Sign in to follow this  
Princess Lovelitchi

Spring rust?

Posted (edited)

Okay, so I have a color tama that had some battery corrosion in it. I got the corroded batteries out and cleaned the white corrosion, but one spring is rusted, and the other is a rusty greenish looking color. Is there any way to salvage this tama? Is there anywhere I could send it off to where someone could perhaps replace the springs for me and fix it up? Or should I just consider this tama a lost cause?

Edited by Princess Lovelitchi

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure that there's still something that you can try. If you have any white vinegar to hand, it may be worth trying to scrub up the springs using a cotton-bud (sold under the brand-name Q-Tips in some countries) soaked with the stuff.

There's a video here that shows what happens to some very rusty tools when soaked in white vinegar for 16 hours, but I would imagine that the sort of rust you're dealing with here wouldn't need such a lengthy treatment - you can probably just leave the springs in place and clean them up as described above, rather than taking the device apart and soaking them.

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 2