Help identifying virus-themed 1990s linkable virtual pet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalphsin

Reaction score
Ok maybe someone here can help. My sister and I each had this off brand digital pet that dealt with viruses. There were different types of viruses and you could have them travel small levels and fight and explore to find items I think. It was from the 90s for sure, maybe 97 98 or 99. I'm certain I had a blue version and they were supposed to be able to link up somehow. I just can't find what it was anywhere!

Hi @Xalphsin! I've split this out into its own thread in the Virtual Pets - General, where it will hopefully catch someone's eye. :)

Do you remember any other details about these pets, by any chance? The more we know, the more likely it is that somebody might be able to identify them.

All that I can think of right now is the Digivice that was based on the Digimon television series, but that's an official Bandai product rather than an off-brand device.

Thank you for that, I wasn't sure where to post it! 

To be honest I'm having trouble remembering what the device looked like. It was off-brand for sure and it may have come from the store Big Lots. It may have been a little bigger than the standard pet devices, maybe in a different shape too. 

The game itself had three types of viruses and it was a rock paper scissors effect between the three, I think like Pokémon typing effectiveness. The levels were random that you could explore and you found a crystal for resources and a pc terminal maybe to leave? I remember fighting enemies somehow and it was fairly difficult due to no healing. There were at least 3 different devices since my sister and I each had a different one and I remember maybe a red one we didn't have. 

I'll see if my sister can remember more.

Ok, so she seems to think the pets were robots and you collected parts to upgrade or change them, They may have come from B&G discount

It may be that the attacks of the pets were rock paper scissors style attacks. The device itself may have been in a pill shape or kind of cylindrical. My dad suggested the name as cyber or VR pet but nothing on Google comes up that is close 

Last edited by a moderator:
was this the same vpet you could connect to a CD Rom game? Am I insane and creating something out of thin air? I remember a virus vpet that had a computer game component to it.

was this the same vpet you could connect to a CD Rom game? Am I insane and creating something out of thin air? I remember a virus vpet that had a computer game component to it.
I don't think so, I suppose there could have been one though. Would have been in the 90's and just around the time cd roms were getting popular. They could conn3ct with each other but I thought it was local. Man I try and remember it every so often and there's very little I can...

HOLY CRAP THANK YOU THIS IS THE PET!!

After years of searching Burnt_Marshmallow has helped me find it, thank you so much!

The closest thing I can think of is P-O-X by Hasbro. It's very similar to what you described and had 3 versions (red, green and blue), but it was released in 2001, so that might not be it.
Thank you so much for the help!

The closest thing I can think of is P-O-X by Hasbro. It's very similar to what you described and had 3 versions (red, green and blue), but it was released in 2001, so that might not be it.

Oh wow, this is fascinating, your comment led me on a bit of a Google hunt.

From the Wiki page:
The game focuses on creating and customizing creatures called "POX Infectors" and using them to battle against other POX Infectors. The game includes both single-player and multi-player modes[1] and a 30-foot (9 m) wireless connection range.[2]

P-O-X was introduced through a viral marketing scheme. Hasbro asked kids in Chicago schools, "playgrounds, skate parks and video arcades" who they thought the "coolest kid" was, until they found kids who felt they were "the coolest" themselves, and distributed free copies of the game to them.[3]
And then there's also this:
In a case of unfortunate timing, the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and subsequent 2001 anthrax attacks raised considerable doubts in the Toys R' Us executive team about the viability of launching a game that prominently featured Earth being attacked by malicious forces that took the form of bug-like viruses that 'infected' their targets. After some focus groups with parents indicated that they [the parents] were uncomfortable with their children playing a game that featured viruses and 'infection', the game was pulled from the market.
And photos!
Dy8a9VeVYAEMkEd.jpg

u2dkll7sd6m81.jpg

What a weird set of circumstances for this toy. Too bad it was canceled so early in its life.

Well, I have 2 on the way now so I'll be able to relive the nostalgia!

Latest posts

Back