Getting back into Tamas!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrisKris

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! My name is Krista and I'm a 35-year-old getting back into virtual pets, especially Tamagotchis. As a kid/preteen in the '90s, I had one Tamagotchi and a few other virtual pets (a Micropup Giga Pet, a Komputer Koala Giga Pet, Nano Baby, and Nano Bunny are the ones I can remember). For some time now, I've been feeling nostalgic for those virtual pets plus the two Furbies I left behind when I moved out of my parents' house at age 19. They got rid of them all, which I didn't care about at the time. I decided in recent weeks to go on a quest to replace them -- but as I looked around online and found myself learning more about Tamagotchis than I ever knew before, I inadvertently turned into a little bit of a Tamagotchi collector. After replacing my '90s gold Tamagotchi with the same one new in box, I bought a couple of other '90s Tamas (two P2s and a P1), a few of the re-released original-style Tamas (both Gen 1 & Gen 2), and the R2D2 nano Tama + the Pac-Man nano Tama. I like my non-Tamagotchi virtual pets too, but it's safe to say that as an adult, I've found Tamagotchis (classic-style) to be my favorite. As a kid, I never knew there were P1s and P2s and I assumed all Tamas were the same except for the outer shells!

As soon as I can get around to it, I'll post a collection photo in the appropriate thread, and I may be interested in participating in a group hatch at some point. I didn't look closely enough at that section to see if people have still been doing those recently, but it sounds like it could be fun. Currently, my gold '90s P2 Tama is 15 years (which I think is 15 actual days?) old, and he's starting to become more needy again as he gets older. I don't remember ever seeing him take this form before when I was a kid. I'm not sure if I ever got one to live this long as a kid, either. :LOL: I know these things were marketed for kids and we loved them as kids, but I seem to be a lot more capable of being a good Tama mom as an adult!

I don't anticipate having time to exactly do a lot of posting at the forum, but I hope to pop in when I can. So see you guys around!

Nope, I'm new to Tama Talk, and this is the first time I've used a Tamagotchi in YEARS! I felt like a dork getting into them again as an adult, but I'm happy to see other fans, at least some of whom are adults. Lol

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome Krista! I can identify to what you are saying because something similar happened to me (now that you mention it, I miss my little Furby 🤣 which I don't know where it’s) 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am sure you will be a good adoptive Tama mama now! :tarakotchi:

I hope you find TamaTalk a cool place to talk about these related things. Enjoy your stay! See you around

Regards

Welcome to TamaTalk Krista!

Your collection sounds like an interesting one. I'd love to see all of your tamas!
Anyways, I'll see you around! Enjoy TamaTalk!

- Meg

Nope, I'm new to Tama Talk, and this is the first time I've used a Tamagotchi in YEARS! I felt like a dork getting into them again as an adult, but I'm happy to see other fans, at least some of whom are adults. Lol

Thanks for the welcome!
Oh, I see. Probably a lot more than you know. Can I say it's timeless?:)

Thanks too for the reply.

Welcome, Krista! Looks like we're trying to do the same by finding our old tamas again and I think that's awesome! The classics are also my favorite (90s babies forever lol) - I can't wait to see your collection when you post :3

Welcome to the forum! We are close in age. I have a couple furby’s too. I had two as a child: one brown and one black. The black one was broken and must have been tossed. I replaced it a few years ago with a green one from ebay. They usually sit sleeping without batteries, but my son convinced me to put the batteries in them recently. They are cute and nostalgic, but honestly I don’t find them very fun. I like their magic 8-ball mode though.

I recently got my first gigapet. I noticed they removed the AR from the recent releases. I didn’t want the AR function, so when I saw that I snagged one for myself and a t-rex for my son. He sees me playing with tamas a lot and showed interest so I thought it would be a good starter vpet for him. I got the unicorn to raise alongside him so I would understand the mechanics for when he needed help. I don’t have many non-tamagotchi vpets, but I like the unicorn. It has been easy care. Currently I’m on day 35. My son has kept his alive for about 14 days at a time which I found impressive for a 5-year-old.

I grew up with P1s and a Tamagotchi Angel, but my favorite tamas are the Connections. I have some Pix and Ons too but not running them at the moment. Color tamas are fun but I like the always-on screen of the old ones.

