BEST Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MintJulep

Reaction score
Hi guys!

For some weird reason, I've been thinking about my childhood tamagotchi and how much fun I had with it as a kid.

I believe I had this tamagotchi going from the picture on the right, which is the exact one I had!

I thought I could just hop back onto amazon and purchase a tamagotchi, but A LOT HAS CHANGED!

I first looked into getting a 4U, but then realized that it's full "fun factor" can't be unlocked without a corresponding phone and app.

Looking elsewhere, I stumbled upon a tamagotchi P and friends, but then read that the P isn't as fun and you need multiple tamagotchis for the friend's version.

I know that Bandai released a tamagotchi mini which can be found in the US but it looks not as impressive to me.

Right now, I'm looking at the tamagotchi mix version, but I don't even know what I want anymore.

I know that what's the "best" tamagotchi is subjective, but could someone give me insight into the tamagotchis with color?

I just want to know what people have been enjoying, and why so that it'll help me make a decision.

If the text on the tamagotchi isn't english, that's fine: I can read Japanese moderately well!

Things I'm looking for in a tamagotchi are

- interesting mini games

- a level of "depth" to them: I vaguely remember that my tamagotchi could go to school and get different careers and could get married/matchmaked (or something similar)

- has COLOR

- not super tiny like this

- Relatively expansive characters to unlock

- "World" to explore, I think my old tamagotchi got to go to town or something of the like

Thank you!!!
imageproxy.php

Are you from Japan? Because the tamagotchi you link to on the beginning of your post is an Entama, which is a Japanese version. It's not the same as an English v4 (though similar).

While what you're saying about 4U is true, P's (it's not called a P, P's is a full name) is not 100% true. P's is loads better than 4U, it's considered the best color version, and while it's true that without at least two of them you won't be able to raise two or three characters, it's not really important as you can download an uncountable amount of content into it. Additional games, characters, wallpapers, items- plus there's unlockable stuff in-device too. It does need an IRDA compatible phone you can load images onto for that, but you can get one for cheap or even free somewhere, it's definitely not much of a hassle compared to 4U that needs a way more expensive device.

So from your list, I think P's would be best for you. Customizable characters and games, and there is also kind of a school and job factor in there as well. However there doesn't exist any sort of tamatown anymore, if that's what you mean by a town.

Most people would reccomend a P's to you, it's probably the most sought after color version, and it can be patched into English if that's your thing (it's not necessary though). It can be a bit pricy though, but I think the price is worth it for the amount of customization you get.

Otherwise iD L is cheaper and also not a bad version IMO, but way less customizable (you can download stuff onto it, there's just no patches and downloadable characters). M!X isn't... bad, but it's honestly quite basic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you from Japan? Because the tamagotchi you link to on the beginning of your post is an Entama, which is a Japanese version. It's not the same as an English v4 (though similar).

While what you're saying about 4U is true, P's (it's not called a P, P's is a full name) is not 100% true. P's is loads better than 4U, it's considered the best color version, and while it's true that without at least two of them you won't be able to raise two or three characters, it's not really important as you can download an uncountable amount of content into it. Additional games, characters, wallpapers, items- plus there's unlockable stuff in-device too. It does need an IRDA compatible phone you can load images onto for that, but you can get one for cheap or even free somewhere, it's definitely not much of a hassle compared to 4U that needs a way more expensive device.

So from your list, I think P's would be best for you. Customizable characters and games, and there is also kind of a school and job factor in there as well. However there doesn't exist any sort of tamatown anymore, if that's what you mean by a town.

Most people would reccomend a P's to you, it's probably the most sought after color version, and it can be patched into English if that's your thing (it's not necessary though). It can be a bit pricy though, but I think the price is worth it for the amount of customization you get.

Otherwise iD L is cheaper and also not a bad version IMO, but way less customizable (you can download stuff onto it, there's just no patches and downloadable characters). M!X isn't... bad, but it's honestly quite basic.
I'm not from Japan! But when I bought it (this was when I was a child so I don't recall much!) it was from a Hong Kong airport.

yes! I believe tamatown was what I was thinking about, it's been more than 10 years so excuse my memory xD

What is the difference between P's, m!x and 4U?

