Hi there everyone! :D

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porg

Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

I am ‘Porg’ (well, not really, but I do find the little critters cute!) and I am new to TamaTalk! :D I’ve loved Tamagotchis for years and have quite a large collection hiding somewhere in my house (they got put away due to decorating and I haven’t gotten them out since). However, after getting excited and remembering how great they were during the release of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi, I couldn’t resist picking myself one up and downloading Tamagotchi Classic for my phone! :D I am also planning to dig out my old collection and see how they are doing- fingers crossed that they are all ok!

Aside from Tamagotchis I love birds/canines and animals in general, drawing and all things dinosaur related! Oh and I also love Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

Since picking up my 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi, I’ve been trying to get reacquainted with all of the little beasties and remember their names- as well as find out more about the newer models. I’m familiar with P1 and P2 and Angelgotchi- but thats about it (as my collection included all sorts of weird and wonderful devices). I’m looking for recommendations as to which device to try out and pick up- so I would love to hear some suggestions. I adore the classic Tamagotchi designs and am more partial to them, so anything like that would be amazing.

To help spice up my collection and get some models in that I have not used before, my Fiancé has treated me to a 2004 Tamagotchi (it hasn’t arrive yet, though- so I am having to use the images supplied from the seller). I would love some information on it and maybe even some pointers or a link to some instructions? As I honestly have no clue as to what it is (although I am guessing it may be some form of Tamagotchi ‘Connect’? Due to the bar on the top? I’m hoping it is legit!) I was also wondering if anyone has any good tips for what to avoid when purchasing Tamagotchis- or can link me to the right place on how to spot fakes/duds?

5fS5CwM.jpg
6Fq9ypM.jpg

I can’t wait to meet you all and hopefully find out a lot more about my favourite childhood toy! :D Oh! Boris says ‘Hello’ to everyone too! :D

OHc92Vj.jpg

Hey and welcome! So many people are joining here lately as a result of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini bringing them back to the virtual pets hobby, and it's great to see! :lol: (I am such a member myself.)

It's also nice to meet someone else who hails from the "vintage" days, and who also collected other, non-Tamagotchi virtual pets, as well - that's always been one of my main interests for my own collection, because, as much as I love the originals, I also like the variety and unusual specimens that're available outside of Bandai's offerings. (This also ties into my love of penguins - there are a few penguin virtual pets out there, and I'm aiming to collect them.)

What sort of a collection do you have? :D

Anyway, I'm no expert, but as far as I know that's a legitimate Tamagotchi Connexion (or Tamagotchi Connection, in North America) V3 that you're waiting on.

As for avoiding fakes and duds, most fakes at the moment are very blatant indeed, usually packing bizarre 168-in-1 software that's not very well-made into counterfeit Tamagotchi Connection shells. The same software appears in other generic virtual pets, too, and I feel that it's somewhat fun as an oddity in one's collection if you know what sort of pointless stupidity you're getting yourself into for the very low price. There are a few recent topics about fakes and the 168-in-1 software at the top of the Tamagotchi Cousins section at the moment.

If by duds you mean legitimate virtual pets that aren't very good, as a starting point I'd recommend looking up the write-ups on Tamenagerie, which is a great resource for virtual pets of all kinds.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful in some way, and I hope that you have a good time here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Penguin-Keeper - Thank you ever so much for the warm welcome! :D (I love your username by the way, I adore birds and have a soft spot for Penguins). Thats amazing and also great to hear- I adored them growing up and have always thought about them from time to time, even as an adult. I adore their creativity and designs and I couldn’t resist getting the 20th Anniversary one when I spotted it in my local toy store (I am also intending to get my Fiancé one for Valentines day, as he seems to like Boris, haha. :lol: He has quite a busy job (for lack of a better word), so I feel the 20th version would suit him quite well!).

Thats fantastic to know that you also come from the older days of Tamagotchi (I looked at the date on the back of my first one, I feel so old now haha! It only seems like yesterday when I was queuing up with my Mum at 8AM, outside of Toys R Us to try and get one)- and its also great to know you collect other versions! :D I couldn’t agree more, I always loved the originals, but it was so great to have a little dinosaur or parrot in your pocket too- and of course, it was great to have a Puppy too! I always wanted a dog as a child and before I got my first one, having a virtual puppy was amazing (especially one model in particular- you could pick one of four dogs, train them, take them for walks, take them outside to poop. :lol: It was closer to a simulator and I loved it!).