Welcome to the forum! We are close in age. I have a couple furby’s too. I had two as a child: one brown and one black. The black one was broken and must have been tossed. I replaced it a few years ago with a green one from ebay. They usually sit sleeping without batteries, but my son convinced me to put the batteries in them recently. They are cute and nostalgic, but honestly I don’t find them very fun. I like their magic 8-ball mode though.

I recently got my first gigapet. I noticed they removed the AR from the recent releases. I didn’t want the AR function, so when I saw that I snagged one for myself and a t-rex for my son. He sees me playing with tamas a lot and showed interest so I thought it would be a good starter vpet for him. I got the unicorn to raise alongside him so I would understand the mechanics for when he needed help. I don’t have many non-tamagotchi vpets, but I like the unicorn. It has been easy care. Currently I’m on day 35. My son has kept his alive for about 14 days at a time which I found impressive for a 5-year-old.

I grew up with P1s and a Tamagotchi Angel, but my favorite tamas are the Connections. I have some Pix and Ons too but not running them at the moment. Color tamas are fun but I like the always-on screen of the old ones.
I got a Furby off eBay recently, a black and white one (my original one was black and brown, and then I also had a dalmation-looking one). I had to give this one a good cleaning, and he still smells a little strange if you sniff him closely, lol. I think I will be reselling him and getting a different one because this one seems to like sneezing/saying "achoo" more than anything else, and that gets old. I'm not using him a whole lot, but it's fun to use for a few minutes here and there, and I like seeing him sitting in my room. I find him nostalgic and cute. I might go for one new in-package next time even though it costs a bit more. In fact, I'd like to get two again because I think it's cool they talk to each other.

I'm not sure what the AR function you're referring to with Giga Pets is. My first-ever virtual pet was the blue Micropup that came with a KFC meal. I replaced it with the same exact one, plus my Giga Pet koala, which is apparently pretty rare now and cost a bit more, but I got that one used rather than new in package. I saw the newly released Giga Pets you mentioned on Amazon: the dog, unicorn, and T-Rex. I actually ordered those for my cousin's children because I visit and stay over at their house fairly often, and they took an interest in my virtual pets when I was over. The dog one is similar to mine, but a little different and not as nostalgic.

I never had or even knew about Tamagotchi Angels until when I dove back into virtual pet collecting in the past month or so! I actually purchased an Angel off eBay and it arrived today! I love it because it is still the classic style, but it's new and different to me! When I first heard the name, I wasn't too interested, but when I read about the story for Tamagotchi Angels, I thought that was cool and then I watched a YouTube video and had to have one. From what I've been able to gather, I got a pretty decent deal for the American/English version new in box at $125. I don't plan to spend that much on a virtual pet again, but I'm happy I did! I'm enjoying it so far and it definitely was a necessary addition to my little collection. I will be posting a collection photo sometime soon, but I'm waiting on one other Tama to arrive first, which has been delayed.

I'm glad you replied and gave me the chance to gush about the Angel coming today. I was thinking about starting a thread "What did you get in the mail today?" where we can post when we're excited about something we just received but don't necessarily want to photograph our whole collection for the collection thread. I haven't found a thread like that -- is there one and I'm missing it?

Thank you to everyone for the responses and welcomes! :)

Hey, welcome to the community! :)

I'm in much the same situation here, having recently gotten back into tamas after years away. They scratch a nostalgia itch not quite like any other, haha!

Haven't done a group hatch in ages, but sounds like it would be a ton of fun to jump into again. :mimitci:

Hi and welcome, KrisKris! :biggrin: I was in my teens when the original Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tamagotchis came to the West in 1997, so I'm part of the older crowd here, too, and got back into the hobby a few years ago - it's always nice to see others making their way back, too.

I'm not sure what the AR function you're referring to with Giga Pets is. My first-ever virtual pet was the blue Micropup that came with a KFC meal. I replaced it with the same exact one, plus my Giga Pet koala, which is apparently pretty rare now and cost a bit more, but I got that one used rather than new in package. I saw the newly released Giga Pets you mentioned on Amazon: the dog, unicorn, and T-Rex.
The newly-released Giga Pets were initially launched as "GigaPetsAR", and also offered a mobile phone application that you could use to display 3D animations once you achieved certain tasks on the virtual pet itself. Thankfully, this feature was optional. :tongue:

I was thinking about starting a thread "What did you get in the mail today?" where we can post when we're excited about something we just received but don't necessarily want to photograph our whole collection for the collection thread. I haven't found a thread like that -- is there one and I'm missing it?
There is indeed one - it's just gotten a bit buried by all the activity lately! It's over here. :smile2:

The furby I don’t have anymore was the black and white. I chose a green one to replace it because that is my favorite color. I did buy an unopened one for the same reason you want to. I also wanted a second one so they could communicate but they don’t connect easily. Is there any trick to it? Mine are named U-Tye and Doo-moh.

