Tamagotchi Pix?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purple pyonkotchi

Reaction score
On twitter i just saw this announcement for a new tamagotchi coming out, not sure if it should go in announcements or rumors since it's not an official announcement yet, but... 

https://twitter.com/TamagotchiWiki/status/1352677585696780292

EsWsA9EXEAIlkq7
EsWsBlxWMAMy4RY

it was apparently leaked on amazon and has a release date of august this year! Theres more details in the twitter thread but I think it looks super interesting! I'm really excited about the AR camera function. i was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this version. 

It's an interesting idea, and not at all what I expected. I do wonder if the ~100 USD price will ward off potential buyers, but a Tamagotchi that hinges primarily around social networking is intruiging. 

edit: Thinking about this a little more, I think the angle here is definetly a "not-Instagram" for children. I feel a little weird about it, but I imagine the target demographic will be really into it. Conversely, though, I wonder what the reaction from parents will be depending on the extent of this social nework.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to this, it's an interesting concept and I love the idea of being able to have a photo-shoot with my own character. AR camera definitely is an eye catcher. We'll see how it goes though, me personally I'll remain positive and hope it's fun. Due to the high price mark I think I'll probably settle with a single device, instead of purchasing a pair. Purple is my favorite so far but the design is subject to change until release.

i REALLY like the design of these tamas but the social network aspect.. scares me? not fully but in a like... what? i know i was literally before i saw the announcement talking about how the new tamas are all about mixing traits n genetics and stuff and how i wanted to grow classic tamas again but i feel. conflicted toward tamagotchi with a camera, yknow? tama social media....

Conversely, though, I wonder what the reaction from parents will be depending on the extent of this social nework.
That is very good point, especially considering the numerous security breaches regarding data collected from internet-connected toys (sometimes with no safeguards in place at all). See the VTech breach, CloudPets debacle, and far too many others. :(

That is very good point, especially considering the numerous security breaches regarding data collected from internet-connected toys (sometimes with no safeguards in place at all). See the VTech breach, CloudPets debacle, and far too many others. :(
At the very least, it will definitely mean the product will be marketed towards the 13-16 range to comply with GDPR in Europe (and if it launches in the US, COPPA). I don't recall any user security leaks from Bandai at the very least and they operate a number of online services in Japan (although they are pretty antiquated), but you never know when someone will slip up.

woah, i had no idea things like that even happened.
Unfortunately, there have been quite a few cases like this (another major one, off of the top of my head, was Hello Barbie, and though I can't link to any articles here because at least one of the cases concerned involves swearing, baby monitors have also been affected) - "Internet of Things" security is unfortunately not a high priority for a lot of companies who create such devices, because securing things properly eats into their profits.

that really does make the tamagotchi pix thing a bit concerning... 
As long as Bandai is committed to best practises, then it will be as safe as anything internet-connected can be. And that's assuming that the social-network is internet-connected at all - there's still every chance, given the very limited information that we have about it from the retailer listings, that it could just be a local on-device thing.

The AR camera does seem like a decent use of technology, but I'm not sure about the buttons that we've been used to for 2 and a half decades being replaced by touch pads. Kinda breaks tradition and the pads may not be as responsive in some situations. Still too early to make a definitive call, though.

Not sure if this will be the Meets/On Successor since it seems to have it's primary gimmick be focused on something else, but in any case, this would've been a great time for Bandai to permit homosexual marriages on the Virtual Pet canon. That would've caused explosive hype reactions on Twitter and Tumblr since they're essentially LGBT hotspots.

Any one else get their pre-order cancelled?

Placed on pre-order through Amazon UK, but it cancelled on 30th Jan, by the Supplier.

The AR camera does seem like a decent use of technology, but I'm not sure about the buttons that we've been used to for 2 and a half decades being replaced by touch pads. Kinda breaks tradition and the pads may not be as responsive in some situations. Still too early to make a definitive call, though.
I am filled with mixed emotions about this thing. Firstly those faceplates aren't exactly what I like, but I'm feeling that purple one. Secondly and the point you brought up, the buttons man. Where are my tiny clacky button mashing sounds going to come from if Bandai chooses to pitch them now? What about feeding our tamas in the freezing cold winters if we're outside, and must take our cozy gloves off to do so? Now I'm just nitpicking.  :lol:

Secondly and the point you brought up, the buttons man. Where are my tiny clacky button mashing sounds going to come from if Bandai chooses to pitch them now? What about feeding our tamas in the freezing cold winters if we're outside, and must take our cozy gloves off to do so?
LMAO yeah i feel the same way. im really hoping the touch screen buttons are meant to improve functionality (i know the mix and the on had really bad button lag problems) but i honestly cant see it turning out well, it just feels like cool technology being there just bc its cool technology. The tama profy toy had a pretty bad touch screen, but then again it came out like 10 years ago so im sure bandai has improved since then, but im a little uncertain about it all honestly 

I’m not big on adding photo taking to tamagotchi if I’m honest. I’m blind and the newer tamas are getting increasingly harder to use and it’s making me kinda sad. This is just going the problem worse.  I’m also not super big on a tamagotchi social network given the intended demographic. The concept just feels extremely out of left field for them I guess? I’ll probably still end up buying it but it depends on how much I’ll actually be able to use it and I’ll most likely be getting it second hand if at all. 

I’m blind and the newer tamas are getting increasingly harder to use and it’s making me kinda sad.
The description for the device suggests that this version lacks physical buttons, so that may make it even more difficult to use, unfortunately. :(

I was thinking that maybe the Tamagotchi On app might get a massive update for the pix. Maybe the social media part will be integrated into the app? Since maybe the pics you take on your phone can be transferred to the Tamagotchi or the other way around. Maybe the app will let you add stickers, and you can "share" a new picture on the app? I'd figure maybe there might be a staff to moderate what kind of pics get uploaded. 

I was thinking that maybe the Tamagotchi On app might get a massive update for the pix. Maybe the social media part will be integrated into the app? Since maybe the pics you take on your phone can be transferred to the Tamagotchi or the other way around. Maybe the app will let you add stickers, and you can "share" a new picture on the app? I'd figure maybe there might be a staff to moderate what kind of pics get uploaded. 
oh yeah id completely forgotten about the tamagotchi on app LMAO, i really hope that w the pix it does get a big update like that! it would be so fun for it to become its own little social media kind of thing, maybe like miiverse or something? 

Latest posts

Back