Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fakes don’t look that bad!
They dont look that Bad,But it has to be Stopped as the OP Says that He got a Fake and Wanting the Fakes Off the Market!

So, I was Just on Ebay Last night when I searched up Tamagotchi. And I found 6 WHOLE PAGES OF FAKES!!! I know 5 People who have Fallen for the Fakes and My first Tamagotchi was a fake.

They label them as Tamagotchi Connections/Cyber Pets And Dont even have real Tamagotchi Caracters.

They are just Animals or Humans.

There is no fun out of this!!!

You can usually get them for around 1-9 Dollars, That is a real waste of money.

Your better off getting a Friends. Its worth it to pay a little extra sometimes.

I hate these!

Its terrible Quality makes you want to wash your hands after you press on of the cheap buttons.

Please help be bring these Fakes off the Market!!!
See this 😡

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my twin sister had Tamagotchi Connections for Christmas a 5 years ago. we got to choose our "My Tamas" we wanted to take care of, But when I came to TamaTalk, I realized that it was a scam. I also knew it was a scam when I realized the reset button was mixed in with the other buttons.  :angry:

Naniza!

Hi everyone! Haven’t used this forum in a while.. but I do have something pretty great to share.

It’s another generic VPet with the Bunny ROM, but it has a really similar shell to the Hello Kitty Tamagotchi? I’ll let you see for yourself.. it’s pretty accurate.

The thing that surprised me the most is that when I first saw this it was a good week after the Hello Kitty TGMC hit shelves. And it seems to have good reviews on Amazon, so it’s pretty strange.

‘Hey Kitty’ VPet

I also hate bootleg tamas, I saw a video on one, there was a reset button on the front of one of them, and they would reset the thing to the beginning. They are just these stupid 1,000,000 Pets in One handheld games. Such a shame 

ahh, man these are always so interesting! i don't know what it is that is so creepy yet fascinating about these things.

i remember a few knock offs/other strange vpets from my childhood, my friends had some. wish there was more info on them online.

my friend had this odd clamshell design vpet, i think it was called princess max or something similar. she also had a green, transparent, tamagotchi shaped vpet that had a picture of a dinosaur on the top. it was dead though, i remember it not working despite changing in new batteries. 

I found the funniest thing in the world, a bootleg tama just called Virtual Pet(s?) it's that same 100,000,000 Pets in 1 handheld I was talking about, but in a sleeker case.

EDIT: I found the packing for the Virtual Pet

81hl6NL78vL._AC_SY679_.jpg

I found more bootleg tamas! This one STOLE art and software from bandai, shame on them
da6dd28c-48cf-4520-9f27-f2e87cb99b75.eb3ce7df5dc012cc964afff82ed33e06.jpeg

I found the funniest thing in the world, a bootleg tama just called Virtual Pet(s?) it's that same 100,000,000 Pets in 1 handheld I was talking about, but in a sleeker case.

EDIT: I found the packing for the Virtual Pet

81hl6NL78vL._AC_SY679_.jpg
There's nothing about this that's trying to convince a buyer that it's a Tamagotchi - it's just a generic product, not a bootleg. ;) (In fact, were it not for the fact that the clock runs too fast, which results in it becoming impossible to take care of, I'd say that these are a fairly decent generic multi-pet.)

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum (also, 20,000 views! Thank you all!) so I thought I would get your guys input on this.

Has anyone else been seeing less bootleg/fake Tamagotchis on eBay recently? It might just be me, but as I was scrolling through the ‘Tamagotchi’ search yesterday I was getting far less bootleg results than before. I am definitely not complaining about this, it makes things so much easier for buyers to find accurate results quickly.

Might have just been me on this one though! I’m curious to see if the market for fakes is declining.  :lol:

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this forum (also, 20,000 views! Thank you all!) so I thought I would get your guys input on this.

Has anyone else been seeing less bootleg/fake Tamagotchis on eBay recently? It might just be me, but as I was scrolling through the ‘Tamagotchi’ search yesterday I was getting far less bootleg results than before. I am definitely not complaining about this, it makes things so much easier for buyers to find accurate results quickly.

Might have just been me on this one though! I’m curious to see if the market for fakes is declining.  :lol:
I sure hope so! I gave up looking at lowest price on eBay, but even now I see these four button ones pop up on Mercari. Thankfully there is a "counterfeit" option when reporting those that generally seems to work! I felt very relieved for some less aware shopper when I was able to get a $40+ fake taken down. 😌 Feels good man.

