and r3,r4 points which all seem to have small resistors on em

Good question :) so far none of the American devices I’ve seen have any way to enable the feature unfortunately. I’m trying to make a catalogue of Tamagotchi boards though, and I have noticed that some devices do have some extra spots on the board which aren’t shorted which could potentially do some interesting things. Perhaps more European devices would be good for testing this stuff?

There’s also some potential in the Spanish language releases. The Spanish V2 has a free spot on the board that is usually used to perform the region change. I wonder if doing this region change procedure on a Spanish V2 would unlock another unseen ROM version?

• Like 1

Honestly I didnt even know there were different language releases but it makes sense! Do you guys no anything about the glitch letters that show up now and then? Ive heard some are japanese letters but no way to confirm. Id also love to have the glitch happen where the tama is made up of items lol. That one is my favorite but Ive had it happen just twice. and the second time I got battery kill screened