The Angel is a lot of fun. I only collect English versions and it is nice around Christmas since I don’t have Santaclauch.

There is indeed one - it's just gotten a bit buried by all the activity lately! It's over here. :smile2:
Thanks for pointing me to the thread! I tried running a search, but I somehow managed to totally fail to bring that one up, so I'm glad I asked. :p Just posted there.
The furby I don’t have anymore was the black and white. I chose a green one to replace it because that is my favorite color. I did buy an unopened one for the same reason you want to. I also wanted a second one so they could communicate but they don’t connect easily. Is there any trick to it? Mine are named U-Tye and Doo-moh.

The Angel is a lot of fun. I only collect English versions and it is nice around Christmas since I don’t have Santaclauch.
I think I vaguely remember there being some steps to take to get the Furbies to recognize each other, beyond just sitting them in front of each other, but it's been so long I can't remember. I think it may be in the Furby instructions.
And . . . Santaclauch? *Googles* Holy cow. I've been learning there are so many Tamagotchis I didn't know existed.

Welcome to the forum!
If you're interested in tamagotchi easter eggs, or technical information, you can ask me!
Thanks! And ooh, easter eggs/secrets? I'm always up for hearing tips & things I didn't know about classic Tamas!

Reading this thread has made me want to unearth my furby again, although I remember as a child having to keep it in a different room to where I slept as it would scare me in the night if it made a sound.
My favourite interaction was definitely the eating one as i found that adorable.
The angel tamagotchis have always been fascinating to me but I've never seen one in action

Reading this thread has made me want to unearth my furby again, although I remember as a child having to keep it in a different room to where I slept as it would scare me in the night if it made a sound.
My favourite interaction was definitely the eating one as i found that adorable.
The angel tamagotchis have always been fascinating to me but I've never seen one in action
Is it an original furby? Mine never wake up on their own 🤔

Yet another member close in age to you, also had a black and white Furby (with blue eyes). It was my best friend until it ran low on batteries, I dropped it on the sidewalk by accident, and it let out this horrifying tone...it got banished to a shoebox in the closet, and as it never turned up after renovations my family think it's still skulking around the house. I had a light blue baby, too...now I'm pixels or nothing.

I'm glad to see you had the KFC Micropup, I've got one too! They're different from the standard Gigapets Digital Doggie, but with all your research you must have figured that out already :) Sounds like you're building quite the collection already! Welcome!!

Furbies shouldn't usually wake up unless you pick them up and move them around! :unsure: Unless you had a . . . haunted one? 👻 I actually saw an eBay listing for a supposedly haunted Furby. It was very entertaining to read.

I kinda splurged since the time I made that last post and ordered two other Furbies, lol. One of them is the cute orange and black Halloween witch Furby! I was so surprised I got it for a good price new in box. The other one I ordered is new in box as well. (I didn't feel like having to clean somebody's nasty old Furby again!) Hopefully they'll work! After they arrive and I confirm they're in working condition, I'll resell this other one I bought that just wants to sneeze/say "achoo" more than anything else. Maybe he spent so long being dirty & dusty that he developed a permanent propensity for sneezing!

I'm glad to see you had the KFC Micropup, I've got one too! They're different from the standard Gigapets Digital Doggie, but with all your research you must have figured that out already :) Sounds like you're building quite the collection already! Welcome!!
Yeah, the Micropup is the most nostalgic for me since it was my first one ever, and my most-used one! I was so glad to find someone selling it new in packaging for a little over 20 bucks. Oddly, it doesn't have the KFC logo on the Giga Pet despite coming in the KFC packaging. I think my old one had the KFC logo on it. Otherwise, it's 100% the same. And yeah, I learned about the Digital Doggie during my research. Similar but different! My YouTube history has quite a few virtual pet videos in it now, haha.

Latest posts

Back