It's one thing many of the fake sellers on eBay are in China with different laws they're used to, but it's another when it's a US seller who paid maybe $1, then relists it for $25 or more... While blatantly claiming it's genuine or playing dumb. That's not very ethical or fair, even if some folks argue it's how (bad) business works. Let's cross our fingers the market declines for the sake of less informed individuals wishing to relive their childhoods, and frequently get scammed by "Tamagotchi Connection" titled fakes. 🥺

but it's another when it's a US seller who paid maybe $1, then relists it for $25 or more... While blatantly claiming it's genuine or playing dumb. That's not very ethical or fair, even if some folks argue it's how (bad) business works.
Bah, that's not how business works, and anyone claiming that has got it all wrong. :p

It'd be different if they were flipping genuine items (in that case, that's business, and we're free to laugh off a ridiculous price and go elsewhere), but they're selling counterfeit goods and that's not good business to begin with.

Thankfully there is a "counterfeit" option when reporting those that generally seems to work!
I never knew this existed! I’ll definitely try this when I’m next buying anything on there.

when it's a US seller who paid maybe $1, then relists it for $25 or more... While blatantly claiming it's genuine or playing dumb.
Honestly there are quite a lot of Tamagotchi ‘resellers’ even to this day. I think Etsy has the most, and some of them even sell fakes along with genuine items? I’m not sure why.

Let's cross our fingers the market declines for the sake of less informed individuals wishing to relive their childhoods, and frequently get scammed by "Tamagotchi Connection" titled fakes. 🥺
The amount of videos on TikTok and YouTube with the title of ‘Unboxing my childhood Tamagotchi’ and it being a counterfeit hurts my heart. It’s nowhere near what their childhood was, whatever type of Virtual Pet they had.

The amount of videos on TikTok and YouTube with the title of ‘Unboxing my childhood Tamagotchi’ and it being a counterfeit hurts my heart. It’s nowhere near what their childhood was, whatever type of Virtual Pet they had.
This is probably the most tragic consequence, because they're definitely unhappy and disappointed with the quality. They're often confused about it's functions and why it randomly resets, or one of the many other issues we're aware these bootlegs have, which make it feel less and less like the experience they hoped for. It truly is heartbreaking.

Unfortunately there will always be greedy idiots trying to cash in on 90's nostalgia by selling bootleg sub-standard garbage. pretty sure most retailers have a report system for them though as @Eozeda pointed out.
I couldn't recommend report functions enough! No circumstance should you attempt to contact the person, if you think they've made an unintentional mistake. One time before I was wiser, I tried to respectfully but subtly request a clearer image of the back cover to see Bandai year of make, in order to figure out which Connection version. 😅 Her high seller rating and bio seemed innocent and friendly enough.

I was more foolish than anything. She deleted her listing, yelled at me on one of my own items, then relisted at the same outrageous price an hour later – while using only an image of the front and the new description, "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." Better to act dumb than obviously con? 🦝 It got taken down two more times finally.

They know what they're doing, even with a bio that depicts an innocent parent selling outgrown toys like her. My own fault, but it was hurtful, and it taught me to 100% use the report and block functions. I feel so dumb admitting it, but it's a lesson to anyone with like-minded good intentions.

I feel so dumb admitting it, but it's a lesson to anyone with like-minded good intentions.
Don't feel dumb - you did the right thing. Sometimes, people genuinely don't know, and it's just unfortunate that the one that you encountered was a bad apple. The lesson is good too - it's better to just report fakes outright.

The funny thing is, I remember seeing these things described with "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." and similar at one point, and it set alarm-bells ringing more than the usual descriptions do! :eek: After all, at that point it sounds even more obvious that they know they're selling a fake.

Don't feel dumb - you did the right thing. Sometimes, people genuinely don't know, and it's just unfortunate that the one that you encountered was a bad apple. The lesson is good too - it's better to just report fakes outright.
I really appreciate you saying that. 🥺 In general I rather forgive and go benefit of the doubt, since I've had positive outcomes through contact. Though after that person, and seeing similarly priced/described listings, I'm simultaneously afraid of the sellers as well as guilty to make quick judgements. But we're all much better off protecting ourselves and potential victims than to worry about the individuals selling fakes.

The funny thing is, I remember seeing these things described with "It says Tamagotchi Connection on it." and similar at one point, and it set alarm-bells ringing more than the usual descriptions do! :eek: After all, at that point it sounds even more obvious that they know they're selling a fake.
That's how I felt too! Acting exceedingly ignorant to a product's functions or origin is probably one of the most suspicious things a seller can do.  :kusatchi:  Not always of course, just something to be wary of.

But we're all much better off protecting ourselves and potential victims than to worry about the individuals selling fakes.
Realistically, scams and fakes are unavoidable. Even for people like me and you who know their Fakes from their legitimate items, there will be people who false advertise. I have definitely been scammed before, and also overcharged. Ebay is full of people like this.

Latest posts

Back