I know you have deco pieces for the P's, but is it really necessary for "fun"?

I'd like to be able to continuously play with my tamagotchi, and not have to pay for expansions in order to enjoy myself.

That being said, would an investment in 4U be better? I'm not too sure what the m!x does either...

Also, when you mean patches and downloadable characters, is that something that's made by the company or by the community?

What is the difference between P's, m!x and 4U?
The P's, M!x, and 4U all have different characters, mini-games, locations, and (in the case of the m!x) gimmicks. On the m!x, each generation is a mix of the previous generation (hence the name).

I know you have deco pieces for the P's, but is it really necessary for "fun"?
Nope! The P's is plenty fun without any downloads or deco pierces, imo. I highly recommend this version and I'd go so far as to say that it's my favorite color version.
imageproxy.php

That being said, would an investment in 4U be better? I'm not too sure what the m!x does either...
I've never had a 4U, but I haven't heard the best things about it. I've heard the 4U+ is a little better, but I'm not sure about it's long-term entertainment value... I do, however, own a m!x and I can say that it's definitely worth it. Like I mentioned earlier, the mixing is the main gimmick on the m!x and it's pretty fun to see genetics being passed down to each new generation. The games and locations are also fun/interesting. However, it does sort of suffer from needing outside help to unlock everything... Regular m!x versions (melody and spacey) need to connect with another m!x in order to unlock all of their locations and characters. I believe the only m!x version that doesn't need any outside help is the 20th anniversary version (and maybe the Sanrio one too, but I can't quite remember
imageproxy.php
).

Also, when you mean patches and downloadable characters, is that something that's made by the company or by the community?
Both! Bandai has made official DLC in the form of the deco pierces for the P's, but the community has gotten in on this as well. One of the most notable contributions from the community has come from Mr. Blinky and his English patch, VDP, and VDP+ (all for the P's). Here's his website if you want to see everything he's made
imageproxy.php
: https://mrblinky.net/tama/vdp/ There's also downloads for the various different color versions (besides the m!x because it doesn't use infrared).

If it was from Hong Kong it's possible that it was an Asia/Oceania v4, if you remember it being in english. They have entama-like shells.

Deco pierces aren't necessary for it to be fun, it's just an expansion. It adds extra characters, games, stuff like that (or makes your characters change into another cosmetic form if you're bored of their current look), they're pretty expensive though if you want a physical one, but Mr. Blinky has made a few of them downloadable for free as well as helped created tons more of his own.

4U has its charms, but it really isn't great. While P's is perfectly playable without any downloads, 4U has almost nothing to offer in comparison. Without a compatible device, if you really want a good selection of characters... well, you won't get that. There's no teen stage and there's only a few adult characters built in, you can see them here (and two of them are available only on the 4U+ version): https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/192491-tamagotchi-4u-4u-post-adultpersonality-stage-chart/

Keep in mind that these personality stages don't count as a separate adult, they can revert back to their base form.

Honestly, my best advice is for you to google "[tamagotchi name] growth/character chart" and see which caracters you'd prefer (plus in 4U's and P's case, look at characters available for you to download as well)

I can't speak w/much authority since I'm in the same boat you are, MintJulip,(except I'm coming back after not playing with any tamas since P2's o_O) but I do have some things to add!

Honestly, my best advice is for you to google "[tamagotchi name] growth/character chart" and see which caracters you'd prefer (plus in 4U's and P's case, look at characters available for you to download as well)
This. All of this. A tama's not going to be fun if you don't like the characters, so it's good to check out the growth chart first and then work from there. For me, shell design is also important, but not a deal breaker. Still worth considering. There's also cost. Just doing a quick scan of Ebay and JYW, it seems like the cheapest I can find a P's is $100, where M!xes will run you a bit less. (Anywhere from mid-40's up, depending on the version and if new/used). I think the P's have a reputation for being the best, and so they definitely get the 'in demand' pricing since it's mostly 2nd-hand market now.

