How did you find out about tamagotchis?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girliegotchi

Reaction score
I remember mine very well, my cousins all had tamagotchis and I remember being so confused until I finally saved up for one (using my allowance) When I finally got one, I remember being so obsessed I saved up for more, when my cousins would go to each others houses we would all show and play with our tamas together, sometimes even trade tamas (by resetting them then giving ur tama for another tama of ur choice.) we still do it today with different tamas. That’s how I found out about tamas. Good times :p

I got my first one, a v3, sometime as a kid. I don't recall asking for one or even knowing what it was before getting it - I think it was a surprise gift from my parents for my birthday. Prior to Tamagotchis I was obsessed with the Chao Garden from Sonic Adventure 2 (a cute distraction from the main game where you raise little creatures called Chao) and I think that's what prompted them to get me one.

An older relative saw promotions on UK breakfast television in the run-up to the Tamagotchi Gen 1's Western launch in 1997 (if memory serves, Bandai UK gave them out to a number of British celebrities), and told me about it, describing it to me as "A handheld pet, an electronic pet.". I was fascinated by this concept (and, admittedly, from that description I imagined something like a tiny robotic monkey that would sit on your shoulder, or something of that nature :biggrin:), and set out to get one at launch - and did. :smile2:

I didn't hear about Tamagotchi's till I actually got one for myself.

At school, I would see other boys and girls in the 90s playing with Giga Pets. I was fascinated by them, as I always loved little gizmos, and I told my grandmother about it, and how I wasn't sure what they really were other than "Giga Pets". My birthday was later that week, and my grandma came and picked me up from school. I got in the car, and she told me to get a bag from the back seat. It was my birthday present, and I could have it early. I opened the bag and looked inside, and saw a box with a red dinosaur on it. I got it out, looked up at the top, and saw "Tamagotchi" and then in big 90s font down the side of the front of the flap DIGIMON. That had been the first time I had ever seen or heard the name Tamagotchi. But that little brown brick (that I still have in its original packaging) started my obsession with them. I would save up allowance every month and buy a new Digimon or a new P1/P2. I never actually owned a Giga Pet, until about a year later. A local KFC was giving out Giga Kitties when you ordered a bucket of chicken. I didn't even open it, and years later lost it in a move.

Latest posts

Back