Lost data in V1, nostalgia blow

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roses

Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently started playing again with my old V1 Tamagotchi (Bandai, Wiz 2004). When I put a new battery, I was able to choose between "download" and "reset", picked "download", and my new Tama continued the family line. A small recurring problem though: sometimes when the Tamagotchi took a little shock, it would reset, and I had to pick again between "download" and "reset" (thus loosing  some progress, but still finding my Tama back). But earlier today, when I got it out of my bag, I found the screen with a new egg, and when I pressed a button to start it again, it asked me the date and time, no "download" VS "reset" choice... I don't know why... Maybe because it took two bumps and it caused a reset over a reset? 

Anyway, what I'd like to know is if there is a way to retrieve the lost data: the Tama I was taking care of before the incident (her name is Hop and she is loved) and my list of friends. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but at least the list was pretty precious to me as it registered all the Tamas of my friends from like 15 years ago... Quite the memories...

(I do feel really bad about bringing it with me and not having taken pictures of the long list before, right now...)

Please, if anyone knows of a way to download again when the "download" option was not presented to you/you missed it, it would be awesome!

Wishing you a good day!

The only thing I can think of is maybe if you wait a little bit, take the battery out, and then put it back in you might get the download option back. Unfortunately, having constant power loss on a Tamagotchi will eventually lead to the data being deleted which is why you should always wait a little while before putting the batteries back in - unless you're doing a quick battery change whereupon certain models will not register a difference. Quickly pulling the batteries in and out of a Tamagotchi is one way of forcing it to load improperly with scrambled graphics and usually that results in the program crashing and resetting (at least from my limited experience tampering with my vintage tamas). Perhaps that happened to your V1 and caused it to reset.

All I found poking around the forums was that data is saved after certain events like waking up or evolving (possibly connecting also). I speculate that actually restoring an old save file after it is wiped may require extensive technical abilities, assuming it is even possible as tamas are very compact devices and might not retain any older data.

Hope this helps and, if not, I'm sorry you lost that data. I can partly relate to that since I completely missed the chance of using the download function when I reactivated my first ever tama a few years ago and it would have been cool to see what my 6 year old self actually accomplished.

Thank you so much for your response!
So, now I do have the download option, but it's a new baby I get... I think I know the answer, but I'll continue on the denial slope since you never know: Does that mean that the new save has definitely erased the old? Or maybe if I press the reset button on the back while saying please with my fingers crossed enough times I can get the old one back?

You're welcome :^)

Did you actually input any data when you found the new egg? If you did that, the device may have indeed made a new save file and replaced it. If you didn't do anything and left the setup incomplete, I'm not sure if it would have immediately created a new save file or not. Unfortunately, the topic of save files and restoring data isn't really talked about so there's not much we can work from. We can only really experiment now which is why I suggested resetting it on the off chance that maybe the download feature would come back. It's at least worth trying just to see what happens and perhaps you might discover something.

If it doesn't work out, at least you got a fresher glimpse into your childhood even if it was momentary. The fact you even have one of your childhood Tamagotchis is worth celebrating as quite a few members here rejoined the hobby saying that they had lost or given away their older devices (it was quite common to hear "I had a big collection back in the old days"). The first post I made on this forum was in response to someone asking if about a particular shell that was the exact same design of my brother's first tama. I had been desperately searching for his tama in the depths of his room and my "quest" ended unsuccessfully with the only explanation being a vague memory that it had broken down and was tossed away. So even if it doesn't have your 15 year old save file, your V1 still has that special quality of being a relic from those bygone days.

I did input new data now. Which was not a very smart idea, but well, it's done, and I'm a little afraid to cause the Tamagotchi to stop working altogether by trying too much, as I've been going between reset and download more than we're supposed to...

Anyway, you're very right that I am fortunate to have it with me in good condition to begin with. I admit I hadn't put much thought into the fact that some fans would already consider me lucky for that. My Tamagotchi lost its memories, it's sad, but I didn't, so I gess it could be much much worse. ;o)

Thanks a lot for your support! =3

For what it's worth, the unit resetting if it's jolted is most likely due to the battery contacts having been flattened either due to long-term use or due to old batteries being left in the unit for a long time. This can usually be remedied by using a very small flat-head screwdriver to VERY carefully bend the contacts up towards you a little bit. It's the first thing that I do with old or used virtual pets.

It can't bring the data back (unfortunately, I don't think that anything can), but it might help to prevent it from being lost again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I figured it could be that from posts of people having the same problem. For now I've simply tried to close it tighter to see if it can be enough, and if a jolt-reset happens again I'll try fixing the contacts.

Have you found a solution? I have a similar problem
Its a pretty old post at this point the user themself hasn't been back in two years, and I've never heard of anyone successfully recovering lost data from a Tama after experiencing this situation unfortunately.
I'm gonna lock this post as per the bumping rule, but if you'd like to continue this topic feel free to create one on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back