Dogfish's Tama Log

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait so the character game is like the dual training in Digimon v20 you mean? Where it follows set patterns rather than being random? My mind is blown.
As far as I'm aware, yeah - the Digimon training just feels like a reskin of the Gen 1 game (in fact, in the original Digimon, I'm pretty sure that that's what it was). It's definitely not totally random, and I'm pretty sure that it's not the result of there only being so many combinations of five left/right movements, since I think in that case there might be more patterns in use.

ahh, i personally don't mind the gen 1 game, really. i did notice when i got kuchipatchi a while back on naruto that it seemed to pause just a little bit longer before deciding on the direction i didn't pick, haha. it definitely felt like it was cheating in order to get candy from me! i noticed the patterns too, so i only lose the game every so often.

i've never gotten to play with a digimon, so i wouldn't know much about how similar the games are. i do hope to get one of them at some point!

i think i'll probably go with keanu as the nickname, since i'm not so familiar with clarissa explains it all, and i think keanu reeves is a cool guy! thank you for suggesting it Penguin-Keeper!

and a slight update for the log part of this thread: unfortunately i missed a discipline call on mori II, so unless naruto II becomes mametchi, there won't be any real answers as to the exact nature of care mistakes during and just after the baby stage. i might have to run them again, haha. if it comes to that, it'll be in the background of me documenting R2 and the rest of the mini's animations.

mori II and naruto II have evolved!

PXL_20211110_022415757~2.jpg

so, as far as i know, the only differences in care between them would have occurred during the baby stage. they both did achieve 100% discipline, despite my thinking i had missed a call (i didn't, they were just out of sync). naruto II was not cared for perfectly during the baby stage, while mori II was... if it really came down to the baby stage, the result should have been flipped. so... there's something else?

at the very least, this does mean that the baby stage doesn't have to be perfect, which was known. i can't really think of any other reason for these discrepancies...

besides all that, george has been set back in its box, and will stay there until i get a permanent replacement screw. as for fran II, i'm sort of just waiting for it to die, haha. nyorotchi is a little more resilient on the mini. i think the characters may have the same coding between each of them, really, with the only difference being the sprites, though i can't say for sure.

and for next time, i'll be starting up keanu and R2! mori II and naruto II will be hanging out in the background.

thanks for reading!

hi! i'm back for an update!

first off, here's a video of kuchipatchi on the mini:

View attachment PXL_20211119_032049959~2.mp4

fran III has been around for quite a while now, haha. after her, all i'll need are oyajitchi, and maskutchi's animations. then the mini can rest for a while haha.

here's a picture of the whole ensemble:

PXL_20211127_180632151~2.jpg

we've got mori III as a takotchi! and naruto III is probably on its way to tarakotchi :tarakotchi:

now about R2... i like it! it makes cute R2D2-ish beeps! it wakes up at 7 for some reason (do all nanos wake up at 7?), and every hour on the dot it'll show some kind of star wars-y thing on screen that you have to press the a button and dismiss within 3 minutes. it does beep when yoda or general grievous or any number of other encounters shows up, so its not hard to catch. i don't know if it has an effect either way, but it's cute regardless.

the R2 in the picture is actually my third one (the whole process is pretty quick, so long as you don't have to pause it like i do). on the tamagotchi wiki, it says the one i have now is called 'Kerner Optical Holographic Projector (2)', and the first one i got was the x-wing starfighter. the second one... got carried away by jawas, haha.

for the next go around, i'd like to get pictures of this stuff, and actually run keanu at least once lol.

also, i got my first paycheck at my new job and immediately spent 80 bucks on japanyouwant (as one does)! i'm sure it'll be a lot of fun showing the two new additions off once they get here!

it doesn't feel that way to me; R2's charge (in place of hunger) and happiness levels decay pretty slowly, so i don't actually have to check him too often. my second R2 only died (was stolen by jawas) because i purposefully ignored it, lol. the games are easy too, and you don't even have to play them if you don't have the time.

honestly, it's kind of hard to do badly haha. i don't know if nanos differentiate as much between good care and bad care etc for the outcomes either. any evolution seems as good as any other to me.

as for the pac-man ones, from what i know about them, they seem more similar to normal tamas than most nanos, though i could be wrong.

quite a bit has happened since the last update!

here's tarakotchi on naruto:

PXL_20211129_010918355~2.jpg

and with that, both mori and naruto will be set aside for now, in favor of my two newest arrivals!

