Custom wearable Tamagotchi Original - "Tamawatchi"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin-keeper

Reaction score
Back in the 1990s, I collected LCD game-watches and character-themed digital watches, and I always dreamed of buying a watch-format Tamagotchi to go with them. Though other competing brands offered watch virtual pets, Bandai did not - they only licensed out the Tamagotchi livery for use on themed versions of standard analogue and digital watches. So, 23 years later, I've decided to make my own;

mPpUFZC.jpg

Presenting the "Tamawatchi"! :D

Though the name "Tamawatchi" was officially used for a line of Tamagotchi-themed non-virtual pet watches in, I believe, the Connection era, back in 1997 I always imagined it as the name that they would use for a watch version of the iconic virtual pet.

Since this was based on an imagined product from my childhood, I specifically wanted a very 1990s look for this project, so that it would fit in with the watches that I have from that era. So, I purchased the newly-released bright-green Neon Tamagotchi Original Gen 1 and a dark-green fabric watch-strap on Amazon UK, since the two combined gave me exactly the look that I wanted. :D

zEVZX1G.jpg

As with my "Tamagotchi Pinny" custom project, I attached brooch-bars to the back of the device using Gorilla Super Glue. Since I've got past experience now, the back of this one looks a lot tidier - not that it matters too much, since it won't be seen when it's in use. :p I used three brooch-bars so as to evenly distribute the weight of the device when it's attached to its strap (two are on the battery-door, and one is at the top of the device itself), although unlike the Tamagotchi Pinny, the Tamawatchi is a bit too heavy to wear as a pin. Also, unfortunately, for this project, I had to remove the iconic ball-chain, because on a watch it would just get in the way!

There are better ways of making a Tamagotchi into a watch, but since I handle my things carefully, this quick-and-easy method will hold up just fine for my use-case.

F7KFNi5.jpg

Here's the Tamawatchi with a 1990s Tamagotchi Fantasy Dome bubble-watch. The Tamawatchi doesn't look especially out-of-place, which I'm happy about. :)

If Bandai ever makes an official watch-format Tamagotchi, I'll be right there pre-ordering one at the earliest opportunity, but for now, at least I finally have some semblance of the "Tamawatchi" that I always wanted to own. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back