Craving to quench my tamagotchi gen 2 thirst

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucidLyes

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been wanting to raise some old school tamagotchis these days. Basically I'm really not interested in current tamagotchis with color and HD graphics and mostly care about the ones I grew up with. I had a blue gen2 classic tamagotchi that I'd really like to raise again. I'm aware of the tamagotchi classic app for android and I even have it right now but it's based on the gen1. I've found an apk named tamagotchi classic gen2 but it crashes instantly and I wonder why that is.

I was wondering what options were available as I live in a pretty poor country and I can't easily find actual tamagotchis for sale. 

I've tried the GameBoy game but it's far from replacing an actual tamagotchi. It's really interesting I have to say, but its gameplay is radically different from the original thing. The SNES version is only in Japanese afaik.

The windows 95 Tamagotchi CD ROM is great but it keeps resetting everytime I shut down my computer... And I don't really sit in front of my computer most of the time (especially since the start of COVID19).

I was also wondering whether there was anything resembling a tamagotchi emulator that would contain every old school tamagotchi that existed back then. Is there even a project of bringing this to the people? I'm a programmer myself and I would definitely try to help if such a project existed.

Bandai seems focused on their Generation 1 rereleases unfortunately. They did rerelease Generation 2 during the 20th anniversary, so maybe they’ll print it again some time.

I'm really not interested in current tamagotchis with color and HD graphics
The current Tamagotchi’s are 128p. That’s pretty far removed from HD (720p) 😜

I was also wondering whether there was anything resembling a tamagotchi emulator that would contain every old school tamagotchi that existed back then. Is there even a project of bringing this to the people?
The piracy industry prefers bootlegs over emulation when it comes to Tamagotchi. There’s only a Tamagotchi Generation 1 emulator, and it’s extremely barebones. Emulation is something they mainly use against Nintendo; there’s a Wii U emulator and a Switch emulator, but not a functional PlayStation Vita emulator, despite the fact that that would probably be easier to make and less intensive to run than those. So don’t expect them to make emulators for all the various Tamagotchi hardware variations over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandai seems focused on their Generation 1 rereleases unfortunately. They did rerelease Generation 2 during the 20th anniversary, so maybe they’ll print it again some time.
Each wave of the current "Tamagotchi Original" re-releases are always split 50/50 between Gen 1 and Gen 2. :)

But I’m not sure if that can be ordered from the country @LucidLyes lives in.
Basically there are workarounds but our currency is not too valuable so purchasing an actual tamagotchi is more of an investment than it would be for you guys and I can't really afford it these days.

Each wave of the current "Tamagotchi Original" re-releases are always split 50/50 between Gen 1 and Gen 2. :)
I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you explain please?

The current Tamagotchi’s are 128p. That’s pretty far removed from HD (720p) 
I meant, HD compared to the original 16x16 screen lol. 

The piracy industry prefers bootlegs over emulation when it comes to Tamagotchi. There’s only a Tamagotchi Generation 1 emulator, and it’s extremely barebones.
I think it's due to the fact that it's easier to copy the contents of a cartridge than the contents of a tamagotchi chip. I was mostly asking because I've often been amazed at what hackers could pull out when they desperately want something lol.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you explain please?
My apologies - I should have been clearer! :)

A couple of years ago, Bandai re-issued the Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices in the form of a line that's referred to as "Tamagotchi Original" or "The Original Tamagotchi" (retailers often list them under the former name, and the box uses the latter), and they're still regularly releasing new waves. Each wave contains an even split of Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices in new shell designs.

They're the ones that @Joc linked to above, and mentioned as being Bandai's current focus for the vintage stuff, rather than mobile apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies - I should have been clearer! :)

A couple of years ago, Bandai re-issued the Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices in the form of a line that's referred to as "Tamagotchi Original" or "The Original Tamagotchi" (retailers often list them under the former name, and the box uses the latter), and they're still regularly releasing new waves. Each wave contains an even split of Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices in new shell designs.

They're the ones that @Joc linked to above, and mentioned as being Bandai's current focus for the vintage stuff, rather than mobile apps.
Well that's sad news for me, as I don't think I can put my hand on anything physical at the moment. All I have is a disgusting fake Bunny ROM ""Tamagotchi" "Connection"" that resets everytime I put it in my pocket. I've read your review of the Bunny ROM btw, I really liked it!

Someone made a Tamagotchi simulation awhile back but it's more for the connection models. Still might be worth trying if you wont have anything else for awhile. There's also an app for the Dinky Dino which is vintage virtual pet although not like the original Tamagotchi. I do know that there are emulators for both the Angelgotchi and Devilgotchi but it looks like you'll have to download them from some file sharing site on the internet.

Someone made a Tamagotchi simulation awhile back but it's more for the connection models. Still might be worth trying if you wont have anything else for awhile. There's also an app for the Dinky Dino which is vintage virtual pet although not like the original Tamagotchi. I do know that there are emulators for both the Angelgotchi and Devilgotchi but it looks like you'll have to download them from some file sharing site on the internet.
Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I had the Dinky Dino app and kept a dino for around 10 days (it died yesterday). The problem is that the free version only has 1 growth path so I don't see the point in restarting it over again.

There's also RetroMon, which looks like it emulates the original Digital Monsters. I'm giving that a shot.

I do know that there are emulators for both the Angelgotchi and Devilgotchi but it looks like you'll have to download them from some file sharing site on the internet.
I think you're referring to Tamagotchi Simulator 3. I remember downloading it back in 2009. I don't know why but I didn't end up playing it for a long while. In any case, this is actually exactly what I was looking for, as it has generations 1 & 2 in addition to the Plus version which I can convince myself is a culmination of the Tamagotchi Connection devices (not sure how much truth is in this statement). So I'd like to thank you for that :)  

All I have is a disgusting fake Bunny ROM ""Tamagotchi" "Connection"" that resets everytime I put it in my pocket.
This thing is just hilarious. I've fed it 99 bread rolls, yelled school lessons at it until it grew 99 "days" of age, and now all it does is walk left and right forever and poop occasionnally (often multiple times in a row - how ironically appropriate). It never gets hungry, never gets bored, and never changes. What a useless piece of junk 😂😂

Latest posts

Back