How to handle family who are unsupportive of your hobby

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornsby

Reaction score
Dear tama friends,

I am looking for some advice on what to do if your family isn’t super keen on your tamagotchi collection growing. I am an adult, 26 F, and my husband thinks it’s a waste of money to collect more. I really want to get the sanrio and pastel meets right now because they are at a good price. This would bring my collection to four. But the other two purchases, a m!x and an On, were separated by like a couple years. So buying two at once seems crazy to him since they aren’t exactly cheap. But we aren’t hurting for money, and we have plenty budgeted for fun money. I do  have the ability to buy them without it affecting our mutual bank account because I have one just for myself, but it feels weird having to try to be sneaky about buying these around my husband! I feel like he’d be negative about it if I talked about it before buying, but he’d also be upset if I just bought them and he found out I kept it from him. Has anyone else ever had to justify growing their collection? I’d love to hear advice and other stories I can relate to. 

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

A tama mama

My family is pretty fine with my collection, but sometimes I think about what they will think when I’m older. My Dad seems completely fine to get me a new Tama once in a while, my Mum likes it when I actually like repair them and that, but isn't to keen on the pricing- she doesn’t really look at them as “collectables”.

Try talking to him about it, explaining that you can still use your own bank account if he doesn't want to spend money for that out of your mutual one. That way you don't have to feel sneaky about buying it like you mentioned, and even if he doesn't feel it's a good purchase, he'll at least be informed and he won't have to worry about the shared bank account suffering since you'll be using your own.

My family is pretty fine with my collection, but sometimes I think about what they will think when I’m older. My Dad seems completely fine to get me a new Tama once in a while, my Mum likes it when I actually like repair them and that, but isn't to keen on the pricing- she doesn’t really look at them as “collectables”.
I get the same thing, it’s the exact reason I only have 2. I worry about the price and what my family will think of I continue to get more.

I've faced similar before :)

Don't be sneaky tho' - that never works and basically breaks down trust and friendship between partners or family members.

I can only suggest doing something similar to what I used to do.  Tell your husband that you want to buy the sanrio and pastel meets because they're good value right now.  Tell him these tamas are something that you enjoy using and playing with - like a hobby.  They make you happy, so you hope that he's okay with it even if he himself can't see the appeal.

You could add that you know there's enough savings for "fun" stuff but you'd be happy to use your own money from your own account if he would prefer that option.

A friendly, rational chat is usually the best approach.  But that "guys... it's something that makes me happy and I can afford it; why is that not ok? Please don't make me feel down about it" is the best way to approach things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all of you! I ended up being able to have a good talk about it even though I was nervous! I tend to build things up in my head more than I should. I did talk to him about it and said that they were a good price, that I was really excited about them and that I had enough in my separate account for them. He still thought it was ridiculous but he didn’t say no. Lol he laughed and called me a weeb and was like, “as long as you realize how ridiculous it is.” He wants me to be happy and enjoy the things I like, but he still disagrees about spending that price for tiny devices. I don’t know what he thinks about them now that I have them, but he knows I like them and that I’m happy playing with them, and he seems happy to see me happy :) I know I’ll probably want to grow my collection again sometime soon, and will be looking to get a Ps next and eventually, if I can’t find my old V3, probably get a V3 too. I’ll cross those bridges when I get there though lol. Thanks again guys for everything, it means a lot to me 🥰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back