As for my collection, I actually went and dug them out! :D Sadly I have suffered three fatalities due to damage and corrosion (one of which was a Digimon model- ouch!) and I have two with question marks over their ability to work, as they are a bit on the rough side ( I need to order some screws and fix some up and replace some threaded ones- if I can get them out). The rest, I cannot confirm are still working, as its been years, but hopefully they do! I can see I removed the batteries in some, so fingers crossed I was smart and did it for all of them (or my Mother did, rather!). I’ve posted a photo below of those I have dug out. I do have some still in hiding, namely the Digimon Tamagotchi’s. I love those so, so much and I am praying they still work! I need to get my hands on a screwdriver that fits. I'm also debating on parting with a couple (which probably will not happen :lol: ), so that I can put the funds towards purchasing other Tamagotchis I am more interested in. I need to test them all first, mind you, which is going to be quite a task.

PLiJPhx.jpg
i29TEHc.jpg
sAY7yjU.jpg

Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it. :D Its great to know what he is- I had a quick Google earlier and from what I understand they can ‘link together’? Do you know if they need to be the same version to do this, or can I do it with other models?

The little guy actually turned up today and to my surprise he was actually alive in the packet! Sitting there, bobbing about. I have no idea how no one noticed him or heard any beeping LOL, as batteries are not allowed through the post here. Still, I am thrilled to have him! :D His name is apparently ‘Leon’. I didn’t have the heart to reset him, as he has been on quite the journey, even if the ‘owner’ name bugs me, given my name is not Zac haha.

That is really, really good to know, thank you for the information and the link- I am going to take a look at the link provided, as I want to be clearer on what I am buying. I spotted some dodgy looking ones on eBay, mimicing the model I have- but with four buttons. Fortunately that didn’t sit right with me and I avoided them.

Thank you again for the second link- thats definitely going to help me as I branch out more. I remember some of the ones I have being a bit ‘frustrating’ for various reasons (for example, the yellow dog and cat one died very easily and was incredibly difficult to keep alive- even if care was given).

Thank you for everything, you have been absolutely brilliant and a real help! :D Ahh! I feel like a kid again and am so excited to get more involved! I’ve missed the little critters and can’t wait to get more fired up and on the go. I am just as excited now, as I was back then to see which one I get!

Penguin-Keeper - Thank you ever so much for the warm welcome! :D (I love your username by the way, I adore birds and have a soft spot for Penguins). Thats amazing and also great to hear- I adored them growing up and have always thought about them from time to time, even as an adult. I adore their creativity and designs and I couldn’t resist getting the 20th Anniversary one when I spotted it in my local toy store (I am also intending to get my Fiancé one for Valentines day, as he seems to like Boris, haha. :lol: He has quite a busy job (for lack of a better word), so I feel the 20th version would suit him quite well!).
You're very welcome!

And thankyou for the compliment on my username - I absolutely love penguins, and took my inspiration from the fact that I was running my Dinkie Penguin virtual pet at the time that I joined (my avatar is Dinkie Penguin promotional-art, too). One of my current collecting goals is to collect penguin virtual pets - both dedicated ones and multi-pets featuring penguins. It's going pretty well, too!

I loved virtual pets when I was growing up, too - but you know how it is, life takes over and things get put aside, sometimes! I still kept an eye on the field from time to time, and it was the 20th Anniversary Mini that brought me back, as I said before.

I hope that your fiance enjoys his 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini, too! What a sweet idea for a Valentine's Day gift!

Thats fantastic to know that you also come from the older days of Tamagotchi (I looked at the date on the back of my first one, I feel so old now haha! It only seems like yesterday when I was queuing up with my Mum at 8AM, outside of Toys R Us to try and get one)- and its also great to know you collect other versions! :D I couldn’t agree more, I always loved the originals, but it was so great to have a little dinosaur or parrot in your pocket too- and of course, it was great to have a Puppy too! I always wanted a dog as a child and before I got my first one, having a virtual puppy was amazing (especially one model in particular- you could pick one of four dogs, train them, take them for walks, take them outside to poop. :lol: It was closer to a simulator and I loved it!).
Your Mum, you say? Would I be correct in guessing that you're also British?

I got my first Tamagotchi from Toys 'R' Us, too, funnily enough! Though, I suppose that that makes sense - they were the go-to place for that sort of thing, back then, weren't they?

