Penguin-keeper

The Family Album of a Weird Little Ninja and a Very Fluffy Rabbit - Penguin-keeper's Virtual Pet Log

On 7/8/2020 at 12:15 PM, Penguin-keeper said:

On the Pac-Man Tamagotchi, pooping and sickness are replaced with ghost-attacks and the kill-screen bug, respectively.

EG1JZXC.jpg

This means that if your Tamagotchi falls asleep when a ghost-attack is ongoing, a ghost will fall asleep next to them, ready to resume the chase when the Tamagotchi wakes up. :lol:

AHAHAHAHA!! XD :D 

• Like 1

l7K0xEN.jpg

Oyajitchi has now passed away, concluding this run of my 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini. It's been a fun run and I'm glad that he was here for it. :) Just a few minutes before he died, I had given him his meals and desserts, so when he passed on he was totally full and happy, which I think is a nice thought.

I still have my Pac-Man Tamagotchi running, but there are no changes to report there for the time being.

I've also changed my mind about which virtual pet I'll be running next - it won't be the MGA Penguin, but something else entirely. I'll start up the mystery pet once the Pac-Man Nano run finishes. :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

l7K0xEN.jpg

Oyajitchi has now passed away, concluding this run of my 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini. It's been a fun run and I'm glad that he was here for it. :) Just a few minutes before he died, I had given him his meals and desserts, so when he passed on he was totally full and happy, which I think is a nice thought.

I still have my Pac-Man Tamagotchi running, but there are no changes to report there for the time being.

I've also changed my mind about which virtual pet I'll be running next - it won't be the MGA Penguin, but something else entirely. I'll start up the mystery pet once the Pac-Man Nano run finishes. :D

Aww! :(

Excited to see what you're gonna run next though! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tacoburritotchi said:

Excited to see what you're gonna run next though! :D

Thanks! :D It'll be a vintage pet that I haven't run in quite a while, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Looking forward to seeing the next one :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Berks said:

Looking forward to seeing the next one :)

Thanks very much! :D I think that there's still a few days left for Zuccitchi on the Pac-Man Tamagotchi, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This morning on the Pac-Man Tamagotchi, I found Zuccitchi hanging out with Pac-Man on-screen - meaning that I raised him all the way to the best possible ending for this release, where the Tamagotchi only leaves after enough care-mistakes have accumulated over time. I haven't managed that on this version before - my previous two runs ended with the bugs catching Mametchi because I wasn't able to pay him enough attention one day (which resulted in the traditional grave scene, but with one of the Pac-Man ghosts hanging out nearby), and with me getting a Kuchipatchi shortly before the batteries died, respectively. :P

I pressed the A button, and Zuccitchi did one final close-up, before he and Pac-Man celebrated with fireworks, the same as you get when you get a "Great Success" score in one of the games. After that, Zuccitchi exited stage-left, followed by Pac-Man, and then Pac-Man returned to roam the screen alone;

n21bD5p.jpg

I've thoroughly enjoyed this run of this device, and it's quickly become one of my all-time favourites. I'm really looking forward to seeing more licensed Nanos that overlap with my interests in the future - here's hoping for a Kirby 30th Anniversary one in 2022! :D

Now, all of that said, it's time to start up the virtual pet that I'm running next, which is one that I haven't run in a while;

nKT54CG.jpg
It's my Japanese-version yellow-brick Gen 1 Digimon! :D

These aren't very pause-friendly (if you need to use the clock-set trick it has to be done in a specific way, and if the Digimon Digivolves it will unpause it and this can quickly cause trouble), so I didn't have great success the last time that I tried to run it - here's hoping for better this time.

L3Pk1vt.jpg
He's just hatched into a Botamon, so let's see how this run goes... :)

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2

bGh0808.jpg

And now, I have a Koromon, who looks like he'd be right at home in the Kirby series, due to his resemblance to a Scarfy. :)

I do love the original 1990s Digimon virtual pets - they've got much of the same charm as the original 1990s Tamagotchi units do, just with a different aesthetic, from the thematically-fitting shell design, to the Game Boy-esque character-designs, to the personality of it all (not only do they have Tamagotchi-like expressions, but as part of their idle animation routine the Digimon will also periodically gnaw at the sides of the screen as if trying to escape, which highlights the shell-design and brings things full-circle).

The training game is also really charming - it's functionally-identical to the original Tamagotchi's left/right guessing-game, but instead you're guessing whether to attack high or low so as to get past the enemy Digimon's defenses, and it's both responsive, and fun to look at and play. It's interesting how a fresh coat of paint and a new theme can make this two-button guessing game feel sufficiently different to the original.

Basically, if you like the vintage Tamagotchis, you really can't go wrong with a vintage Digimon - they're pretty much siblings, after all. :P

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

QIqJs4p.jpg
Today, Koromon Digivolved into Agumon! :D Here he is gnawing at the side of his enclosure.

For those following along who might want to see what possibilities this evolution can lead to, the growth-chart for this version can be found here.

I'm not trying to get any particular Digimon, here - I'm just fitting the device into my daily life and going with the flow to see what outcome I get. :)

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2

Basically, if you like the vintage Tamagotchis, you really can't go wrong with a vintage Digimon - they're pretty much siblings, after all. :P

Good to know! I don't have any experience with Digimon but from your logs they seem really cute and I might just try one!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Decotchi said:

Good to know! I don't have any experience with Digimon but from your logs they seem really cute and I might just try one!

Hehe, thanks very much! :D

There's a recent remake, which is currently available on Amazon.com, which is roughly equivalent to the Tamagotchi Gen 1 and Gen 2 reissues, though it makes a few more gameplay changes than those do (such as having quicker growth times, and allowing you to raise two monsters at once on a single device). I've got one of those on the way, too, right now.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

YqNfWGY.jpg

I really like how, even though the aesthetic and tone of the Digimon was intentionally "tougher" than that of the Tamagotchi, they still let it be cute at times. How adorable does Agumon look, all snuggled up in bed, here? :lol: He sometimes twitches, too, so it's not just the "Z"s that are animated, which is a nice touch.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

4ZeVzG7.jpg
Today, Agumon evolved into Greymon! :D

Please pardon the poop in the picture - he pooped right as I was setting up to take the photograph, so there it stayed. He looks most indignant about it. :P

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go for a Perfect form because that requires battling with another device, and I don't have a second one (yet). I also don't know if the recent Digimon remake can connect to the vintage devices, though I doubt that it can.

Still, I'm really happy with this outcome - it's the best that I can get without a second Digimon to connect to, and it's also the first time that I've raised one of these to adulthood (I never owned or got to borrow one back in the day, and I've only had the time to run my own unit once before, back when I first got it). :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

I also don't know if the recent Digimon remake can connect to the vintage devices, though I doubt that it can.

Good news! I looked this up because I was curious about it, and it turns out that the anniversary remake devices can indeed connect to the originals! :D This makes me very happy, as it means that I'll now be able to get more out of both devices, without having to buy a third one - major props to Bandai for this, as it's very pro-consumer. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Please pardon the poop in the picture

I feel your pain! I retake my tama log photos constantly because they seem to enjoy pooping right when I'm taking photos lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dQRv0aj.jpg
Greymon's time as a warrior has come to an end.

Somewhat unsettlingly, in this version the grave twitches a little bit every now and then, giving it a spooky look that suggests that your monster might yet rise again.

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of several new virtual pets and some related items, so tomorrow I might resume running my Fairy Meets in order to pass the time until I get the new additions.

• Sad 2

I've restocked my battery-stash at last, and I've put new batteries in my Fairy version Tamagotchi Meets, so...

PNUzQ5k.jpg
... It's the return of Spotchi! Here she is marrying her one true love, Nejirobotchi.

Lo3Llbv.jpg
The two had an orange baby boy, who I named Bottotchi. I wonder what traits he'll ultimately end up inheriting from his very weird family-tree? We'll see in a few days' time! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1