Sign in to follow this  
Penguin-keeper

Snowman treat-jars

This is a bit of a spin-off from my sock-doll projects;

S2hjpeI.jpg

It's a Christmas treat-jar with a snowman head attached to the lid - and the snowman head is, of course, made using traditional sock-doll techniques. The jar is a 200ml craft jar, and the head was stuck to the lid using Gorilla Super Glue (which, as TamaTalk regulars who've read other crafting-related threads might know, is one of my favourite crafting aids :lol:).

I'm currently making up a batch of these to fill with candy and give as extra gifts to visiting relatives over the festive season. When finished, each one will have the recipient's initials stuck to the front of the jar using black self-adhesive craft-foam (which has a coal-like look), as well as a hand-written gift-tag.

This is the first one that I've finished, and I'm really pleased with it - I can't wait to see how they'll all look when they're filled with sweets! :D

Edited by Penguin-keeper
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness, what a soft, sweet face! The texture of the sock tape evokes the look of fluffy fresh-fallen snow. Can't wait to see what they look like filled!

Since you'll be making several it might be a good opportunity to brush up on your ribbon technique.

Hope the rest go smoothly for you!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OldSchoolVPQ said:

Oh my goodness, what a soft, sweet face!

Aww, thankyou! :D I love working on facial-features, so that part was a lot of fun.

21 minutes ago, OldSchoolVPQ said:

The texture of the sock tape evokes the look of fluffy fresh-fallen snow.

The socks that I'm using for these are really soft to the touch, too, so that analogy works really well. :)

21 minutes ago, OldSchoolVPQ said:

Can't wait to see what they look like filled!

Me either. :lol: I was originally going to use a selection of entirely white sweets, but I realised that they'll look a bit plain that way so I'll probably add a dash of festive colour to them, most likely with some blue or red candies - but definitely not yellow ones. :P

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolVPQ said:

Since you'll be making several it might be a good opportunity to brush up on your ribbon technique.

Hahah, yes! I actually redid the ribbon after I took the photograph so it looks a lot better now - I was tying it up in a big hurry because Gorilla Super Glue smells pretty awful and it hadn't fully dried yet, but I wanted to get a picture while I still had everything to hand.

That video is really helpful too - many thanks for that, I'll certainly be making use of it going forward. :D

25 minutes ago, OldSchoolVPQ said:

Hope the rest go smoothly for you!! 

Thanks very much! :tarakotchi: They're a fun and very quick make, so I could easily see myself revisiting this idea for other purposes in the future.

Sign in to follow this