Tamagotchi's Lore

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon_p

Reaction score
Hey there, i'm really curious about this scene at my Tamagotchi package.

Could someone please xplain me what's happening there? Why there are some dudes drilling the earth and some others are in burning lava; what about the UFO? Google translate won't work with that layout, just some small pieces of text can be translated and makes no sense...

script%3E

Unfortunately, my Japanese ability is nearly non-existent, so I can't provide a translation of the scene on the packaging, but the original Tamagotchi lore can be explained by way of these two Tamagotchi Wiki entries;

https://tamagotchi.fandom.com/wiki/Professor_Banzo

https://tamagotchi.fandom.com/wiki/Mikachu

Basically, the Tamagotchis are tiny aliens who visit other planets seemingly so as to learn more about them, and they were discovered by Professor Banzo and his assistant Mikachu after a UFO carrying some of the aliens crash-landed in the Sumida River in Tokyo.

The creatures couldn't survive in Earth's atmosphere, so the professor created a device that could house them so that a human could care for them; The device resembled an egg and also had a clock function, so it was dubbed the "Tamagotchi House", where "Tamago" comes from the Japanese word for "egg", and "gotch" comes from the English loanword "watch" (the "i" part is silent in Japan). This led to the entire species being named "Tamagotchi", and the original premise of the toy is that you're raising these alien creatures who otherwise can't survive on Earth.

Later generatons of the toys feature the Tamagotchis visiting various locations, and from what I can tell the premise shifted slightly over time, so that you're no longer raising the creature directly within your device, but are instead using it to communicate with a creature who lives on Tamagotchi Planet. (This is further suggested by Tamagotchi: The Movie, where the device belonging to the main human character, Tanpopo, ceases to operate when she ends up on Tamagotchi Planet herself.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know next to no japanese, but I think at the very top in the ufo, I think Mametchi is saying "it also functions as a watch" and "we came here on a comet". I think Hashizotchi is saying "try getting mametchi with good care". The bit in the middle just names the icons (food, toilet etc...)

A lot of the isolated bits of text are just sound effects.

The bit on the left says "hyper-interactive digital pet". The red on the bottom let says "tamagotchi are pocket pets, let's raise them with love". The red banner in the centre just says "new species discovered, 20th anniversary edition". Can't make out the text behind the plastic.

Latest posts

Back