Tamatchi_

I need help with the yellowing of my purple Tamagotchi idL

Hi, i recently decided to re visit my old Tamagotchi ID L due to like an overload of stress (Its my first tama in my current collection of 3) and found it extremely yellowed?

I've tried the rubber/eraser method and baking soda scrub method but they havent worked at all (ignore the dent in my tama rip), im gonna buy creme developer soon enough but i still dont know what else to do?

ive briefly looked over methods that require u to soak plastic in different solvents and stuff but i dont know how to take apart my tama and really dont want to stuff it up completely?

i was just wondering what other methods i could try? my worry is that because its purple, if i try these methods it'll whiten my tamagotchi and get rid of the purple which is something i definitely dont want. 

Please help me :(

Posted (edited)

I could be looking at the pictures wrong, but this looks to me less like the traditional yellowing caused by flame-retardants rising to the surface of the plastic, and more like sun-fading, because it's very localised. Just to rule that out, has the device ever been kept in direct sunlight, or in a place where that specific part of it could have been exposed to the sun?

That aside, if it is the typical flame-retardant yellowing, all that I can recommend is finding a deconstruction guide for this model, and doing a lot of research on Retrobrite and how to apply it correctly, as well as how to properly seal it afterwards (this sort of yellowing will recur if a sealant isn't applied after a successful application of Retrobrite).

Edited by Penguin-keeper

It definitely isnt flame related, i feel like it is probably sun fading however, i dont remember keeping it in the sun? which is very interesting. This tama in particular has been in its box for i think 2 years now on my book shelf which is the furthest away from any window in my room, so it does not get sun light.

But i do feel like that is the closest possible answer to the yellowing of the tama.

Thank you so much by the way :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamatchi_ said:

It definitely isnt flame related,

Oh, haha, pardon me, I should have been clearer! :lol: The reason that I mentioned flame-retardants is because those rising to the surface of the plastic (usually all over, as you can see in the photograph on the Retrobrite Wikipedia page) is what causes older plastics to turn yellow. It doesn't mean that they've been exposed to any flames. :)

1 hour ago, Tamatchi_ said:

Thank you so much by the way :)

No problem! Again, though, I do think that it's worth getting a second opinion on whether this is a job for Retrobrite or not - I could still have interpreted the images incorrectly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Flora
      Hi! I bought a Tama V4.5 (white with flowers) online but unfortunately it is quite yellowed. Has someone ever tried to whiten that yellowed shell? I am quite sceptical with H2O2 because of the flowers on the front which would probably fade away, too.
      The last post to that topic is already 8 years old, maybe there is someone who has a new idea to „fix“ that problem
    • By missusmelty
      I’ll start off by saying, I LOVE cleaning tamagotchi’s. 🧽

I’ve bought a few where people have claimed the buttons don’t work, I’ll take a risk, and purchase them. Once receiving them, I delicately take them apart and see what could possibly be wrong. So far I’ve been lucky that all it is, is that they’ve been taken everywhere by their previous owners/owner, collecting dirt, hair, you name it, and with that collecting around/under the buttons is what makes them not work as well as they should. 

After giving them a “bath” and piecing them back together, they work good as new! ☺️ I know these photos aren’t the best in quality, but I had to resize them to be able to upload on here. These two are my most recent ones that I’ve worked on. I wonder who use to own these before they ran into the person I purchased them from?

With that all said, I’ve been on the hunt now for tamagotchi lots/sets that are “broken” and was hoping that people here might be able to point me in the right direction of sellers who do that. I know there were a few on eBay who did, but at the moment I can’t seem to find them selling any. 

• By Candythief
      Hello! 
      I bought an old tamagotchi angel, the package must have been stored at a sunny place, the shell has a little bit yellow discoloration from one side. Its minimal but I'd like it better without discoloration. (I know, i have ODC^^)
      Does anybody know how i could remove the sun discoloration?
      I currently try to cover the area with a hydrogen proxide 3% damp cloth.
      In reality it's worse like in the picture:

• By TAMAmaybeth
      So...I've had my tamagotchi Idl for years. It's in great condition cause I am very careful with it. (minimum to no scratches e.t.c)
      But I recently got a tamagotchi IDL 15th anniversary that although it's beat up on the outside is practically new and unused. Comparing  the two I couldn't help but notice when I am on a white menu screen my old IDL has warmer pixels...it's not as white and bright as the other one. Now...I have some experience in tamas and the brightness is the same for both. also there is no dirt on the screen. Is this okay? Is it normal? Has it happened to any of your color tamagotchis? 
    • By mokuchar
      Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a Japanese IDL & P's and a Sprint Palm Treo 650 to transfer the downloads. I'm having a lot of trouble sending the files from my laptop to my Palm Treo, I tried to use the bluetooth transfer from both a Win 10 PC and a Macbook (2014 release) with no success. They both detect my Palm Treo but I can't find neither of my laptops from my phone.

When attempting on my Macbook, I receive the message: "the device does not have the necessary services" and nothing happens on my phone

When attempting on my PC, a bar pops up for authentication (not sure if that's the exact word since my system is in a different language), and my phone will say "connecting" for about a minute and then it disappears and nothing happens.

Does anyone have any experience with the Palm Treo 650 or have a tutorial to how to transfer files to a Palm Treo 650? I'm really frustrated right now that I can't even transfer the downloadable content to my "transfer device". The Palm Treo was purchased on Ebay and it only came with a charger (no USB cable). I've also tried asking the Ebay seller and all they told me was "We receive these items in bulk and only have the information available from the manufacturer to provide to buyers in the listing" and it was not helpful at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!