PXL_20211129_001543575~2.jpg

here we have the pastel blue angelgotch with early version icons (they look the same as japanese P1 and P2 icons) with marutchi angel, and...! a lemon yellow keitama with hitodetchi! i've been playing with them since yesterday, and i can say i already like them both a lot!

the angel is really cute; i like that you're sort of training a passed on tama to become a great (or terrible) angel. the game is easy, just flying over a shooting star, and that's good since it's the only way to raise the angel's effort meter, which replaces happiness. you feed it pies (?) as its meals, and chocolates (little heart shaped ones <3) to raise its tenshi power. there's a bunch more little details, but the point is, i think it's lovely.

also! i've nicknamed this angelgotch lucy.

now to talk about the keitama! i'll not nickname it, since you can name the tamas in the device. right now, a male tama named esso (いっそ) is hanging out onscreen. here's a little animation that can play when you press the c button:

View attachment PXL_20211129_192412550~2.mp4

(hopefully that video works? it's causing trouble for me, haha)

though the keitama has the same shape as a V3, there's relatively few similarities in the programming. the characters are different, as are the games, and there's no hope of connecting to anything other than another keitama, akai, uratama, or entama, since i'm pretty sure my phone isn't about to be able to connect to it, as the pre-smartphones of the time would have. i'll have to wait a while yet before attempting to use the revived tamatown it seems, haha.

all that aside, i love it. it's surprsingly large in comparison to all my other tamas haha, i'd forgotten that connection-type devices had to be bigger. the screen has a higher resolution, so more room for interesting characters, animations, games, and so on.

it adds two menu icons: the connect icon, for connecting of course, and the tama handbook (i assume that what it is). the handbook contains what seems to be a list of friends (probably something that gets added to with connecting to other tamas and cellphones), treasures (i guess this is where toys and such will go), pocket money (which shows you your gotchipoints and then asks if you want to send some to the gotchi emperor), and memories (for seeing a family tree and, uhh gravestones? so i guess a record of past tamas there).

in general, there's quite a bit more going on, haha. more choices for meals and snacks, more games, more variation in possible evolutions... as i go on logging it, i suppose i can touch on things in a bit more detail.

last thing: i said i wanted to show a bit more of R2, so here's the opening crawl!

View attachment PXL_20211129_042400142~2_Trim.mp4

alright, that's enough for one day, haha. look forward to more in the future!

(almost forgot, oyajitchi on fran! this is still fran III, evolved from kuchipatchi)

View attachment PXL_20211129_190757422~2.mp4

Love the little Oyajitchi video! Oyajitchi is one of my favorites :)

Angel minigame is hard for me. My reaction time is bad so I have to really be on top of my game to jump over all the stars. I usually mess up 2 or 3 of them... but I've gotten all 5 a few times too! Fortunately at the beginning of the game or after a miss the first one comes right away so you can kinda pre-empt them.

Hope you continue to have fun with your new arrivals :D

The R2 nano sounds demanding... I'm kinda afraid to get my Pac-Man ones now haha!
Don't worry - the Pac-Man Nano (along with the Hello Kitty one, which plays very similarly) is easily one of the least-demanding Tamagotchis out there. :smile2: Along with the 20th Anniversary Mini, it's my go-to when I'm busy but still want to run a virtual pet.

here's tarakotchi on naruto:

PXL_20211129_010918355~2.jpg
Yay, my favourite Tamagotchi character! :biggrin: :tarakotchi: That shell really is wonderful, too.

