2017 Tamagotchi P1 & P2 Appear in GameStop Inventory System

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the same thing I was thinking, but it was near all the back to school stuff, so it kinda makes sense I guess. I'm just happy that more stores are carrying them this time around.

To anyone living in Canada, Mastermind Toys sells the P1 and P2 rereleases! I was tipped off of this by the lovely Rjalda100 ^_^ and went there today. Here are the shells I got:

VAaXXZq.jpg
wDLokjo.jpg

Chatting to the cashier - who also asked me how many tamagotchis I had, whereupon I surprised with her "18" - I learned the store had gotten them a month ago. That likely means most Mastermind Toys in Canada probably have them, or definitely any in Toronto. I'm assuming she meant the rereleased P1/P2 because she distinguished between these ones and the mini, however; it was a casual conversation so I maybe got the wrong implications.

Rjalda mentioned that her local Mastermind Toys had a decent selection and that was the case for the store I went to, too. I found them tucked away next to a hanging pole of minis (eventually, I was getting a little agitated not seeing them in the first few sweeps of the store) and I'd reckon there was at least 8-10 in total. There were only 2 P2s on the entire pole and I think both of them were the white with pink characters shell (which is why I got that one, and I am thankful it was at least a patterned shell). The rest were P1s and beside the Rainbow shell I got, the only other patterned shell was a Striped Tiger P1. I saw a few Purple with Pinks, one Translucent Blue, and maybe two or so Pink with Yellows. I even asked if there were more designs but there weren't. I'm not that much of a fan of plain shells, but I think they would grow on me considering I love my original orange with green writing P2. So I was mixed on the variety but thankful I did get what I got and it's great to have Tamagotchi boxes (see what the second-hand market has done to me? It's make me think packaging is a special feature).

Price-wise, I imagine they were really trying had to make this $10 more than the mini since the price for both of my originals was $26.99, which is really $27. The back of the package indicates the replicas were made in China but distributed by Bandai America. I suppose judging by the addition of Spanish and German, those countries will see a release of the replicas soon. Comparing the Canadian packaging to the American packaging on Bandai's website, they axed the extra dialogue in favor of bilingual translation. Also, the characters and version labels have been rearranged to be more appealing for these additions, as the American packaging lacks both Takotchi (Gen2) and Tamatchi (Gen1) as well as replacing the caption "the original virtual reality pet" with the version label. No doubt Bandai America made an American version of the packaging and then an international version, which appeared to be the case for the packaging of my Dream Town. I suppose one could argue the international version is the Canadian version as by law packaging in Canada must include both English and French - the latter to maintain ties with Québec - and thus it is just easier slapping other languages onto it.. The back of the packaging also includes bilingual labels for how to take care of your tama, and I'll update my post later with pics of that, seeing how Bandai's website doesn't have them.

At the moment, I am running too many tamas to start up either of them so likely once I finish the Back to School Hatching and deactivate a few, I'll start one of 'em up.

To anyone living in Canada, Mastermind Toys sells the P1 and P2 rereleases! I was tipped off of this by the lovely Rjalda100 ^_^ and went there today. Here are the shells I got:

VAaXXZq.jpg
wDLokjo.jpg
Congratulations on the haul! :D And those are awesome shell-choices - they look fantastic!

The back of the package indicates the replicas were made in China but distributed by Bandai America. I suppose judging by the addition of Spanish and German, those countries will see a release of the replicas soon. Comparing the Canadian packaging to the American packaging on Bandai's website, they axed the extra dialogue in favor of bilingual translation. Also, the characters and version labels have been rearranged to be more appealing for these additions, as the American packaging lacks both Takotchi (Gen2) and Tamatchi (Gen1) as well as replacing the caption "the original virtual reality pet" with the version label. No doubt Bandai America made an American version of the packaging and then an international version, which appeared to be the case for the packaging of my Dream Town. I suppose one could argue the international version is the Canadian version as by law packaging in Canada must include both English and French - the latter to maintain ties with Québec - and thus it is just easier slapping other languages onto it.. The back of the packaging also includes bilingual labels for how to take care of your tama, and I'll update my post later with pics of that, seeing how Bandai's website doesn't have them.
It looks and sounds like you guys got the same packaging that we got in the UK! I posted these pictures here, in the "what have you got in the mail today *continued*" thread, when I got mine the other day;

ERyD1Up.jpg

WwPhXXt.jpg

idbhm0Q.jpg

Thank you :^) And you're right, we Canadians did get the same packaging you guys in the UK got. Also you saved me from having to take any more pictures XD I also just realized that the exact shells I got today are the exact shells featured at the top of the Tamagotchi page on Bandai's website. What a coincidence :lol:

For any Australians out there, Target has these on their shelves now! I got the yellow p2 but it was hard to resist picking up a galaxy coloured one. They look really nice.

Edit: After taking a look at mine I noticed the screen is all scratched and it has paint scuffs on the back :(

Has anyone else had this issue or did I just get unlucky?

Not a big deal really, I only noticed because I have a Mothra tama that was in way better condition despite being from 1997!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow Australian here, Target and Cotton On is also selling them onlne if you're struggling to find them in store, or just don't do leaving the house. Target is cheaper but you cannot choose which colours or version you want.

The quality isn't 100%, whilst I didn't notice any scratches on mine, the white P2's buttons are kinda too pushed in? They really don't feel right.

https://imgur.com/a/qhrp82F P1, P2 and one of last year's minis for comparison/to look pretty.

[...] the white P2's buttons are kinda too pushed in? They really don't feel right.
The originals in general have further inset buttons than other tamas, which can be a major pain if one of the buttons gets nicked (the case for the A button on one of my vintage P2s). However, I thought the buttons on the re-releases I bought were less inset and judging by how you have an original, I wonder if you may have re-release with defective buttons. But if the buttons respond properly it may just be they were cut shorter, thus only being a general annoyance.

Edit: After taking a look at mine I noticed the screen is all scratched and it has paint scuffs on the back :(
Has anyone else had this issue or did I just get unlucky?

Not a big deal really, I only noticed because I have a Mothra tama that was in way better condition despite being from 1997!
I've heard of another member having a minor scratch on hers but my Rainbow P1 - which has a similar style of paint only on the front but none on the back - is perfect. I guess you just got unlucky but since the screen is also scratched along with the paint, I wonder if you either got one that was cosmetically messed up by the machine or if someone tampered with the package. If the scratches are not very noticeable, it is probably the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back