Vintage Sun Damage/Discoloration

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shulk

Reaction score
Mame House on Mame Street in Mame City on Tamagotc
I know the white Santagotchi and Otch are prone to discoloration, does anyone know if the White Morino or white/blue Mothra are prone to it, too? I noticed the Mothra I bought seems to have discoloration on the plastic packaging, so I assume that's not unheard of. I'm more concerned about the Tamas anyway as I intend to use them.

I'm not 100% sure about the White Morino, but I do know the white + blue Mothra isn't immune to discoloration. I've seen eBay listings with OOB Mothras that are slightly discolored, and you can see an example of it here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711177495/very-old-incld-deep-discoloration?ref=reviews

But more often I've seen the actual packaging discolored, with the seller providing additional photos of the tama inside unharmed. 

I'd say it's not unheard of, but if/when it does occur it doesn't seem to be too noticeable, especially since the Mothra has such a bold pattern on it!  ^_^

I'm not 100% sure about the White Morino, but I do know the white + blue Mothra isn't immune to discoloration. I've seen eBay listings with OOB Mothras that are slightly discolored, and you can see an example of it here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711177495/very-old-incld-deep-discoloration?ref=reviews

But more often I've seen the actual packaging discolored, with the seller providing additional photos of the tama inside unharmed. 

I'd say it's not unheard of, but if/when it does occur it doesn't seem to be too noticeable, especially since the Mothra has such a bold pattern on it!  ^_^
I see, that’s not so bad. But the packaging is definitely discoloured, lol. Although it could be the natural colour of the package. I asked the seller for closer pics after I paid and it could be the darker, more realistic art style on the packaging compared to the Morino and Angel. 

I see, that’s not so bad. But the packaging is definitely discoloured, lol. Although it could be the natural colour of the package. I asked the seller for closer pics after I paid and it could be the darker, more realistic art style on the packaging compared to the Morino and Angel. 
That's true, the Mothra packaging illustration is a bit darker. Did the seller ever remove the tamas from the packaging, or are they willing to? I did see the post that you bought this trio from and the Mothra didn't look unusually dark to me - I hope it's everything you wish for when it does arrive!  ^_^

That's true, the Mothra packaging illustration is a bit darker. Did the seller ever remove the tamas from the packaging, or are they willing to? I did see the post that you bought this trio from and the Mothra didn't look unusually dark to me - I hope it's everything you wish for when it does arrive!  ^_^
They shipped so it’s too late until it gets to my bfs house. As long as it works it’s not too big of a problem. I’ll mostly be using the packaging to store the Tampa’s when I’m not running them anyway like I do with my JP and English Angels.

That’s why they were so cheap, too. The seller couldn’t guarantee they work cause they’re NIB, but I think it’s worth the risk. I didn’t see any battery problems in the videos I was sent, and I doubt they’d be hard to fix. 

Neither of my English or JP Angels were used when I got them if I remember and they worked great, still do!

Last edited by a moderator:
They shipped so it’s too late until it gets to my bfs house. As long as it works it’s not too big of a problem. I’ll mostly be using the packaging to store the Tampa’s when I’m not running them anyway like I do with my JP and English Angels.

That’s why they were so cheap, too. The seller couldn’t guarantee they work cause they’re NIB, but I think it’s worth the risk. I didn’t see any battery problems in the videos I was sent, and I doubt they’d be hard to fix. 
I agree, as long as it works you can usually fix and/or live with any aesthetic faults. But that reminds me - I did see someone in the Tamagotchi Collectors group post a solution to sun discoloration - if the tamas do arrive discolored you could try it, although it will also lighten the actual design so it might be more trouble than its worth, especially since the Mothra design covers basically the entire shell.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TamagotchiCollectors/?post_id=1942578189098017

Shulk said:
Neither of my English or JP Angels were used when I got them if I remember and they worked great, still do!
Same here, in my previous collection I had NIB Angels, Morinos, and the Osu/Mesu with the white + hearts shells and they were all perfectly fine! I really think it'll work out

Also, I'm looking at the photo of the listing again and it really seems like it's just the plastic that's darkened. The Morino looks great by the way, I don't think that one will have any trouble.

I agree, as long as it works you can usually fix and/or live with any aesthetic faults. But that reminds me - I did see someone in the Tamagotchi Collectors group post a solution to sun discoloration - if the tamas do arrive discolored you could try it, although it will also lighten the actual design so it might be more trouble than its worth, especially since the Mothra design covers basically the entire shell.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TamagotchiCollectors/?post_id=1942578189098017

Same here, in my previous collection I had NIB Angels, Morinos, and the Osu/Mesu with the white + hearts shells and they were all perfectly fine! I really think it'll work out

Also, I'm looking at the photo of the listing again and it really seems like it's just the plastic that's darkened. The Morino looks great by the way, I don't think that one will have any trouble.
Yeah, I got closer pics of all three, it definitely looks like the plastic going by the back flaps. I’d post a pic. But doing it on these forums is kinda hard.

Latest posts

Back