A couple new forum ideas possibly?

Help Support TamaTalk:

Eozeda

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been asked before so I apologize if I missed the answer, but I'd love to see a Digimon dedicated subforum, seeing that many Tama collectors also collect a few of these. I understand there are Digimon sites elsewhere, but fans are happy to talk about their love anywhere that it's welcome. It would be exciting to bring together another massive vpet fandom here to Tamatalk for discussing common interests.

As another suggestion, I'm personally getting inspired by Tama crafts such as crochet, perler beads, and the like. A forum dedicated to inspiring creative expression in the form of Tama crafts would be fun. We can share patterns, tips, and enthusiasm for crafts with each other here. I really enjoy Tamatalk and know this would be an exciting favor for some of us.  :)  I mean these as humble suggestions of course and appreciate any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
As another suggestion, I'm personally getting inspired by Tama crafts such as crochet, perler beads, and the like. A forum dedicated to inspiring creative expression in the form of Tama crafts would be fun. We can share patterns, tips, and enthusiasm for crafts with each other here.
Though I don't have any power to implement suggestions, I just wanted to say that I personally really like this one, especially in the broader sense of also covering non-Tamagotchi crafts, since we already have the "Stuff We Write"/"Stuff We Read"/etc. sections. After all, we already know that there are plenty of creative people here! :D

Myself, I occasionally sew or crochet things, but they're usually not Tamagotchi-related. :p I would certainly welcome a "Stuff We Make" area!

purple pyonkotchi

Reaction score
Though I don't have any power to implement suggestions, I just wanted to say that I personally really like this one, especially in the broader sense of also covering non-Tamagotchi crafts, since we already have the "Stuff We Write"/"Stuff We Read"/etc. sections. After all, we already know that there are plenty of creative people here! :D

Myself, I occasionally sew or crochet things, but they're usually not Tamagotchi-related. :p I would certainly welcome a "Stuff We Make" area!
I'm all in favor of this! Do you think "stuff we make" could include other art/projects/etc that we're doing as well? I think this site has a gallery feature but I never learned how it works, a forum would be easier to share and discuss art stuff since we could make threads about it. Both tamagotchi and non-tamagotchi related!

Eozeda

Reaction score

I would love a Stuff We Make! I agree that it doesn't have to be Tama related, unless there is room for a subforum dedicated to Tama Crafts like developing patterns for crochet cases and such. I think a healthy rule to enforce for this creative area is that the patterns, instructions, and art are either from a open free source or personally made, and willingly distributed for others inspiration. Credit is always due regardless.  :wacko:

It would break the rule if someone was reported for distributing a pattern bought on Etsy for example! Of course some basic common knowledge is usually the start before making things our "own" but the important part is that it isn't stealing/copying directly from a paid source. Also, we should keep it a supportive climate, non-critical of others, and avoid negative comparison of different creator's work.

Crafts and art are personal preferences, and means of income as well as happiness for many, which is the basis of my concerns. Otherwise, it would be very exciting to see what amazing ideas some of our Tamatalk peeps can come up with here!  :D

*The concerns I have for a Digimon forum mostly center on once again, excessive competitive behavior, and comparitive criticism of other vpets. No "x" are better than "y" flame wars – that is not very appropriate forum behavior. We can have preferences, but should respect those of others!

It's a big fandom with many devices, theories, and a long anime, so I hope the topic isn't too broad for being under vpets general? Maybe device discussion and news is the main focus. I could personally use a bit of community, help and tips for some of my devices, since Digimon evolution lines and care is a bit complex.  :huh:  Hopefully these are good ground rules and ideas, if the forums were to be expanded?

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a healthy rule to enforce for this creative area is that the patterns, instructions, and art are either from a open free source or personally made, and willingly distributed for others inspiration. Credit is always due regardless.  :wacko:
Hehe, but what about those of us who don't use patterns? :D My own personal methods basically involve shaping fabrics and yarn into what I want as I go along! (Of course, I'd be happy to share techniques, should anyone want to ask. :) )

I like the idea (I'm a Linux user, so I know very well how this approach can help communities in all sorts of ways), but I'm not sure that we'd be able to enforce such a thing if a Stuff We Make section became a reality. It's certainly good form to share and help as much as we can, though, as it would create a useful resource.