And, exactly! Part of the appeal of virtual pets for me has always been the way that they allow you to keep animals that you otherwise wouldn't be able to - whether that's because they're imaginary, impractical, or even extinct. It's the only way for me to have a pet penguin, for example, because there's no way to keep one in real-life unless you work at a zoo! :lol:

As for my collection, I actually went and dug them out! :D Sadly I have suffered three fatalities due to damage and corrosion (one of which was a Digimon model- ouch!) and I have two with question marks over their ability to work, as they are a bit on the rough side ( I need to order some screws and fix some up and replace some threaded ones- if I can get them out). The rest, I cannot confirm are still working, as its been years, but hopefully they do! I can see I removed the batteries in some, so fingers crossed I was smart and did it for all of them (or my Mother did, rather!). I’ve posted a photo below of those I have dug out. I do have some still in hiding, namely the Digimon Tamagotchi’s. I love those so, so much and I am praying they still work! I need to get my hands on a screwdriver that fits. I'm also debating on parting with a couple (which probably will not happen :lol: ), so that I can put the funds towards purchasing other Tamagotchis I am more interested in. I need to test them all first, mind you, which is going to be quite a task.

PLiJPhx.jpg
i29TEHc.jpg
sAY7yjU.jpg
Wow, now that is a collection to be proud of! It's astounding!

My collection is much smaller than that, and is currently missing all of my back-in-the-day ones, though I'm sure that I kept them - I intend to look for them and hopefully retrieve them at some point.

Regarding the corroded ones, you should try to see if you can clean them up and get them working again, regardless - you never know, it might work.

Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it. :D Its great to know what he is- I had a quick Google earlier and from what I understand they can ‘link together’? Do you know if they need to be the same version to do this, or can I do it with other models?

The little guy actually turned up today and to my surprise he was actually alive in the packet! Sitting there, bobbing about. I have no idea how no one noticed him or heard any beeping LOL, as batteries are not allowed through the post here. Still, I am thrilled to have him! :D His name is apparently ‘Leon’. I didn’t have the heart to reset him, as he has been on quite the journey, even if the ‘owner’ name bugs me, given my name is not Zac haha.
You're very welcome, again!

And yes, most of the Connexion line can link together via the infra-red port at the top. I'm not sure whether the Familitchi or Music Star can link with Versions 1 through to 4.5, though - I don't know very much about those models. Still, they don't need to be the same version - I have a V2 and a V4, myself, and they can connect just fine. The only thing that happens if connecting different versions is that, if one lacks a character that the other has, you'll instead see a placeholder character called Nazotchi (based on the Japanese word "nazo", meaning "mysterious") on the other unit - but everything will still work as it should.

And it's amazing that the little guy stayed alive throughout a trip through the postal-system! Still, you'll have to do a reset at some point in order to change the username, unfortunately.

That is really, really good to know, thank you for the information and the link- I am going to take a look at the link provided, as I want to be clearer on what I am buying. I spotted some dodgy looking ones on eBay, mimicing the model I have- but with four buttons. Fortunately that didn’t sit right with me and I avoided them.

Thank you again for the second link- thats definitely going to help me as I branch out more. I remember some of the ones I have being a bit ‘frustrating’ for various reasons (for example, the yellow dog and cat one died very easily and was incredibly difficult to keep alive- even if care was given).
Once again, I'm glad to be of assistance!

For what it's worth, those four-button models are absolutely notorious counterfeits, and they make it really difficult to search for virtual pets on eBay and other places, sometimes. Even if you never use one, you will learn to loathe them.

Regarding the one that was incredibly difficult to keep alive, do you by any chance mean the one with the mouse-like ears at the top of its casing, here? If so, that's the notorious Nekotcha, as written about on Tamenagerie, here. That write-up might ring some bells!

Thank you for everything, you have been absolutely brilliant and a real help! :D Ahh! I feel like a kid again and am so excited to get more involved! I’ve missed the little critters and can’t wait to get more fired up and on the go. I am just as excited now, as I was back then to see which one I get!
Again, you're welcome. It's great to help out!

And it's a great feeling, isn't it? Will you be taking part in the Tamagotchi Logs section of the forum (which is just as open to other virtual pets as it is to Tamagotchis), by any chance? It's a pretty fun thing to do, I'm finding, and it's great fun to see which virtual pets other people are writing about, too.

x.Optimistic - Thank you so much for the welcome and compliment on my collection, I really appreciate it! :D

Penguin-keeper - Thats awesome! And the artwork is so cute! I was actually gifted a plush penguin this Christmas from my Fiances Mother, who has been nicknamed ‘Pengie’ (original, I know :lol: ). How is the Dinkie Penguin? It sounds like a virtual pet I would love, as I am a huge bird lover (I am not kidding when I say I am known by my friends as ‘the crazy bird lady’, haha!). I always thought Ginjirotchi looked like a Penguin- I’m probably wrong, but thats what I saw as a kid, lol. Thats amazing that you are collecting Penguin virtual pets too! Do you have any photos of your set so far? :wub: I wonder if any of my old mixture virtual pets have birds on them. I’m itching to try them out and see if they are still working. I wonder if anyone made a Flamingo or Dodo virtual pet? Hm. To Google!

