thoughts on nanos?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purple pyonkotchi

Reaction score
Not sure if a topic about this has been made before, but I've been looking into the nano versions and it's kind of interesting to me. Tamagotchi has done a lot of crossovers in the past, but the amount of crossovers with nanos now is kind of wild, as well as the things they're crossing over with. Like, eevee and sanrio are understandable, pacman is kind of strange but i can see why they'd do that, but the crossovers with popular anime like demon slayer kind of baffle me. I think it's interesting and I don't hate the idea, ive just always thought it was strange and out of place if that makes sense? 

It seems like the nano is becoming one of main tamagotchis now for a lack of a better word, there's a surprisingly large amount of tamas in the nano series and it makes me wonder for the future of the tamagotchi brand. I wonder if it's gonna branch off worldwide like how color tamas are now? I know the jordy nano is south korea exclusive, which is pretty interesting. How far are they gonna go with the nano brand considering how successful it seems to be doing right now? 

The only nano I've ever owned was one of the original versions from 2010... from an aesthetic standpoint I can see why it's appealing, though from a gameplay standpoint I don't get it. It's round and easy to hold, and the way the screen was kind of sunken in looked kinda cool to me. Though there really isn't much in terms of gameplay, which i understand since it's just supposed to be an accessory kind of tamagotchi. I heard of other newer nanos having more games and things to do, though i'm not sure since i haven't looked into other nanos too much yet. I'd love to try out the eevee nano, but the price of it is crazy... 

Tbh, i understand the appeal to an extent, but I don't understand why there are so many nano crossovers (no hate to them tho!). I was curious about what other people think of nanos in terms of what it means for the whole tamagotchi franchise. Is it good that there's so many nanos? is it bad? Will it mean anything for the future of color tamagotchis (like the pix maybe)? 

I don't have one of the original Tamagotchi Nanos because they were never released in the UK, but I'm quite fond of the licensed ones - though admittedly I only have the Pac-Man Tamagotchi so far (but it is a very charming release that appeals to quite a wide audience, since everyone knows Pac-Man, and it's got some neat references for both long-time fans and those who are less familiar with him). :p I also lament the fact that the Eevee X Tamagotchi was so underproduced - I really would've liked to get one of those!

The way I see it, the current Nanos are an option for folks like myself who prefer the older devices and find the colour devices too time-consuming, and who would still like to see new monochrome Tamagotchis. That also seems to allow them to experiment a bit with various gameplay elements. The fact that they're affordable like the original devices is also a big bonus - it's a big contrast to the £80 price that Amazon UK leaked on their now-revoked pre-order page for the upcoming Tamagotchi Pix!

Speaking of the Pix, I don't think that the Nanos mean anything with regard to where the colour line is going - they seem to be aimed at different segments of the market. :) The Nanos are never going to be complex versions - they're not even as complex as the original 1990s devices and their more recent re-issues - but they're a concession to folks who prefer the simpler ones, so that's A-ok.

Last but not least, regarding the amount of crossovers, my take on it is this: They're a good way of pushing the Tamagotchi brand forward, whilst also providing something for fans of various popular franchises* - and the affordability plays into this, too, since £80 devices might not push the brand in the same way. And I think that, in the apparent absence of Bandai re-releasing further 1990s versions (including those that never got English-language releases originally), this is fine - the more the merrier! :D

*On that note, Nanos based on HAL/Nintendo's Kirby series (the Copy Abilities make this a no-brainer), and Marvel's Groot (they've spent several movies and an animated series showcasing his different forms), would be great!

Nanos have become a cash grab for bandai tbh. I only own the Gudetama, Pacman, and Evatchi variations. I would recommend the Gudetama one, I'm not a big fan of him but I find the nano rather fun to run. 

I think Bandai decided the nano format mainly because they're targeting the fans of the crossover, who they might not know what a Tamagotchi actually does. Chances are big fans of Gudetama/Eva/Demon Slayer will purchase the device, but don't know the basic knowledge of raising a tamagotchi, so the features are rather limited. I personally wish the size could be like the OG Tamagotchi, nanos are kinda easy to lose and roll around the bed.

Basically, I think nanos are really just an accessory, since they're pretty low maintenance. I don't hate the variations or what they've became, compared to what they previously were. I think they're pretty neat since Bandai actually made an effort to add references on them. Like the PM nano has cherries, which pacman likes, for a snack and the mini games are so fun. The Evatchi has a watermelon snack which is a reference to one of the characters who owns a watermelon patch. 