Yay, my favourite Tamagotchi character! :biggrin: :tarakotchi: That shell really is wonderful, too.
i like it too! and yeah, it's definitely my current favorite shell that i own. it was kind of a coincidence that it popped up for sale on japanyouwant right after i got done making my 'to collect' list, haha. the first one checked off, along with mori!

now for some updates:

PXL_20211201_232935281~2.jpg

here we have esso as a teen! he became ringotchi. i wish i'd gotten more pictures! i missed marutchi angel on lucy as well; she's already a chestnut angel, haha. so far, i've found the angel to be pretty easy to take care of. i like the little feature where sometimes when you're giving your angel chocolates, a little bat will show up and you have to physically tap the device to get it to leave. it's very cute.

PXL_20211203_000457158~2.jpg

and surprise surprise, esso became violetchi! it seems the keitama is much less demanding than originals are (and i'm quite happy for it). i found it interesting that evolutions aren't tied to gender on the keitama, and are instead determined by whether the generation is odd or even, and whether it's the first, second, third etc generation. so we can end up with a girlish looking male tama! i think that's nice.

PXL_20211205_034941606~2.jpg

here's esso brushing his teeth! it's a little animation that plays in the morning and evening. very cute! he'll take baths in the evening as well.

i'd like to write more, though i think it'd be better if i could get some pictures or videos to better show what i'm talking about, so i suppose i can cut things short for now.

before i go, here's a couple pictures of R2!

PXL_20211205_023401305~2.jpgPXL_20211205_030053450.MP~2.jpg

he became the 'Eta-2 Actis-class T-70 Interceptor' which is a bit of a mouthful. it's one of the 5 ship evolutions. pretty neat! i'd probably appreciate it more if i knew as much about star wars as some others in my family do, haha. and we also have a picture of one of those hourly encounters, this one being yoda, of course. once you press the a button, you'll get a little animation of a ship taking off, in reference to luke using the force to get his ship out of the swamp, i think.

anyway, that's that. look forward to more sometime!

The Keitama is cool! I want one now! That's cool that you can get characters like Violetchi as a male. It kinda bugs me that characters are tied to genders now.

I love that they brush their teeth and stuff, I would totally sit and stare at them waiting to see it. How long does the teeth brushing last?

I thought about getting the R2-D2 but I know nothing about Star Wars so I think all the fun would be lost on me. Getting the Hello Kitty is probably a better idea for me right now. I just see everyone playing with the R2 and wanna join in with the cool kids too you know?? XD

today, i've got too many pictures to show, haha, so i'll separate the update into two parts.

first, more lucy!

PXL_20211206_020229605~2.jpgPXL_20211206_020245932.MP~2.jpg

here's chestnut angel's praying and happy sprites. lucy and other angels, i figure, will pray every so often. when you praise it (with the discipline icon on the early version, lol) its happiness meter goes up! i... guess it factors into the evolution?

PXL_20211206_032538112~2.jpgPXL_20211206_235709569~2.jpg

lucy became twin angels pretty easily! and we also got a picture of lucy out on a walk (the door sprite). it's a pretty odd mechanic, kind of like praying in that it happens randomly, less often, i think. i'll have to pay closer attention to what goes on when it happens, haha.

PXL_20211207_035131205~2.jpgPXL_20211207_035850196~2.jpg

i ended up needing to switch the batteries (the ones from literally twenty-four years ago didn't last all that long), so no death (?) screen yet. instead, we have the 'egg', and ghost jr.! lucy II is currently a marutchi angel. i'm making sure i don't take good care of it this time; i'd rather not retread the same path here.

View attachment PXL_20211207_040212824~2.mp4

here's a little video of that tapping thing i mentioned last time!

next, the keitama!

I love that they brush their teeth and stuff, I would totally sit and stare at them waiting to see it. How long does the teeth brushing last?
PXL_20211206_023140312~2.jpg
as far as i can tell, both the teeth brushing and the bath last for a half an hour unless you interrupt them, so it's not too hard to catch!

here's a really fun thing that happened:

PXL_20211206_231210136~2.jpgPXL_20211206_231223822~2.jpg

otokitchi showed up to do matchmaking! that's the omiai, do or don't in the second picture. before that choice i got to see who esso would be marrying...