I’ve found myself scouting various sites too, as I really want to get my hands on some more and expand my collection. I think I better make a wishlist!

Thank you! :wub: I am sure that he will! He used to have one as a kid, but no longer has it. He’s always asking about Boris. :lol: I would get him a P2, as he loves Pochitchi and Kusatchi, but I am not sure how practical it is, as he barely has time at work to look after them (and we are currently at opposite ends of the country, so I can’t babysit it :( ). I am leaning to the lower maintenance one, as I feel that will give him the enjoyment of having one to take care of- but also not get him into trouble haha. I just wish they offered P2 critters.

Yep, I am British! :D And hating the cold weather right now, lol!

Yeah, it definitely was- for Tamas, Furbies, all those wonderful crazes. I was only 6 or 7 when they were released and I remember it was freezing that morning. My Mother has always been a star when it came to getting things, she made sure to get up super early to get there and be one of the first in the queue. I have never been a morning person, but I can safely say that on that particular morning, I was wide awake and bouncing haha. She even had her own and, much like my Fiancé, has been asking about Boris! I think I might of possibly started something again here. :lol: I have to admit, I still frequent Toys R Us now, as I collect various things like Jurassic Park and Pokemon. I haven’t actually seen the 20th anniversary Tamas in there though, I got mine from Smyths.

Exactly that! And they let me be an animal hoarder- which is often frowned upon, LOL. A pet Penguin would be fantastic! I am tempted to go for one of the feeding experiences at a couple of Zoos with them! Virtual pets definitely filled the doggie-shaped hole in my heart until I was old enough to have one of my own. :wub:

Thank you so much for the compliment on my collection! I am really, really hoping that they are in good, working order- I’m currently looking up screwdrivers/replacement screws etc to try them out (alongside how to remove threaded screws- eep!). I also need to get out my Digimon tamagotchis- I am really hoping I removed the batteries in those.

I really hope that you can find your old collection! They would be amazing to see if you do! I knew I still had mine somewhere, I had a feeling last night of where - so I went looking. Luckily, I found them all! I have to admit, I felt like a little kid again when I found them. I was so, so excited, haha!

One of the corroded ones is in quite bad shape and missing a back- its a shame as I really love it. Its a little fishy shaped virtual pet. The corrosion is green. The Digimon one is definitely dead, its fallen apart- no idea what happened there. Its possible that the screws were not put back in well enough, as I took a couple apart to change cases etc. Do you possibly know what the best way is to clean corrosion? If I can find a suitable back, I might give it a go on the fishie and the black tear-drop shaped one!

Ahh! That is great to know! I definitely want to get another one of those, then, as I would like little Leon to have a buddy! I honestly have no idea what I am doing with it, though, lol! I’ve been trying to find a manual of some kind. I’ve managed to Google on how to do two of the games (bump and get- I think it was called?), but I still don’t know what to do with the money and many other features. :lol:

I know! I was blown away to pull it out and see him alive. It was literally a case of ‘Yay! Its here! Now to find a place that sells batteries and— WHAT?! YOU ARE ALIVE?! HOW!?’, haha! I think I will let little Leon live out his life before I reset. Call me silly, but I just don’t have the heart to kill him after he managed to survive that!

I’m glad that I avoided those! I was almost fooled by the Tamagotchi bit written at the top, as I know some cases do have that written on them. The four buttons did get to me and then when I saw another listing with weird rabbit pets and dodgy looking plastic wrapping, I knew it definitely wasn’t the real deal. I’m already starting to hate them, I’ve been trying to find a friend of Leon and the endless sea of those bootlegs is… Well… Endless!

Yes! Thats definitely the Tamagotchi I am referring to- it left me both frustrated and heart-broken as a kid (as well as my Mother too- lol! Although she actually managed to keep it going for some time… On one occasion). I’m going to have a read through that write-up, though- as I am a little bit tempted to start it up again. Wish me luck if I do! Haha!

Do you know anywhere I can identify my Tamagotchis? As I would love to put names to them all and see if I can find any more info or possibly even manuals on them.

Ohh! I didn’t know I could do that here! I would definitely love to do that. Would it be too late to do it for Leon/Do you have to start from the egg? As I would love to document his life towards becoming a postman! LOL.

Thank you so, so much again for all of the help- you have been absolutely awesome and I really appreciate it!

Heya! Welcome to this heavenly place of Tamagotchi collectors! :)

If you wanna identify some of your other Tamagotchi-brand virtual pets, I recommend visiting The Tamashell Project website - It lists shell designs of all Tamagotchi releases to this date! :) I've identified a few versions here before, so this websites' your best bet.