I can understand why some people aren't interested in the modern nanos, since they're pretty limited and based of popular franchises one might not be into. They're literally just cashgrabs, but they're not completely soulless, as effort are put into them to make them unique and appealing. 

Edit:

Also forgot to add, I don't think they're bad for the franchise at all. It's pretty exciting to think that they might make some people interested in real tamagotchi devices. I definitely think these are going to stay for a long time, since they're selling well enough for Bandai to reach out to other franchises. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the licensed ones are kind of cool. I won’t get any unless they make one with a property I already like/am familiar with. I won’t be getting an original nano; however, I’ll have a hard time using it because of my lack of vision. I’d prefer to get a full sized P1/P2.

I love the nanos myself.  I have a special edition black one (Tama Depa) as my first one with original tama characters.  I have both Japanese and English Gudetamas (both solid yellow with the face), a red Hello Kitty one (got it at Walmart a couple of weeks ago), 2 black Pac-Man  nanos, and an aqua Demon Slayer one (the one with the checkerboard faceplate.  Have had it almost a week).  They're much better than the chibis/minis, and the Pac-Man and HK ones have 2 games.  I'm looking for the Jordy one which is supposed to be released soon. That one is supposedly packed with features, from what I read about it. 

I bought one of the 20th anniversary ones when they were released in Japan. Having had one of the minis, I was rather upset that I couldn't play a game with the anniversary nano like I could with the mini.

I bought the gudetama one and thought it was fun but passed it along to my cousin- they're obsessed with gudetama so I felt it was a better fit for them. I did like that the gudetama nano DOES have a game to play with it. That said, I've started vlogging my Tamagotchis, and as they're not ones that seem to have generation continuation, they might just be perfect to change it up and not feel bad about pulling the batteries on one, and they're way more affordable than the colors. 

As the others have said, it's totally a cash grab, but for me, it's around an hour of work pre-taxes to earn one versus a whole day's earnings. I think for the variety of content, they're a worthwhile purchase.

And like others have mentioned, it is definitely an interactive fashion accessory. But they're cute and with the exception of the anniversary one, they capture the essence of what made me fall in love with tamagotchi. Also, having small pockets means it's more realistic to carry around, although I'm suprised there's not more case versions. You basically have to buy a special edition to ensure you get a case to keep them protected. I might tat some lace ones, but it's too bad that there's not aftermarket nano cases.

I bought one of the 20th anniversary ones when they were released in Japan. Having had one of the minis, I was rather upset that I couldn't play a game with the anniversary nano like I could with the mini.
I'm not aware of any 20th Anniversary Nano - only the 20th Anniversary Mini/Chibi. Nanos have games and shells with a rounded back, Minis/Chibis don't have games and have shells with a flat back. :)

I might tat some lace ones, but it's too bad that there's not aftermarket nano cases.
If you do this, I'd love to see a post about it! I'm a big fan of seeing this sort of creativity in action. :D

Personally I think there are too many and it makes me not want to collect them. But at the same time I am a big fan of Pac-Man and want to have a Pac-Man one... and maybe a Hello Kitty one... maybe I will just stick to ones that are my favorites and not get the idea I have to collect them all. I like Evangelion but I don't think I want an Evangelion Tama XD They are strange looking.

I'm not aware of any 20th Anniversary Nano - only the 20th Anniversary Mini/Chibi. Nanos have games and shells with a rounded back, Minis/Chibis don't have games and have shells with a flat back. :)

If you do this, I'd love to see a post about it! I'm a big fan of seeing this sort of creativity in action. :D
Ohhh, yeah it's deffo a mini/chibi then 😅 looks like I need to brush up on my hiragana 😱

And I'll be sure to share when I do! I might actually make one for the mini/chibi because it is plain white with black buttons. Black lace could give it a spiderweb effect! 🤩

I actually love the crossover nanos. The attention to detail in the little scenes and also incorporating traditional tama games into trials and tribulations the show's chatacters had to experience. I actually watched demon slayer just as an excuse to try one out and then really fell in love with the show. So,  excellent marketing strategy on their part. I have the evatchi and the kimetsu. I really want one of the Twisted Wonderland and Pui Pui Carmol ones as well. I think you're about right with them being accessories. 

Latest posts

Back