Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Whiten yellowed Tama shell?

Hi! I bought a Tama V4.5 (white with flowers) online but unfortunately it is quite yellowed. Has someone ever tried to whiten that yellowed shell? I am quite sceptical with H2O2 because of the flowers on the front which would probably fade away, too.
The last post to that topic is already 8 years old, maybe there is someone who has a new idea to „fix“ that problem :D

Edited by Flora

Yellowing in plastics of this age is usually caused by flame-retardant chemicals rising to the surface due to exposure to sunlight (sometimes, it doesn't even have to be long-term exposure to create this reaction). The only way that I'm aware of to whiten them, if this is the cause, is to use a solution called "RetroBrite".

However, it has to be done very carefully and in a very specific way, things of this nature aren't guaranteed to work anyway, and if a sealant isn't applied then the yellowing is guaranteed to recur.

Basically, there are very few options available for reversing this issue, and the ones that exist aren't in any way beginner-friendly and could be potentially dangerous. 😕

• Like 1

I would've recommended RetroBrite if anything, but looks like @Penguin-keeper beat me to it.
I can't say for sure if it would remove the flowers or not, I've never used it on any 'patterned' plastic before. Something I can say though, is that it can make the plastic really brittle. I'm not sure if that would be ideal on something like a tama, being pretty small and all.
Even after all that, it's still the best way that comes to mind...

Could you share a picture of it with us?

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tamatchi_
      Hi, i recently decided to re visit my old Tamagotchi ID L due to like an overload of stress (Its my first tama in my current collection of 3) and found it extremely yellowed?
      I've tried the rubber/eraser method and baking soda scrub method but they havent worked at all (ignore the dent in my tama rip), im gonna buy creme developer soon enough but i still dont know what else to do?
      ive briefly looked over methods that require u to soak plastic in different solvents and stuff but i dont know how to take apart my tama and really dont want to stuff it up completely?
      i was just wondering what other methods i could try? my worry is that because its purple, if i try these methods it'll whiten my tamagotchi and get rid of the purple which is something i definitely dont want. 
      Please help me
    • By mrssalvatore
      😍 love tamas but cant figure out how to age quicker HELP PLZZZZZ
    • By Tamagirl_14
      Hello tamatalk peeps! This my kuromametchi and my previous tama had a glitch so I just had to restart my tama and then I hatched a boy and he turned into a kuromametchi.

• By missusmelty
      I’ll start off by saying, I LOVE cleaning tamagotchi’s. 🧽

I’ve bought a few where people have claimed the buttons don’t work, I’ll take a risk, and purchase them. Once receiving them, I delicately take them apart and see what could possibly be wrong. So far I’ve been lucky that all it is, is that they’ve been taken everywhere by their previous owners/owner, collecting dirt, hair, you name it, and with that collecting around/under the buttons is what makes them not work as well as they should. 

After giving them a “bath” and piecing them back together, they work good as new! ☺️ I know these photos aren’t the best in quality, but I had to resize them to be able to upload on here. These two are my most recent ones that I’ve worked on. I wonder who use to own these before they ran into the person I purchased them from?

With that all said, I’ve been on the hunt now for tamagotchi lots/sets that are “broken” and was hoping that people here might be able to point me in the right direction of sellers who do that. I know there were a few on eBay who did, but at the moment I can’t seem to find them selling any. 

• By Tamagirl_14
      My tamagotchi on will not grow up it remained a child this morning and it was supposed to evolve like usual but it now will not evolve. ❓