Manuals? I say search up their versions. The Tamashell Project lists different "versions" of Tamagotchi - You already know of the P2, yeah? Tamagotchis released in the 90's are known as Vintage Tamagotchis (P1, P2, Morino, Ocean, etc..). If you can find a shell of these guys, chances are, well, you've got one! :D

Same applies to the Connection/Connexion/Plus/Connection Era Tamagotchis (Released in the 2000's - V1, V2, V3, V4, V4.5, V5, V5.5, V6, Tamago), except these little guys can connect to each other! If you're raising a virtual pet on two of these versions, they can connect using the CONNECT option (5th on the top row in said Tamagotchis). However, only V1-V4.5 can connect to each other, while V5-Tamago can connect to each other, due to the hardware changes and screen size expansions in the later versions.

There's also Color/Modern Era Tamagotchis, featuring Tamagotchis with color LED screens (+Color, iD, iD Conan, iD Melody, iD L, iD L Princess Spacy, iD L 15th Anniversary, iD L English ((released in exclusive countries, extremely rare)), P's, P's Coffret, P's LoveMelody, etc etc, Tamagotchi Friends/Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town ver. ((Western Exclusive)), 4U, 4U Plus, M!X Melody, M!X Spacey, M!X 20th Anniversary, M!X Gift Ver, etc etc, and the worldwide Tamagotchi Mini - A revamped, smaller P1).

There's a lot of Modern Tamagotchis, and a lot of Japanese exclusive Tamagotchis in general in each era that I haven't listed. Basically, Tamagotchis' had a cool life. It's obvious you have 90's-Connection Era Tamagotchis, considering the smaller sizes in your collection.

I'm sure you're more or less overwhelmed with all the Tamagotchi versions in existence, but don't worry! As I said, the Tamashell project lists all these versions and more, all with their designs! The V3 has a small, stubby antenna, the V4 has an antenna with a sphere on top, the V4.5 has an antenna with a star on top, and the V5/V5.5 both have a house on top. The V1 and V2, as well as V6 look the same, so be careful when identifying those guys.

Speaking of the V1, V2, and V6, the 90's tamagotchis don't have antennas either, so be careful not to mix them up! :)

Anyway, I think I've said quite enough, hehe. Have fun searching for your little Tamagotchis! :3

Tamacass - Hi there, many thanks for the warm welcome!

Ahh! Thank you so much for that website- it is amazing! :D I’ve identified some of my Tamas by using it! Although I can’t seem to find my connect or P2 on there, I think I am going to go and have another look- just in case I have overlooked them. :lol:

I have a couple of vintage ones, I think. I have been trying to find a manual for my connect, as this one is completely new to me. I’ve managed to work out two of the games, but I am still researching into the shop and different foods- I’m also hunting for a growth chart, as I am assuming that there are a lot more new characters for me to get acquainted with! :) Thats amazing what the connect can do! I definitely need to try and get myself another one, so that little Leon has a friend. The closest thing I have ever experienced to the Connect is my Digimon virtual pets, with their linked battling. I’m finding this all very exciting and I am definitely feeling nostalgic! Its great!

Colour Tamagotchis!? Wow! I honestly had no idea that they had been made. I really feel out of loop now, haha. I have an app for my phone which lets me switch to colour, but I had no idea that I could actually get a physical Tama in colour! I’m definitely going to be looking these up.

I am completely blown away by all of this and loving that shell site, I have a feeling I will start hunting for grails of certain shells. I have to admit, I really like the look of the Garden and Mothra Tamagotchis. :wub: Thank you so, so much for all of the information and the link- I really do appreciate it and it really has helped me a lot! :D

Penguin-keeper - That honestly sounds really cute and I love the way the penguin looks (although the one with wings confuses me a little haha). His age 9 sprites are absolutely adorable, as is the watermelon age three! I am definitely interested in getting one of these, they look so cute. That video was very informative, thank you so much for linking it. I think this one is definitely one I am interested in- its just so adorable! I don’t think I have ever had a Dinkie before, so if I manage to get one, I really think it will be a fun and refreshing experience.

Ahh! Your collection is lovely! I love the look for the Chuppi and the Gyaoppi- I also really like the dark blue Tamagotchi Shunen? The design is really nice. I also adore your 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi! I really wanted to get one of those shells, but I think I missed the first wave and I am assuming they are retired now? :(

Oohh! I would definitely be interested in seeing the Penpy, that sounds great! I recently learnt the name of the Toy Story one, haha. Its actually one of the ones I am considering rehoming- if it still works, that is. The Dalmations one has a special place in my heart, as I love dogs and as a kid that was one of my absolute favourite films! :wub:

Is there a way to follow peoples logs? As I would love to follow yours. I adore birds (and Penguins!) and it would be great to see all the adventures of your little critters! :D

I’ve been doing a bit of googling in regards to corrosion and a lot of people seem to be mentioning white vinegar on an earbud… Eep! I’m a bit nervous of doing it, so I think if I am testing, I might see if I have some other old electronic to try it out on- rather than my virtual buddies.

