Giga Pets old and the recent Giga Pets AR

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the AR T-Rex and I've been running the Jurassic Park Giga Pet for months since I'm dead-set on trying to get it to live longer than 4 days (it always dies as soon as it celebrates its birthday on day 5).

I love both. They're both adorable and fun and I think it's kinda unique to have a dinosaur Giga Pet since before they've pretty much just been the standard cat and dog, as well as the monkey, frog, and koala. I like how they kept some bits of the original T-Rex design, but I LOVE the new animations. I know it's just pixels on a screen but it was adorable and endeared it to me. I also like how there were multiple games to choose from.

What people were saying on Amazon about it re-starting itself was true though. Unlike those reviewers, who actually had a week with their AR T-Rex, mine restarted itself after about two or three days. The noise was pretty obnoxious and eventually I had to take the batteries out to stop its god-awful ticking noise.

The controls when naming it was pretty weird too. It took awhile for me to figure out how to finish naming it without stretching out the name to fill out the allotted character space since I wanted to name it Sue. It was easier to name the pet on the Jurassic Park one, since the controls were more or less the same as the other Giga Pets. Take this with a grain of salt though since my point of comparison is Floppy Frog; my first Giga Pet was the dog and that was over twenty years ago.

IMO the app was pretty pointless. I think I'd have liked it more if they could expand it to playing, like, mini-games with the pet or exploring some kind of world with it instead of just playing fetch with it or whatever.

I hope they fix the resetting issue because I love the new AR Giga Pets and would love to have one that actually works instead of resetting itself after a couple days. Also, if they could get rid of the ticking noise in the start-up animation, that'd be awesome too.

2 hours ago, Eggiweg said:

They're coming out with a second wave of devices with glitch fixes and a longer battery life.

Oh nice - right when I thought that things had gone quiet with these! :D

I'm still hoping that they'll actually release the Giga Pets AR penguin that they teased before, too. ;)

I heard about the new AR Gigas yesterday! It's pretty cool that they brought back the Jurassic Park shell design too. The Troll Giga Pets look creepy, though I wanna get the Pixie one when those come out.

Sadly Top-secret Toys put a post on there Instagram saying that they will be delaying the release of the GigaPets AR and Trolls, so we might have to wait a while to see any other details.  :angry:

Sadly Top-secret Toys put a post on there Instagram saying that they will be delaying the release of the GigaPets AR and Trolls, so we might have to wait a while to see any other details.  :angry:
That sucks. I can be patient though. Sheltering in place is an exercise in patience lol

Latest posts

Back