Faded screen display

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBugg

Reaction score
I have an issue with two old Nanos, in that they both work but even with fresh batteries, the display is really faded and I have to tilt them to see the characters. I’ve read that this could be due to the polariser needing to be replaced, the circuit board requiring cleaning the screws being connected properly. Anyone got any advice on how to get a better LCD screen display?? Many thanks!

The first thing that I would rule out, before considering anything else, is the shelf-life of the batteries that you're using - it's surprisingly little-known that they have an expiry-date, and getting "new" batteries out of an old pack can give a false impression of how a device is actually working.

Beyond that, how old are the devices in question, and how have they been stored?

Thank you for your response, much appreciated! The batteries I used were bought within the last 6 months, so still pretty fresh, I reckon.

The devices are from 1997 and are original Nanos. I’m not sure how they were stored but seeing as both have exactly the same issue and I bought them both a few weeks ago, from the same seller, perhaps suggests they were not stored very well. Would you suggest opening them up and cleaning the circuit board? I’ve ordered some fairly cheap polarising film on eBay, as I watched a couple of videos where this solved the problem. Is this a feasible method of restoring them to past glories?

Many thanks!

The devices are from 1997 and are original Nanos.

Would you mind posting a photo of these tamas? The first nano wasn't released until 2010 and I'm worried you might have somehow obtained a fake. Hopefully it's just a case of misidentification, if we can figure out exactly what you have we might be able to find more accurate info. 👍

Would you mind posting a photo of these tamas? The first nano wasn't released until 2010 and I'm worried you might have somehow obtained a fake. Hopefully it's just a case of misidentification, if we can figure out exactly what you have we might be able to find more accurate info. 👍
They are actually Nano pets by Playmates (Nano Baby and Nano Kitty), sorry for confusion. I would really appreciate some tips. I had 7 Tamas, Digimons and Nanos back in the day, but haven’t seen them in years. Pretty sure they’re lost! I had all theee original Nanos so am pretty disappointed I couldn’t find them!

Here is a photo of them (plus Nano Dino).

Attachments

• 73E872B5-AB75-44E2-9686-3CCA5C576029.jpeg
    73E872B5-AB75-44E2-9686-3CCA5C576029.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 5
Would you suggest opening them up and cleaning the circuit board? I’ve ordered some fairly cheap polarising film on eBay, as I watched a couple of videos where this solved the problem. Is this a feasible method of restoring them to past glories?
I haven't done it myself, but in the case of virtual pets whose displays have faded due to poor storage (for example, in attics or sheds), apparently replacing the polariser can help.

I don't think that cleaning the circuit-board would do much, if anything, here.

They are actually Nano pets by Playmates (Nano Baby and Nano Kitty), sorry for confusion.
Ahh! This explains it - the Nano Pals line is, as you note, by Playmates Toys, but there's also a Tamagotchi Nano from much later, which is just happily sitting there waiting to cause confusion. ;))

I had this issue with some of my tamas from 1997. Getting a polarizer screen (any kind) and adding it on top of the screen has helped in my case. This video explains it better than me in text :kurbotchi: .

Latest posts

Back