I do, however, own a m!x and I can say that it's definitely worth it. Like I mentioned earlier, the mixing is the main gimmick on the m!x and it's pretty fun to see genetics being passed down to each new generation. The games and locations are also fun/interesting. However, it does sort of suffer from needing outside help to unlock everything... Regular m!x versions (melody and spacey) need to connect with another m!x in order to unlock all of their locations and characters. I believe the only m!x version that doesn't need any outside help is the 20th anniversary version (and maybe the Sanrio one too, but I can't quite remember :p ).
I can say that I like the M!x as well. I have the Spacy and the Anniversary (not the Anniversary Gift, which is a different thing). If you don't want multiple ones, go with the Anniversary version, as it's the only one you can unlock everything w/out another M!x (I checked, Sanrio does need a 2nd tama to unlock Mermaid Palace and Gozaru Town like in other versions). I like the Anniversary the most as well because of the character options, since there's a lot more 'old school' characters, and the more humanoid tamas aren't really my thing.

M!xes have a decent amount of depth, but I feel like a lot of that gets lost if you don't speak Japanese, as there is a lot of dialog. None of it's necessary as there are great guides everywhere, but it'd be cool to know what's going on when you visit other characters in other towns. Still, there are so many good guides out there that you don't need to know ANY japanese to be able to have fun with a M!x.There are no careers, but there are a lot of items, and the animations for the items can change depending on what other characters you bring them too.

The 'mixing' factor is also very cool, but can be a little frustrating if you're trying to breed in/out certain traits. Even then, it's not bad and generations go fairly quickly (if you want) so you can experiment quite a bit. It's a lot of fun to be able to make your own unique tamas this way, but for me a slight downside is that care doesn't factor into the adult form (though it does affect child and teen, which creates some interesting diversity). You can also marry between M!xes, which I have to experiment with yet... I wonder if it lets you bring in outside traits? That'd be cool...

...for me a slight downside is that care doesn't factor into the adult form (though it does affect child and teen, which creates some interesting diversity). You can also marry between M!xes, which I have to experiment with yet... I wonder if it lets you bring in outside traits? That'd be cool...
How does care effect child and teen stages on the mix? Do those carry on to change the adult form you get slightly? I'm looking at getting a m!x but a bit disappointed if your care is inconsequential in them for all the stages.

Care doesn't matter at all because the only factor of what adult you get is up to genetics.

How does care effect child and teen stages on the mix? Do those carry on to change the adult form you get slightly? I'm looking at getting a m!x but a bit disappointed if your care is inconsequential in them for all the stages.

Care doesn't matter at all because the only factor of what adult you get is up to genetics.
Like Jhud said, care doesn't matter after the first generation. In the first gen, care determines what adult you get (so does wallpaper and items used, but that's not super important). In all reality, you want to take HORRIBLE care of your first generation on a M!x because all of them have exclusive characters that can only been achieved via terrible care on the first generation, and then never after that.

After running the Spacey and the 20th Anniversary M!x, I can say it is a bummer that care doesn't factor in a ton, but there are upsides, too. If you're super busy w/work and stuff it's easier to still get what you're hoping for and since the M!x is all about going after certain traits the irrelevant care format works a lot better. That said, I think they could have done BOTH. It'd be cool if care determined what trait you would get so you had a little more control over it but didn't HAVE to be on top it all the time (especially since you can only pause them up until about 5pm).

I have a P's and love it! I recently got a IRdA phone to patch mine, and it's super fun! (I don't read or speak any Japanese orz) Being able to read it makes it way more fun for me, personally, and the downloads are so cool. I currently have Mimitchi, and I made her room look like an old school Tama screen. :3

You can send them to school and work, and they can go on date and get married, and find pets. It's super cute.

edit: Also, a bunch of the patches are just virtual forms of the deco pierces, if you don't want to spend a ton on the pierces! You can just get a used P's on eBay, and then on Etsy there's a couple sellers that make cosmetic pierces (if yours doesn't come with the heart plug, so you don't get dirt inside)

I enjoy the Tamagotchi Friends: Dream Town for it's simplicity.

However, I get quickly bored within a few days and tell myself there's no point in taking care of them and

soon remove the batteries, only to start up a different one shortly afterwards, hahahaa...

I'm looking to get a Shodai Tamagotchi from japanyouwant.com sometime. :mellow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back