Sign in to follow this  
Timogotchi19

RIP Brian Goldner (1963-2021)

I've got some rather unfortunate news. Hasbro's chairman and CEO, Brian D. Goldner, has died from cancer after taking a medical leave of absence two days prior.

Prior to joining Hasbro in 2000, Goldner was executive vice president and COO of Bandai America, and during his time there, he oversaw the US distribution of Tamagotchi and ensured its success today. As a Tamagotchi fan, Goldner's passing affects me as much as it does to every fan of Hasbro's entire brand blueprint.

Whether you're a Tamagotchi vintage era loyalist, a Hasbro enthusiast, or are quite fond of collectables for Marvel, Star Wars, or other world-renowned brands, Goldner impacted our lives one way or another. He made the world smile through action satisfaction, and he will be deeply missed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Ah, this is sad news. :( The handling of the original Tamagotchi launch, introducing a brand-new toy-category as it was, was vital to the brand making an impact during an era when so many quirky things of that nature were typically written off as "only being big in Japan" - it took a lot of work to pull it off and make it the multi-generational global success that it is today.

Thanks for the smiles Brian - it's most likely that nobody on this site would be here today without you.

• Sad 2

Sometimes I forget just how close-knit the toy industry is.

It's worth noting that the difference in scale between Bandai America and Hasbro is extremely significant. Bandai America has always been small, so it makes sense that he would have taken a more direct approach to marketing despite being in such a high-ranking position. 

I knew his long friendship with Haim Saban played a large role in Hasbro acquiring the Power Rangers master toy license, but I suppose I hadn't given much thought to what else he had done at Bandai America. Studying brand management under Saban with Power Rangers, engineering Tamagotchi marketing, then moving on to Hasbro right when it was in the first Pokémon boom, and going on to build the media empire that spawned My Little Pony: FIM...it's very humbling to be able to learn the name of someone who had a very real and direct impact on my life's path. 

What else is there to say but thank you? And rest well knowing you helped bring so much joy to the world.

Edited by OldSchoolVPQ
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a tribute video that Hasbro posted on their YouTube channel earlier today. It features Alan Hassenfeld (Chairman Emeritus of the Hasbro Board), Haim Saban (Saban Captial Group), Howard Roffman (Lucasfilm), Tim Kilpin (PlayMonster), Jim Gianopulos (Paramount), Bob Chapek (The Walt Disney Company), and Pam Kaufman (ViacomCBS) commending Mr. Goldner. In a nutshell, it summarizes just how much Mr. Goldner contributed to both the merchandising and entertainment industries.

On a side note, I find it odd and a little disrespectful that Bandai America has yet to display condolences regarding Mr. Goldner considering his past employment with them and the fact that they were stop #1 to what he would become at Hasbro. Even Mattel displayed condolences:

• Like 1