PXL_20211206_231233505~2.jpgPXL_20211206_231236128~2.jpgPXL_20211206_231244922~2.jpg

memetchi! they set off fireworks for their wedding, i guess, haha. next time, i'll get a video instead of way too many pictures!

PXL_20211206_231247212~2.jpg

and after all that, we've got another petitchi, a boy! i'm not sure when esso will leave the new baby to us, but i'd love to take name suggestions for him!

that'll do it for now, i think. thanks for reading!

As requested, i've named him pod! here he is as a kuribotchi, along with lucy as a takotchi angel!

PXL_20211209_210952902~2.jpg

also, thought i'd try making gifs out of some tiny videos!

pod became young mametchi! so long as i don't make too many mistakes, he'll become an adult mametchi too, haha. i really love the little sprite and the close-ups are really cute too!

i looked in the tamagotchi handbook (the thing on the keitama with a bunch of info menus) under 'memories' and it gave me a code for esso. ah, if only i could use it. i have no idea how to go about that though... it's old tech, not to mention japanese, which i can only barely read. maybe a project for some time when i have half an idea of whether it's even possible, haha. it'd be neat to see what it's like to use the keitai part of the keitama, visit past generations, play whatever games there were, all that.

also...

i got chubby angel! i took slightly too good care of takotchi angel apparently. won't be getting the cactus yet, lol. (isn't its happy sprite kind of jarring? and its head is so big! chubby angel is certainly a suitable name haha.) i watched a little more closely when lucy went out for a walk today; i used the discipline icon a bunch of times, and after a few lucy came back she had this annoyed look, like, 'why didn't you let me have a nice walk for just a little longer, huh?' she looked pretty angry haha. i'll see if i can get a picture of the returning from a walk sprite sometime.

one more picture:

PXL_20211212_023329168~2.jpg

i got the 'serving tray' skill, one of the 5 special skills. i do wonder what the parameters are for evolution, or if it's just random... as far as i know, i played only one game the entire time, and mostly neglected it, filling it up to full on both invisible meters whenever it'd call. hmm. maybe i'll do a little testing sometime? two trials of basically the same level of care, and see if they turn out the same? we'll see.

As requested, i've named him pod! here he is as a kuribotchi, along with lucy as a takotchi angel!

View attachment 6724

also, thought i'd try making gifs out of some tiny videos!

pod became young mametchi! so long as i don't make too many mistakes, he'll become an adult mametchi too, haha. i really love the little sprite and the close-ups are really cute too!

i looked in the tamagotchi handbook (the thing on the keitama with a bunch of info menus) under 'memories' and it gave me a code for esso. ah, if only i could use it. i have no idea how to go about that though... it's old tech, not to mention japanese, which i can only barely read. maybe a project for some time when i have half an idea of whether it's even possible, haha. it'd be neat to see what it's like to use the keitai part of the keitama, visit past generations, play whatever games there were, all that.

also...

i got chubby angel! i took slightly too good care of takotchi angel apparently. won't be getting the cactus yet, lol. (isn't its happy sprite kind of jarring? and its head is so big! chubby angel is certainly a suitable name haha.) i watched a little more closely when lucy went out for a walk today; i used the discipline icon a bunch of times, and after a few lucy came back she had this annoyed look, like, 'why didn't you let me have a nice walk for just a little longer, huh?' she looked pretty angry haha. i'll see if i can get a picture of the returning from a walk sprite sometime.

one more picture:

View attachment 6725

i got the 'serving tray' skill, one of the 5 special skills. i do wonder what the parameters are for evolution, or if it's just random... as far as i know, i played only one game the entire time, and mostly neglected it, filling it up to full on both invisible meters whenever it'd call. hmm. maybe i'll do a little testing sometime? two trials of basically the same level of care, and see if they turn out the same? we'll see.

