Tamagotchi On Screen Glitch?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P0LYB1UZ

Reaction score
I don't understand why but there will be times that I wake up my tamagotchi on and the whole screen will be a garbled error [seen as attached]. It sometimes will last for several minutes and is unusable in this state. Occasionally it will work but the colors will have a few errors going on. After it does so it will go back to normal as if it never even happened. It can't possibly be a heat issue because it will do this no matter where I am or how hot it is.

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?
EeoJFONUwAMWRYX

Update: pressing buttons still makes yhe normal sound responses. My tamagotchi will even play happy sounds if i press the third button. It's just the screen.

I have  no idea, but that looks terrible! :(
It is... it makes it very hard to take good care of because it will still call out if it poops, is hungry or otherwise needs help- and i can't see anything in order to help.

Tacoburritotchi said:
Also, what type of batteries do you use?

Just asking as it could be linked to the problem.
I'm using standard AAA batteries. The On uses 2 of them. They're actually brand new as i just put them in a few hours ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really would try popping in a reputable brand of batteries like Duracell or Energizer just to eliminate the batteries being the cause of this. The batteries are the source of power for the Tama, and if the ones you are using aren't giving it the proper voltage it requires it could be the reason why the screen isn't loading the images properly.

I really would try popping in a reputable brand of batteries like Duracell or Energizer just to eliminate the batteries being the cause of this. The batteries are the source of power for the Tama, and if the ones you are using aren't giving it the proper voltage it requires it could be the reason why the screen isn't loading the images properly.
Kirkland is a very reputable brand where I live but I'll give it a shot. I'll add as a note here that my sister has a pink one that doesn't experience this issue at all.

We originally got them so we could play with fhem together but this has made it kind of tricky

Kirkland is a very reputable brand where I live but I'll give it a shot. I'll add as a note here that my sister has a pink one that doesn't experience this issue at all.

We originally got them so we could play with fhem together but this has made it kind of tricky
Ah ok, that's different if your sister is using the same batteries also and not experiencing any issues 😕 I would still give it a shot though, it'll be worth not having to replace the Tama and lose your progress if it solves your problem. Really hoping for the best for you, sucks when people run into issues like these 😢 

I've seen this problem reported before, but in those cases the issue was permanent, rather than intermittent. Given that, my understanding is that it's a manufacturing problem - if it's still under warranty, then it would be best to contact the retailer that you got it from, or Bandai, in order to get it replaced.

It's definitely the right move to rule out battery issues first, though as @321Boom alludes to, since you've got two units in the household that are using the same batteries, and only one Tamagotchi is experiencing this problem, it seems less likely that the batteries are the cause.

Ah ok, that's different if your sister is using the same batteries also and not experiencing any issues 😕 I would still give it a shot though, it'll be worth not having to replace the Tama and lose your progress if it solves your problem. Really hoping for the best for you, sucks when people run into issues like these 😢 
I just got home with a brand new pack of Duracell and swapped it out.

Unfortunately this has made no difference, though i did have enough visual information to hit continue and give my tama some medicine before having it go right back to the bone zone

EessZPwUEAAwZKq

I've seen this problem reported before, but in those cases the issue was permanent, rather than intermittent. Given that, my understanding is that it's a manufacturing problem - if it's still under warranty, then it would be best to contact the retailer that you got it from, or Bandai, in order to get it replaced.

It's definitely the right move to rule out battery issues first, though as @321Boom alludes to, since you've got two units in the household that are using the same batteries, and only one Tamagotchi is experiencing this problem, it seems less likely that the batteries are the cause.
This is probably going to have to be my course of action. That's a bummer. Being a manufacturing issue is the only thing that really makes sense :wacko:

As sad as it makes me, the issue does appear to be getting more and more persistent, having lasted an entire hour this morning. It may be time to retire this particular On.

I was not able to locate the receipt for the poor thing but i was able to find the same model and color listed online. It is expected to deliver on Monday. I'm sad to see this one go but it's more than likely going to end up getting sick and dying in this state, as it seems to cry out while glitched pretty frequently.

Looks like a screen problem, if you are really going to write it off, you could try disassembling it and checking the ribbon cable which connects the lcd screen to the PCB. It might be loose (my money is on this) or there may be tears. You could also try reflowing the solder points on the connector if that doesn't solve the problem. I highly recommend sending it back to Bandai if you can find the receipt. Someone on reddit has posted a few pictures of what that would look like here.

Looks like a screen problem, if you are really going to write it off, you could try disassembling it and checking the ribbon cable which connects the lcd screen to the PCB. It might be loose (my money is on this) or there may be tears. You could also try reflowing the solder points on the connector if that doesn't solve the problem. I highly recommend sending it back to Bandai if you can find the receipt. Someone on reddit has posted a few pictures of what that would look like here.
This is a very helpful response but i don't know if I'm all that confident in my soldering skills for such a small device. I will definitely be on the lookout for the receipt. Knowing what the inside looks like, I think this us probably my precise issue: a loose or damaged ribbon cable. It arrived as such and only did this a few times when new but now it's near constant. If what Penguin said is true, it may become permanent with more time. :(

I just got home with a brand new pack of Duracell and swapped it out.

Unfortunately this has made no difference, though i did have enough visual information to hit continue and give my tama some medicine before having it go right back to the bone zone
Oh no, I'm TERRIBLY sorry to hear that 😢 Yeah, if the batteries didn't solve your problem, then a manufacturing issue would have been my next bet as @Eggiweg and @Penguin-keeper suggested :(  

This is a very helpful response but i don't know if I'm all that confident in my soldering skills for such a small device. I will definitely be on the lookout for the receipt. Knowing what the inside looks like, I think this us probably my precise issue: a loose or damaged ribbon cable. It arrived as such and only did this a few times when new but now it's near constant. If what Penguin said is true, it may become permanent with more time. :(
I too agree with @Eggiweg on trying to send it back to Bandai if possible and hopefully get a new replacement, so you don't have any more problems like this with it in the future. It sounds like it's relatively new from your posts, so you shouldn't try fixing it yourself and should still be under warranty.

Actually I've had it long enough to have gone through several generations with the occasional issue and then had it sit on my shelf for a while. It became less and less usable until that line died and i didn't want to fuss with it anymore. I tend to play with my tamas in spurts. If i bring one of em a new battery i will do it to all of them.

My Pac-Man is actually the newest one

Actually I've had it long enough to have gone through several generations with the occasional issue and then had it sit on my shelf for a while. It became less and less usable until that line died and i didn't want to fuss with it anymore.
Hmm, ok :(  I reckon you've had it for less than a year though (since the ON got released in July 2019), so it really should still be covered by warranty I imagine? (unless you're gutsy enough to try Eggiweg's suggestion). I still would recommend getting a replacement if possible though (before opening it up yourself and voiding the warranty if it's still applicable), so this nasty annoyance doesn't pop up again in the future for you, and you could put your mind at ease knowing you have a new device, rather than worrying that this problem could pop up again :(  

I too agree with @Eggiweg on trying to send it back to Bandai if possible and hopefully get a new replacement, so you don't have any more problems like this with it in the future. It sounds like it's relatively new from your posts, so you shouldn't try fixing it yourself and should still be under warranty.
TL;DR yeet the cursed thing back to bandai before the warranty runs out and the contract is sealed

Latest posts

Back