How to Spot a Fake Tamagotchi

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peyj

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new here and still learning, so I hope this is okay to post. Less than a week ago I had zero idea how to spot a fake Tamagotchi, so I thought I'd share what I have learned so far. And hopefully you might all have some tips too!

How to Spot a Fake Tamagotchi
  • Any model advertising as an "168 in 1" or similar huge variety of pets e.g., "32 Pets to Choose From"
  • Four (or more) buttons instead of the standard three
  • The buttons may have text (I've seen 'DECIDE', 'YES', 'NO', 'CANCEL', etc)
  • Commonly modelled after the Connection (with the 'antenna'), but won't be able to connect to other legitimate models
  • May feature misspelling or frequent broken English on the packet
  • I've noticed the logo on fake 'Tamagotchi Connection's can look almost blurry/fuzzy
Shell List - To Check if the Shell Matches the Tama (from Tamagotchi Wiki)
https://tamagotchi.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Shells_lists

I've bought a few bootlegs on purpose to check them out. I actually like the bootleg version and am building up a collection. Typically bootlegs are also cheaper than the real thing. Picking up a bootleg is what got me into Tamagotchi to begin with : )

Oh, for sure! But sadly sometimes I see a bootleg being described as legit with the $$ price tag to match :(.

Latest posts

Back