I love his closeup!

i'm back with an update! it's been a hot minute, huh? excited to see if i've perhaps recieved any tama-related items from under the christmas tree :newmametchi:. only 5 days 'til!

PXL_20211220_193059371~2.jpg

for now, lots to show for with lucy (the third, by now) and pod on the keitama:

lucy II got the good end! (i still find chubby angel pretty creepy, haha, so many odd sprites)

lucy III emerges as ginjirotchi angel! a result of bad care from marutchi angel, haha. it's the cutest yet in my opinion, though.

here's ginjirotchi angel's returning from a walk animation. they all seem different for every character. what is this meant to convey, anyway? you know, i was always uncertain about people who would say they found vpets creepy, or would try and make them edgy or haunted or whatever, but i guess i hadn't found one that stepped into the uncanny like the angel has done a few times now. i can imagine a child finding it unnerving, seeing things like this. i wonder if the american release is much different?

anyway, on to the keitama:

PXL_20211214_024226580~2.jpg

here comes mametchi! as expected!

and after a lovely fireworks marriage, we have yet another boy! i suppose now i ought to make some mistakes, haha, i can't keep getting the best care characters forever!

edit: forgot i also had pictures to show, haha

PXL_20211216_023001564~2.jpg

here's R2, dusty.

Last edited:
i'm back with an update! it's been a hot minute, huh? excited to see if i've perhaps recieved any tama-related items from under the christmas tree :newmametchi:. only 5 days 'til!

View attachment 6791

for now, lots to show for with lucy (the third, by now) and pod on the keitama:

lucy II got the good end! (i still find chubby angel pretty creepy, haha, so many odd sprites)

lucy III emerges as ginjirotchi angel! a result of bad care from marutchi angel, haha. it's the cutest yet in my opinion, though.

here's ginjirotchi angel's returning from a walk animation. they all seem different for every character. what is this meant to convey, anyway? you know, i was always uncertain about people who would say they found vpets creepy, or would try and make them edgy or haunted or whatever, but i guess i hadn't found one that stepped into the uncanny like the angel has done a few times now. i can imagine a child finding it unnerving, seeing things like this. i wonder if the american release is much different?

anyway, on to the keitama:

View attachment 6789

here comes mametchi! as expected!

and after a lovely fireworks marriage, we have yet another boy! i suppose now i ought to make some mistakes, haha, i can't keep getting the best care characters forever!

edit: forgot i also had pictures to show, haha

View attachment 6790

here's R2, dusty.

AWWWE THE CLOSEUP IS LIKE HELLO???? BABS

merry christmas! i've got some updates, and a new addition to my tama collection!

PXL_20211225_180833347.MP~2.jpg

it was, in fact, under the christmas tree. apparently, my family had ordered one that never showed up, but then after i told them i would prefer the green one anyway, they went ahead and got it for me! so nice of them <3

PXL_20211225_181515386~2.jpg

so here's the nature green pix out of the box. it's pretty nice!

PXL_20211225_182659689~2.jpgPXL_20211225_205853370.MP~2.jpg

here's my first egg, and a picture i took when my tama evolved into fuyofuyotchi!

and here's my profile thing!

PXL_20211225_205617488.MP~2.jpg

i'm liking the pix so far. the pixel art for all the different places is really cute. the controls aren't as bad as i had feared they might be either. i'm sure i'll have more thoughts the longer i mess around with it!

now for the keitama!

this is anoko (あのこ)"that kid" basically, haha. ichigotchi as a teen! very cute.

and here's his final evolution, gozarutchi! fun little guy, i was hoping for him.

i don't have any pictures of lucy to show today (because lucy IV was neglected a little too hard, oops, haha) and lucy V is only a tamatchi angel right now. hoping for a new evolution, or at least that i remember to take a picture when i get the bad end, lol.

last little picture:

PXL_20211224_164704888~2.jpg

R2, malfunctioning. it'll happen if you ignore him long enough, basically the same as getting sick.

anyway, thanks for reading! i'll have more to show some other day, i'm sure! i hope you all have some good holidays!

Latest posts

Back