Thats great to know! I think if I get a moment to myself tomorrow, in the day, I will sit down and maybe start a log on the adventures of Leon- the PostTamagotchi! Haha!

Thank you so much again, you have been wonderful and ever so helpful! :) I really appreciate it.

Hoky - Thank you ever so much for the welcome and compliment! :D :wub: I'm very happy and excited to have found this community.

I felt the same way when I joined about a month ago after lurking around since November. It's a super great resource and an awesome community filled with helpful, friendly people who are excited about the fandom. :D

Penguin-keeper - That honestly sounds really cute and I love the way the penguin looks (although the one with wings confuses me a little haha). His age 9 sprites are absolutely adorable, as is the watermelon age three! I am definitely interested in getting one of these, they look so cute. That video was very informative, thank you so much for linking it. I think this one is definitely one I am interested in- its just so adorable! I don’t think I have ever had a Dinkie before, so if I manage to get one, I really think it will be a fun and refreshing experience.
The Dinkies really are worth it. They all share the same programming, though, so aside from graphical differences, a Dinkie Penguin (Yuki Pengin), Dinkie Dino (RakuRaku DinoKun), or Dinkie Alien (Tako Seijin) all play the same.

Ahh! Your collection is lovely! I love the look for the Chuppi and the Gyaoppi- I also really like the dark blue Tamagotchi Shunen? The design is really nice. I also adore your 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi! I really wanted to get one of those shells, but I think I missed the first wave and I am assuming they are retired now? :(
Thankyou so much! :D

Chuppi has a lovely casing, but it's a pretty awful virtual pet (I bought it because I knew what I was getting into, but I would never recommend it to anyone else). A lot of Gyaoppi variants (of which Chuppi is one, alongside the much more obvious Super Gyaoppi) share that pebble-shaped casing, in various designs, incidentally, but there are many Gyaoppi variants and relatives that come in completely different shells! Who knows, maybe you already have some Gyaoppi variants in your amazing collection? :lol:

For what it's worth, "Shuku 20 Shunen" means something like "Congratulations! 20th Anniversary" or "Celebrate! 20th Anniversary". The Shuku 20 Shunen line was a different type of 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi that was released in Japan to mark the end of the 20th Anniversary - they're almost-exact replicas of the original P1 and P2! Mine is one of the P2 versions (I got it because I never owned a P2 back in the 1990s), and the shell is a replica of one of the Japanese P2 shells from back in the day. It's my first Japanese-language Tamagotchi, and I picked that design because it has "Tamagotchi" written on it in hiragana (one of the Japanese syllabaries), which I think visibly denotes its status in my collection quite nicely. It really was surreal to get a brand-new classic-style Tamagotchi in early-2018!

And, yeah, unfortunately Series 1 of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini has come and gone, at this point, and it looks like only eBay scalpers have them, now.

I wish that they'd release a P2 version of the 20th Anniversary Mini, too...

Oohh! I would definitely be interested in seeing the Penpy, that sounds great!
I've just requested shipping from the warehouse of the proxy-service that I use to buy from Japanese websites, so it'll be a couple more weeks before Penpy arrives with me, unfortunately!

Is there a way to follow peoples logs? As I would love to follow yours. I adore birds (and Penguins!) and it would be great to see all the adventures of your little critters! :D
Wow, thankyou very much! :D

You can follow any thread that you like, from anywhere on the forum, by clicking on the "Follow this topic" button that appears at the top-right of every thread.

I’ve been doing a bit of googling in regards to corrosion and a lot of people seem to be mentioning white vinegar on an earbud… Eep! I’m a bit nervous of doing it, so I think if I am testing, I might see if I have some other old electronic to try it out on- rather than my virtual buddies.
You may as well just dive in - the corrosion's already there, after all! It's not like a well-known repair method is likely to make things any worse, right? ;)

Thats great to know! I think if I get a moment to myself tomorrow, in the day, I will sit down and maybe start a log on the adventures of Leon- the PostTamagotchi! Haha!

Thank you so much again, you have been wonderful and ever so helpful! :) I really appreciate it.
You're welcome! :) And I'm really looking forward to seeing how your log shapes up!

