Conducting a little research on newbies...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrefox

Reaction score
1. I've noticed newbies around the site often add lots of smilies after they post

2. Often an eager newbie will jump into a conversation asking about something or wanting to be known

Not to say these are really bad things, just thought it was interesting. And I'm not saying everyone does it :p .

-Yes, I joined in September, but I don't feel new

Fyrefox

1. I've noticed newbies around the site often add lots of smilies after they post2. Often an eager newbie will jump into a conversation asking about something or wanting to be known

Not to say these are really bad things, just thought it was interesting. And I'm not saying everyone does it :p .

-Yes, I joined in September, but I don't feel new

Fyrefox
They are annoying. Since I post so much everyone PM's me saying Hi as their PM title then 20 smileys following it. It is very annoying.

They are annoying. Since I post so much everyone PM's me saying Hi as their PM title then 20 smileys following it. It is very annoying.
Oh really? No one's ever done that to me. Poor Admin, I bet he (she?) gets tons of that every day :p .

Ahh, I'm not alone... The worst thing is when NON-newbies do that.

Anyways, give the newbies some time and they'll grow to understand a bit more about netiquette. Some of them come from Nick.com, where people post one-word replies and no-one says anything about it, not even the moderators.

I've had a habit of putting 8 smilies at the end of my posts. If that is annoying people, let me know and I'll stop doing that. Sorry if I've irritated people by doing it.

:p :unsure: :eek:

I've had a habit of putting 8 smilies at the end of my posts. If that is annoying people, let me know and I'll stop doing that. Sorry if I've irritated people by doing it.
:p :unsure: :eek:
I personally don't find it annoying as they don't move and are seperated from your post and all, but maybe other members do. I dunno...

-Ack, stupid optical mouse isn't working properly!

Fyrefox

Why do you guys refer to them as "newbies"? I don't think it's very fair to them, and it sounds like there being teased. When I was new, I saw this post where someone said that they hated "newbies", and that "newbies" were stupid cause they didn't know what they were doing. That really hurt my feelings. So now I consider everyone a part of tamatalk wether the're new or not. :furawatchi: :p :D ;)

tamagirl1092, the term "newbie" isn't meant to offend anyone. It's not a bad thing to be new, everyone is at some point. And we're not trying to put newbies down here, just state the things that bug us the most so maybe other newbies won't do that!

:furawatchi: Remember, we don't mean to hurt anyone.

Oh i know that. I was trying to say that people are turning "newbie" into a bad thing.

Oh i know that. I was trying to say that people are turning "newbie" into a bad thing.
I've always just accepted it as meaning a person new to a site... everyone's a newbie at some time or another. It's not like it's a bad thing.

-Now, no0b, that's a bad thing.

Fyrefox

No! I not saying that "newbie" is a bad thing, I'm saying that just because people are new, a lot of people are saying stuff like "I hate newbies." or "newbies are stupid!" and stuff like that. That's what I don't like. ;)

well i tink they doit cause they find umm.... ;) our smilies are interesting. well i did when i found out.(though i dont put much) :angry: the reason they put alot of smilies around where this last is....................( :angry: )

This is an actual PM....

Pm Title: Hiya!

Message: :angry: :D :eek: :D :ph34r: :ph34r: :unsure: :) B) :p ;) <_< :unsure:

[SIZE=8pt] HI! [/SIZE]

And they leave unclosed tags. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you guys refer to them as "newbies"? I don't think it's very fair to them, and it sounds like there being teased. When I was new, I saw this post where someone said that they hated "newbies", and that "newbies" were stupid cause they didn't know what they were doing. That really hurt my feelings. So now I consider everyone a part of tamatalk wether the're new or not. :ph34r: :( :( :lol:
Exactly!! I totally agree with you!

And Darkcore it is because they don't know how to close the tags when I started I didn't even know how to read the PM's.

And I like the smilies there isn't a rule aginist useing them like this.

B) B) B) :( :huh:

No, newbie is not turning into a bad thing.

If we did not have newer people on here, tamatalk would'nt be here!

I think that people should not say mean things about newbies. They were a newbie once. B)

Exacaly!!!

And now no one can tease them cause there is no rank now! YAY!!!

This is an actual PM.... 

Pm Title: Hiya!

Message: :angry: :D :eek: :wacko: :ph34r: :ph34r: :unsure: :) B) :p ;) :lol: :unsure:

[SIZE=8pt] HI! [/SIZE]

And they leave unclosed tags. :angry:
You shouldn't hate people for leaving tags unclosed. It's called "rushing to conclusions". And besides, they're new, so they probably don't know how annoying it is to send people that kind of message. I mean, seriously, would you like it if you sent someone something with unclosed tags and they hated you for it?

well, newbies won't be newbies for long! :wacko: . they just seem to like the smilies. they don't really know, you know?

DOn't forget you used to be a newbie!

But sometimes it gets too carried away...and annoying!

Somebody put

"No, newbie is not turning into a bad thing.

I think that people should not say mean things about newbies. They were a newbie once. ;) "

Well did you read my second post?

"No! I not saying that "newbie" is a bad thing, I'm saying that just because people are new, a lot of people are saying stuff like "I hate newbies." or "newbies are stupid!" and stuff like that. That's what I don't like. <_< "

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody put
"No, newbie is not turning into a bad thing.

I think that people should not say mean things about newbies. They were a newbie once. ;) "

Well did you read my second post?

"No! I not saying that "newbie" is a bad thing, I'm saying that just because people are new, a lot of people are saying stuff like "I hate newbies." or "newbies are stupid!" and stuff like that. That's what I don't like. <_< "
What do you mean I am confused??!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back