Sign in to follow this  
*CrazyChick*

Tamagotchi ON Wonder Garden

Posted (edited)

It's disappointing that it appears that they've gone to the effort of removing content for this release. But, I suppose that that's business - why offer more for a single price when they can split it in two and sell it twice? :P It's certainly been done before in other industries. I guess that they don't want to set a standard of offering more for that flat $60 fee when they're open about the customers that they've surveyed wanting to buy another device!

It's understandable, but still disappointing because we know that other customers were given more content for the same price.

6 hours ago, Purimatchi! said:

I know that it was shown at the toy fair, but that does not mean it has to be released within a specific time frame. 

Actually, it kind of does. ;) These fairs are for retail-buyers to pick products for their stores to sell during that year/season/whatever-period-the-fair-covers. If an item is at one of these events, then it's being pitched to retailers for release during one of that year's big shopping seasons.

If stuff from these events doesn't appear at retailers, it means that most or all of them passed on it, so it won't see release at all. Sometimes some ignored items get another shot the following year, but very often they don't and end up being entirely cancelled.

6 hours ago, Naze77 said:

They dont have to share statistics to explain them choices. That's what gouvernement do, not company. They sell something, buy it or not, like it or not. Off course i would like to have some informations too but...

Yeah, this is the sort of information that investors are privy to, rather than the general public and fan-sites. That said, some companies do publish their Investor Relations documents publically somewhere on their corporate websites, so maybe that's something to look into?

As an aside, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Actually, it kind of does. ;) These fairs are for retail-buyers to pick products for their stores to sell during that year/season/whatever-period-the-fair-covers. If an item is at one of these events, then it's being pitched to retailers for release during one of that year's big shopping seasons.

If stuff from these events doesn't appear at retailers, it means that most or all of them passed on it, so it won't see release at all. Sometimes some ignored items get another shot the following year, but very often they don't and end up being entirely cancelled.

Yeah, this is the sort of information that investors are privy to, rather than the general public and fan-sites. That said, some companies do publish their Investor Relations documents publically somewhere on their corporate websites, so maybe that's something to look into?

As an aside, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)

That makes sense that then! Thank you for enlightening me on the logistics of the Toy Fair, I appreciate it! 

Since they picked up some big companies such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy, I would say based off of what you are saying si that it is most likely doing well, hence why other big retailers picked up the TMGC On Line! That is promising for the future of Tamagotchi and I hope that the future maintains successful too!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

side, what retailers pick up from the trade-shows can also give us a little bit of insight into what they feel sells well enough to warrant carrying a line, so we can at least extrapolate some small clues from that. :)

Yep, that's why i said Tamagotchi is doing well. And when a brand is doing well, you can push further doing everything you can to increase quality and maintain public and fans attention. Or you can release nanos and half japanese version, knowing that people will buy anyway...

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much, I figured they'd cut some, considering they do know their audience imports, so why not give a lite version to English regions and still get sales from their Fantasy meets? I could be wrong though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Naze77 said:

and half japanese version, knowing that people will buy anyway...

Perhaps we should've seen this coming from the "functional but unaltered" approach that was taken with the English translation? :lol:

1 minute ago, *CrazyChick* said:

I wouldn't worry too much, I figured they'd cut some, considering they do know their audience imports, so why not give a lite version to English regions and still get sales from their Fantasy meets? I could be wrong though.

Yeah, they'll definitely be aware that there are hardcore fans who import, but we have to keep in mind that we're not their target audience - their job is to maximise profit from that group, and that group usually doesn't know about imports or foreign versions of products. That group has seen the Tamagotchi On's existing versions and have had their expectations set by them, and won't know that the Wonder Garden is a cut-down Fantasy.

By the same token, of course, we're the hardcore fans who do know about and engage with such things, so we're welcome to contribute to foreign sales and get the extra content that we know about. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, *CrazyChick* said:

Why they make so much efforts to do a lite version when they could just translate the original meets? (Mister blinky does patch for some Tamagotchi releases, so it must not be that hard) 

Posted (edited)

https://www.siliconera.com/bandai-america-talks-about-tamagotchis-and-the-localization-process/

I found this article via a post from Tama Tea (TMGC Tea) and this kind of sheds the light and gives clarity some of my previous questions, such as localization time, percentages on user base, which is kind of surprising, and several other things. I found this article, who also interviewed Tara Badie. 

Thank you Tara Badie for shedding light on some of the things that some of the Tamagotchi fans really want to know! Also thank you Jenni Lada for hosting the interview as well!

Edited by Purimatchi!
removed one word
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So...now that this turned out to be a wash, I figure I can still spend my $60 on something. I'm not crazy about the newer characters that populate much of the On/Meets, but I find the Tama versions of the Sanrio characters simply adorable, as are the Fantasy versions. Which one of those two would you folks recommend to supplement my Magic?

Edited by Loke
Typos

Btw, on entertainment earth the price is $64.99. So, it's more expensive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tacoburritotchi said:

Btw, on entertainment earth the price is $64.99. So, it's more expensive.

The last post on page 3 of the discussion I did a giant post break down of pros and cons of each of the website that have the pre order listings up! :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tacoburritotchi said:

Oh, okay. Sorry :blink:

No worries, I just wanted to let you know that I am trying to compile places in one post, I will try to do a final post later once the other retailers post their listings! I also found one, called galactic Toys and Collectibles.

The [price is 54.99 for each device and the shipping is not much and does not change if you add more than one in your cart. Right now they look like the best place to purchase from if you want one that is the cheapest! 

The only thing that has me hesitant from placing a pre-order through them is that are not an 'official' retailer, which doesn't mean that they can't receive the TMGC's. From a quick Google search, it looks like they are a shop located in Michigan if I remember correctly. 

Links:

Turquoise: https://galactictoys.com/products/bandai-tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden-turquoise-virtual-pet-august-2020-pre-order?_pos=3&_sid=7fe935317&_ss=r

Lavender: https://galactictoys.com/products/bandai-tamagotchi-on-wonder-garden-lavender-virtual-pet-august-2020-pre-order

• Like 1

Ah, okay. But I live in Malaysia, so if i wanna buy it i'll have to buy from a site with international shipping. :blink: 

• Like 2

I have a feeling that separate Cinderella and Aladdin versions of the On are coming at some point down the road.

I theorize that Bandai America is doing stuff like this to try and make money without Power Rangers since they no longer have that franchise to bank on.

• Like 1

I don't really like Power Rangers anyway.

Posted (edited)

So now people think the plan is to split it up in multiple games. If that's the plan, that would actually be good news, as it would mean they're planning to keep localizing for a while, and probably release in the rest of the world too. I don't think missing a few characters and locations is a big deal. They could have made a fourth revision Tamagotchi Friends instead. Or nothing, like normally.

Edited by Joc
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Joc said:

So now people think the plan is to split it up in multiple games. If that's the plan, that would actually be good news, as it would mean they're planning to keep localizing for a while, and probably release in the rest of the world too. I don't think missing a few characters and locations is a big deal. They could have made a fourth revision Tamagotchi Friends instead. Or nothing, like normally.

I don't think it's usefull to split the differents versions of the meets... Generally the life span of a tamagotchi version is one year or two. And the first meets was released in japan two years ago. We don't have any news concerning a new meets. We can logically think that a new tamagotchi can be in developpement at Bandai Japan. So the on was released one year ago. if they release the sanrio, pastel, and sweets every 6 months, they had the time to move on....

I can be wrong but I don't think we will have all the japanese releases. So splitting the releases...

• Like 2