Hoky - It definitely sounds (and feels) like my kind of place! :D I was the only one *really* into Tamagotchis whilst growing up, bar one friend, so finding this community has been amazing and has made me very excited! :D Its great to chat to people who share the same love and I am absolutely loving the fact that I am finding out about all sorts of wonderful Tamagotchis! :wub:

Penguin-keeper - I’m definitely going to look into getting one. :D I’ve added the Dinky Penguin to my virtual pet wishlist. Thank you for making me aware of this particular one, its so cute!

Yeah, it was the case on the Chuppi that attracted me- I love the little nest design. Thats a real shame that its not that good! :( Although you have got me curious now, I might have to go and have a closer look at my collection again. I honestly have no idea what half of them are, besides the obvious ones with their names on them, haha. :lol: Its going to be a fun (and possibly long) road to naming all of them, at least I know a few already! :D

Ah! I honestly did not know that, its definitely a gorgeous case and one to be proud of. I love cases that are a bit different/have neat little designs on them. That is awesome that it is almost a replica of the P1 and P2’s! I might have to look into getting one for myself, if possible. I have a real soft spot for the original characters. Plus I have to agree, the feeling of owning a brand new classing now must be amazing!

Thats a real shame, I suppose I could always entertain the scalpers at some point- even if it really pains me to do so. I am upset to have missed them to be honest, I think I found out just a bit too late! Still, at least I have my white one. :)

I bet you can’t wait for Penpy to arrive, even if it will be a little while yet. Will you be including it in your log when you get it? :D

You are most welcome- I love your little collection and have loved your log so far, as well as seeing what they evolve into. :wub: I think I’ve done it right and am now following!

That is completely true. The battery leak appears to be green, which is a new one to me- I’m used to seeing white/creamish coloured residue. Judging from the state of it, I think I will have to agree with you that this couldn’t possibly make it worse, haha!

Thank you! I actually got it started up today. Although taking photos of Leon is a bit awkward. After looking at the case and how its put together, I am wondering if he may of possibly of been opened at some point. His pixels are quite faded in certain angles also- I’m not sure if this is a ‘thing’ with the connections, so I think I will need to investigate. I don’t want to start messing with his screws if it is common for them to look this way- especially as its only super faded in certain positions and only mildly so straight-on.

Although you have got me curious now, I might have to go and have a closer look at my collection again. I honestly have no idea what half of them are, besides the obvious ones with their names on them, haha. :lol: Its going to be a fun (and possibly long) road to naming all of them, at least I know a few already! :D
You should definitely get some slightly more close-up photographs and post an identification thread somewhere on the forum! I'm not quite sure which section is the right one, though...

Still, it would help both you, and others who are looking for information about their own mystery virtual pets who might then find the thread, too.

Thats a real shame, I suppose I could always entertain the scalpers at some point- even if it really pains me to do so. I am upset to have missed them to be honest, I think I found out just a bit too late! Still, at least I have my white one. :)
The first wave sold out really quickly, to be fair - I knew about it ahead of time, and I still had trouble getting hold of one. Mine was one of the last few in stock at my local branch of Smyths Toys (who seemed to get the majority of the nation's Series 1 stock, with The Entertainer seemingly not getting as many), and I had to use their Click & Collect service to secure it before rushing over there to pick it up. If I hadn't done so, I wouldn't have been able to get one at all.

Not only that, but they were virtually unavailable online. I don't know whether that was due to stock shortages, or scalpers using software to aid them in quickly snapping up new stock as soon as it went live, though.

I bet you can’t wait for Penpy to arrive, even if it will be a little while yet. Will you be including it in your log when you get it? :D
Absolutely, and absolutely! :lol:

You are most welcome- I love your little collection and have loved your log so far, as well as seeing what they evolve into. :wub: I think I’ve done it right and am now following!
Thankyou very, very much. :)

Thank you! I actually got it started up today. Although taking photos of Leon is a bit awkward. After looking at the case and how its put together, I am wondering if he may of possibly of been opened at some point. His pixels are quite faded in certain angles also- I’m not sure if this is a ‘thing’ with the connections, so I think I will need to investigate. I don’t want to start messing with his screws if it is common for them to look this way- especially as its only super faded in certain positions and only mildly so straight-on.
I just saw that you've started your log - I just read the first entry, in fact. I'll post a comment on it over there, though!

As for your V3's display, I wouldn't worry about that too much - it sounds more like a case of a weak battery, to me. Once you get to the point of putting in a new one, you'll almost certainly find that this issue goes away. ;)

EDIT: I just thought that I ought to let you know that I just saw a match for one of your many virtual pets in

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png! :lol: It's a Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1, the same as I'm currently running, but in a much larger format!

Penguin-keeper - Thats a great idea! After I go through them and manage to maybe identify some myself, I think I might just do that! I’ll have to have a look through the sections and see where it might belong. Thank you for the idea! :) I really hope it does help other collectors too.

