Production Unit Statistics

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimitchi ^o^

Reaction score
I had made a status update questioning this earlier, but I figured I should make it an actual forum post for serious discussion. :)  

My question is:

Does anyone know how to find the production unit statistics of each tamagotchi version? I was browsing Tamashell earlier and had seen that the Gold V3 only had 3,000 units produced, which got me curious about the productions of units of other shells in general.

Lets take the V3 for example, since it's already been mentioned.

I have:

• Pink w/ Cherries (80806)

image1.jpg

• L-Green w/ Flowers (50406)

image0.jpg

• L-Blue w/ Balls (x2) (62606) (22606)

image4.jpg

• Blue w/ Constellations (03606)

image2.jpg

• Gray w/ Graffiti (51506)

image3.jpg

(Unfortunately the Blue w/ Surf V3 had to be excluded from this, as I received it with a backing different from it's actual back cover. My modified V3 as well because the backing has been sanded down and painted over, whoops;;)

However, I have no idea what these numbers represent. I'm sure these numbers aren't EXACTLY the production number of the Tamagotchi, as I would have some insane amount of luck to have each of these V3's ending in 06. Im assuming the first three numbers are the production unit of the Tamagotchi and the 06 means something else, but does anyone else have any knowledge to share on the topic?

I know this discussion wont result in any ground-breaking discovery, but it's just something that would be interesting to know! ^_^  

However, I have no idea what these numbers represent. I'm sure these numbers aren't EXACTLY the production number of the Tamagotchi, as I would have some insane amount of luck to have each of these V3's ending in 06. Im assuming the first three numbers are the production unit of the Tamagotchi and the 06 means something else, but does anyone else have any knowledge to share on the topic?
I may be misremembering this, but I recall hearing somewhere (possibly in one of @hwd45's topics? :huh: ) that those etched numbers pertain to the production date. Again, I could be wrong on that, but that's what's springing to mind for some reason.

those etched numbers pertain to the production date
That would make sense! The V3 was released in February '06 in the US. But if that's the case, then I have no leads on how to find the production unit number. :(  iTamannadi mentioned that it was on the package, but with the selling of connection tama's today thats next to impossible if you want to avoid spending $150+. 

I feel like I vaguely remember hearing about being able to see something pertaining to the production of the Tama by debugging it? I don't know where I saw that though. 😕 

I think I have one connection package, but I'm not sure if it's a V3. Let me dig through my box and find it to see if I can find a number that may hint at production.

It turns out I have two V3 packages!

image1.jpg
image0.jpg

I apologize for the huge images, but the size is important, haha. In the very bottom right corner there's an item number, I'm assuming that would mean these belong to the 19,442nd and 19,450th V3's made? 

I unfortunately don't remember which of my V3's these packages belong to. :(  

Two questions are raised though:

1) how many total were made? 19442/?

2) Is there any way to figure out the unit number of a V3 without packaging, or will that information be lost to time? 

I'll try to do more digging, but I'd love any input from those interested!

In the very bottom right corner there's an item number, I'm assuming that would mean these belong to the 19,442nd and 19,450th V3's made? 
Since these parts would be printed en-masse (and it's unlikely that they would've done incremental full-colour glossy prints for every individual unit ever made due to print lead-times), I suspect that, in this case, the item-number refers to either a specific shell design or to a specific assortment of shells, depending on how Bandai numbers these things. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since these parts would be printed en-masse (and it's unlikely that they would've done incremental full-colour glossy prints for every individual unit ever made due to print lead-times), I suspect that, in this case, the item-number refers to either a specific shell design or to a specific assortment of shells, depending on how Bandai numbers these things. :)
I think this is likely to be right - it's worth noting that they're still doing this now. If I link to one of the P1/2 re-release shells, for example, you'll see each one has an "Item Number".

I may be misremembering this, but I recall hearing somewhere (possibly in one of @hwd45's topics? :huh: ) that those etched numbers pertain to the production date. Again, I could be wrong on that, but that's what's springing to mind for some reason.
This too - the number printed into the back of the shell matches a production date in the following way - suppose the number is ABCDE, then the date of production in the form Y-MM-DD is E-DC-BA - so for example, 51506 corresponds to May 15th 2006 (6-05-15). I've actually been collecting very large amounts of these numbers for the US V2 shells in order to figure out what the production waves were for that version. A fun fact that about the V2 dates I've bumped into so far is that all 51 of the dates I've seen correspond to weekdays - there's not a single weekend production date.

I feel like I vaguely remember hearing about being able to see something pertaining to the production of the Tama by debugging it? I don't know where I saw that though. 😕 
This would be a neat feature if it were true, but I don't think it is sadly. There's still some cool things you can infer by performing a ROM test on a device though - the ROM version gives some indication of the general time a device was produced and there's some sort of connection frequency feature, or something (? I'm not sure, I've not investigated this much yet) which the device also tells you, but nothing about the specific number of produced devices.

Latest posts

Back