Finally introducing myself

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucidLyes

Reaction score
I'm a grown a** man that still has nostalgia about tamagotchis in his mid-30s. I was about 10 when the tamagotchi craze hit the scene. At first I could only watch enviously other kids playing with them, but then a cousin of mine brought us a rocket-shaped virtual pet (the Toy Story one with an alien, dog and bird). We shared it between me and my brother, he would take care of it for one day and the next day it would be my turn. That tamagotchi was either faulty or we weren't smart enough to use it properly but it kept on resetting for no reason all the time. I'm pretty sure it was just a bad connection to the batteries.

My brother's friends would sometimes lend him their tamagotchis. That's how we got to experience the classic P1 bandai tamagotchi and the nano puppy (which I remember as being the best tamagotchi we ever had). Since these ones weren't ours, I couldn't play with them.

We then got a Dinkie Dino but it was a fish, so I don't think it was legit. These were everywhere back in the day in Algiers. Eventually I got my own P2 which is by far the one I've used the most. I even got a Zatchi once by yelling at it constantly for no reason (but taking good care of it).

I later got a virtual pet dog which was so underwhelming I have no memory of it whatsoever (and don't care). The screen wasn't even made of pixels, it was like the screen of the Tiger handheld games. It ended up having the resetting problem too but that's when I was introduced to Pokemon in the summer of 2000 and completely forgot about Tamagotchis for about a decade, up until 2009.

My choosing the electronics field of study was probably somewhat influenced by Tamagotchis, I remember wondering how the heck they could function. In 2009 I got my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and in the summer I attempted to program a tamagotchi from scratch. I still have the assembly code and will show them to you guys some day if you're interested.

I think that's enough info for now 😛

Latest posts

Back