Ahh, thats a real shame! I heard about them back in…. September? Was it? But it completely slipped my mind as my life has been extremely hectic in the run-up to the festive season (and it still is a bit now!). I saw them again the other day and remembered, I wish I had sooner to be honest! Still, at least I have one, thats definitely something good to take away from this. :wub: I have to admit that the rerelease sounds much like the first ever release of the Tamagotchi- minus the Internet, haha! I do love the cases from the first wave, though, so I might just have to entertain a scalper. Ugh! I know all about struggling to get things, mind you- and battling scalpers. I collect Porg merchandise and the battle to get anything to do with them has been *intense*. Especially over Christmas, as people I am assuming were also looking for them for Christmas presents. I really do wonder if scalpers do have some kind of software to get in quicker than the rest of us, or be notified sooner. :huh:

Ahh! That is great! I can’t wait to see it! :D

You are most welcome! :)

Thank you very much! I actually had a lot of fun writing it and am currently preparing the second entry- I had a very nice surprise in regards to Leon today and he has absolutely stolen my heart! :wub:

Thats great to know- thank you for letting me know this! As you may of guessed, I worry a lot about things and tend to panic- haha! :lol: Its great to know that it may just be battery related, though. I’m currently looking into things to help with the screen scratches and preparing to order them. I’ve noticed one or two particles under the glass, though, but I think I am a bit too much of a wimp to open it up and clean them out. :lol: Luckily, they are not too noticeable.

Ahhh! Thank you so, so much for the investigation and for confirming that my large one is in fact a Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1! I might just have to go and get that one started up again, as soon as I have a decent screwdriver (or set) in my hands! :D

I really do wonder if scalpers do have some kind of software to get in quicker than the rest of us, or be notified sooner. :huh:
As far as I'm aware, they actually do.

Ahhh! Thank you so, so much for the investigation and for confirming that my large one is in fact a Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1! I might just have to go and get that one started up again, as soon as I have a decent screwdriver (or set) in my hands! :D
It just kind of fell into my lap - the video's thumbnail showed a Super Gyaoppi variant that I'd never seen before, and then at the end they showed the "Garfield-face" version, and I instantly thought of your marvellous virtual pet collection. A little bit more checking turned up the other video, and sure enough, it's a super-giant Super Gyaoppi! :lol: I've never seen anything like it.

Will you be adding it to your log when you get it up-and-running? :D If so, which animal are you going to choose?

Penguin-keeper - Sorry for the super late reply, this weekend has been very hectic!

Ouch, that really sucks- and not to mention its completely unfair. :( I feel sorry for everyone on the first wave who genuinely wanted one for their collection. That must of been awful.

Ahh! That is so, so amazing- thank you so much for letting me know about this and for coming back to check it with the one in my collection! I really appreciate it. :wub: :D I think I might bring it into the rotation, once I get a screwdriver to get into it. :lol: I think the screen needs sorting out though, as I seem to recall that it might have a scratch or two on it (I'm currently trying to research into Displex and Polywatch. Not having too much luck to be honest, as there seems to be two types of the stuff- one for plastic and one for glass. To be completely honest, I have no idea whether Tamagotchis use glass or plastic (I am assuming the latter- but really do not want to assume on this and get it wrong. :unsure: Googling what they are 'made out of' doesn't seem to help either :lol: ). I really would like to get it going though, if its ok and still works (fingers crossed!). I will go for a bird type pet (if it has one!), given I love the feathery critters. :D I think I went for a puppy the first time around on that particular virtual pet, I could be wrong though, as that was quite a few years ago.

Penguin-keeper - Sorry for the super late reply, this weekend has been very hectic!
Don't worry about that - that's the nature of discussions on the internet, after all! ;)

To be completely honest, I have no idea whether Tamagotchis use glass or plastic (I am assuming the latter- but really do not want to assume on this and get it wrong. :unsure: Googling what they are 'made out of' doesn't seem to help either :lol: ).
The screens on all virtual pets that I've ever encountered are made out of plastic, if that's of any help.

I really would like to get it going though, if its ok and still works (fingers crossed!). I will go for a bird type pet (if it has one!), given I love the feathery critters. :D
You're in luck - the Super Gyaoppi has no less than three birds! It has a penguin, a chicken, and a duck.

Penguin-keeper - That does help, thank you very much! At least I know to go for the plastic one now. :D I thought they might be, but I didn't want to just assume and get the wrong stuff.

Ahh! That is fantastic- I think I might go for the Chicken, if I can get it working. I opened it up today and there is some corrosion around the springs, even though it didn't have batteries in it. I'm now frantically researching how to remove it, as I was planning to get it started soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back