No "x" are better than "y" flame wars – that is not very appropriate forum behavior. We can have preferences, but should respect those of others!
Thankfully, it looks like that sort of hilarious frothing-at-the-mouth fanboyism is a distant memory for TamaTalk, due to how the community has aged and developed over time, and due to how a much larger proportion of the current fanbase are adults (which, itself, I think may also have something to do with the ebb and flow of the virtual pets toy category, and its perceived hiatuses in the public eye). Of course, that also helps us to set a good example for incoming newer fans, too. 👍

It's a big fandom with many devices, theories, and a long anime, so I hope the topic isn't too broad for being under vpets general? Maybe device discussion and news is the main focus. I could personally use a bit of community, help and tips for some of my devices, since Digimon evolution lines and care is a bit complex.  :huh:  Hopefully these are good ground rules and ideas, if the forums were to be expanded?
Unfortunately, my only real experience is with the early vintage Digimon pets (I love them for their similarity to their Tamagotchi peers from the same era, and I feel that the 25th Anniversary Digimon provides a great template for what I would like a hypothetical "Gen 3"/"P3" Tamagotchi to be like), and though I'm aware of the very complex lineage of Digimon virtual pets and Digivices, I don't know anywhere near enough to comment here.

Eozeda

Reaction score
Hehe, but what about those of us who don't use patterns? :D My own personal methods basically involve shaping fabrics and yarn into what I want as I go along! (Of course, I'd be happy to share techniques, should anyone want to ask. :) )
Freestyle is an excellent example of what we can support! I love the idea of experimenting with shapes as one goes along, but for those starting out, a pattern in any craft is helpful if someone wishes to share. I think we could see folks working with resin or other materials that don't necessarily need patterns that I'm aware of, but tips are always welcome. Sometimes like-minded things develop as well, understandably.

Tankfully, it looks like that sort of hilarious frothing-at-the-mouth fanboyism is a distant memory for TamaTalk, due to how the community has aged and developed over time, and due to how a much larger proportion of the current fanbase are adults (which, itself, I think may also have something to do with the ebb and flow of the virtual pets toy category, and its perceived hiatuses in the public eye). Of course, that also helps us to set a good example for incoming newer fans, too. 

👍
Thank goodness for that!! I've seen some negative behavior at other sites dedicated to Digimon, and with the newer vpet devices and remakes becoming popular again, we might see some of that negative flow here which is my fear. Even if it seems like a rule we should all know by now, there's always individuals still learning good forum behavior.  :hitodetchi: Anyhow I certainly agree, a good example is best to set for incoming newer fans. 

TamaMum

Senior TamaTalk Guides
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been asked before so I apologize if I missed the answer, but I'd love to see a Digimon dedicated subforum, seeing that many Tama collectors also collect a few of these. I understand there are Digimon sites elsewhere, but fans are happy to talk about their love anywhere that it's welcome. It would be exciting to bring together another massive vpet fandom here to Tamatalk for discussing common interests.

As another suggestion, I'm personally getting inspired by Tama crafts such as crochet, perler beads, and the like. A forum dedicated to inspiring creative expression in the form of Tama crafts would be fun. We can share patterns, tips, and enthusiasm for crafts with each other here. I really enjoy Tamatalk and know this would be an exciting favor for some of us.  :)  I mean these as humble suggestions of course and appreciate any input.
Sorry I'm a bit late to reply (lots of IRL stuff ...  )

In the past, we usually created subforums when we noticed a sufficiently high number of new topics about the same subject.  If there are enough TamaTalkers who'd initiate and contribute to Digimon topics it's something we could look at creating.

Initially at least I'd suggest you use the VPets forum and prefix any new topic with "Digimon" so other users can quickly spot it and post replies. (Scroll down past the pet specific subforums to the general VPet discussion area: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/forum/32-virtual-pets-general/)

Likewise, a Tama crafts would be considered on the same basis.  In the past we've have a few popular crafting topics where members have showcased pouches / cases, Tama shell decos & mods, etc. but there was never enough volume to create a whole subforum dedicated to Tama crafting.  I'm going to suggest that it might be worth heading over to the Clubs section and starting up a TamaCrafts club to see how much interest there is? I'd be interested in this. (Like P-k I also craft - crochet and a bit of knitting but not Tama related).

https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/clubs/

By way of background we merged and cleared a lot of subforums a few years ago to make the main home page more accessible (we basically had a ton of subforums that got used for about 3 months then abandoned).  I think it'd be good to measure the level of interest and commitment to a new subforum first.  Hope that explanation seems reasonable - I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression I'm being negative about some good suggestions :)

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest that it might be worth heading over to the Clubs section and starting up a TamaCrafts club to see how much interest there is? I'd be interested in this. (Like P-k I also craft - crochet and a bit of knitting but not Tama related).
Oh man, how did I forget about the Clubs?! :eek: Good one! 👍

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I've got a Tamagotchi-related project to show, I went ahead and created a club: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/clubs/35-tamacrafts-club/

However, I appear to have done a stupid: I accidentally set it up to require invites, and now I can't find any way to change that! :eek: @TamaMum, if you have the ability to edit more of the club settings than I'm permitted to, could you change that, please? :)

EDIT: Oops, never mind! It is working as intended. I just haven't used the clubs feature enough to know how it's supposed to work! :lol: