Penguin-keeper

The Family Album of a Weird Little Ninja and a Very Fluffy Rabbit - Penguin-keeper's Virtual Pet Log

I haven't had very much time for Bobbo this week, due in part to taking some time to properly organise my Game Boy games in a binder (trading-card pages that fit Pokemon cards are perfect for this!), which took up a chunk of free time.

Still, I finally managed to spend some time with the little guy earlier, and it was an uneventful in-game day today - Bobbo lost a race, and his meters continue to deplete more quickly, and he's pooping more often, right alongside this. There are no pictures this time, accordingly. :P

• Like 1

Speaking of Pokemon cards, my siblings gave me a whole treasure trove of Pokemon cards. :lol: 

• Like 1

I've got something a little bit different for you guys today, and I'm almost certain that this is a virtual pet that has never been covered on TamaTalk before! :D

99cTZ7D.jpg

Y93cEGG.jpg
First things first, this is a Psion Series 5mx - a British palmtop computer which is about the same size as a Nintendo 3DS XL. The Psion Series 5 was released in 1997, and the 5mx (a much-upgraded version) was released in 1999, so the device was contemporaneous with the Western release of the original Tamagotchi Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices, and the ensuing virtual pet craze.

revd3uq.jpg
While browsing for Series 5 software and utilities recently, I happened across a program called "Fred", which was billed as a "virtual pet novelty" for the system. So, tonight, I installed Fred to see what it was all about, with the intent of adding my findings to my log.

XQ01iti.jpg
Upon starting the program, I was greeted with this. It turns out that Fred is a virtual version of a Pet Rock. :lol:

Ns9v37v.jpg

DH8RvUI.jpg

ELXkha6.jpg

ClYHVlm.jpg

KgyEiio.jpg
It also turns out that there are various witticisms attached to the "activities" that you can perform so as to "care for" Fred. :lol: Moreover, they're not always the same every time - for example, choosing the Inject option for the first time will inform you that the needle broke, and choosing it a second time will tell you that the needle is still bent from the previous attempt, and there are multiple quips for attempting to give Fred a drink of Coca-Cola.

I went in expecting a basic virtual pet program rather than a joke one, and I found myself very amused indeed - Fred gave me a good laugh. :lol: The help files charmingly mention that Fred is free and is "Smileware", so if you like it, smile. I did indeed smile. :)

If anyone else around here owns a Psion Series 5 and is interested in checking out one of the only pieces of virtual pet software for the device (I know of one other, Magic Egg/"MEgg", but it was shareware and the full version probably isn't available anymore), you can download Fred here.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1OIzCoy.jpg
Today, Bobbo finally won another race, which was the biggest event of his otherwise uneventful in-game day. :P

nP4mRic.jpg
Meanwhile, now that Bobbo is reaching old age, I decided to hatch another Game Boy Tamagotchi, and I'm going to try out the method for obtaining Mimitchi that's outlined here. Supposedly, picking the black egg and feeding the Tamagotchi nothing but carrots for six in-game days will result in Mimitchi. We shall see! :mimitchi:

LBZgcjD.jpg
Living in the room next door, we now have Bimmy! :lol: He isn't very fond of carrots, but unfortunately for him they're all that he'll be getting for the next six days...

It turns out that the different rooms have different wallpaper, different music, and even a differently-placed window so that you can tell which room it is at a glance. I think that this is a really nice touch. :)

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2