Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi Nano

Help Support TamaTalk:

Timogotchi19

Reaction score

Don’t assume your dreams are just fantasy. If you can imagine a world, believe in it…and dive in.

If you thought the R2-D2 Tamagotchi and the Toy Story Tamagotchi are as close as Bandai was gonna get to Nano-ing up with Disney, you ain't seen nothing yet. In honor of the 20th Anniversary of the popular Kingdom Hearts series of action-RPG video games, Bandai announced an appropriately-themed Tamagotchi Nano in a Simple & Clean manner, and will be releasing it in Japan on October 2022.

This marks the 7th time Tamagotchi has crossed paths with a Disney property, meaning Disney has officially beaten Sanrio at the most recurring Tamagotchi crossovers. This alliance HAS to lead to an anime dub releasing on Hulu or Disney Channel.

In any case, between Sora making the cut in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and now this, Disney is either REALLY utilizing the Kingdom Hearts IP or has toned down their theoretical licensing royalties by many notches.

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
Bandai announced an appropriately-themed Tamagotchi Nano in a Simple & Clean manner, and will be releasing it in Japan on October 2022.
Haha, I see what you did there! :biggrin: Very nice.

This one's not for me, but the more the merrier, since it could bring more people into (or back to) the hobby.

I'm not too surprised that Disney has overtaken Sanrio at this point - for better or worse, they've accumulated a lot of content now.

This alliance HAS to lead to an anime dub releasing on Hulu or Disney Channel.
I don't think that it's a good idea to get your hopes up for this - programme-buyers for television/streaming channels aren't involved with licensing out properties to a toy-company with a line that's used for licensed pop-culture crossovers. There's no multimedia team-up going on here - just typical toy-business stuff.

OldSchoolVPQ

Reaction score
Agreeing with Penguin-keeper here, Disney likely only cares about promoting their own IP. Programming rights are a whole 'nother ballgame entirely. Source: I've worked in both fields

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: I've worked in both fields
You must have so many interesting stories about that! :oo

I just study business/licensing/marketing stuff as a hobby, because I think it's important to understand the fundamentals of how consumers (a lot of people mistake us for being the customers - we're not) interact with businesses in this day and age, now that such interactions take place on a scale that was literal science-fiction 15, 20, 30 years ago.

One other point that I'd raise (and you've probably experienced it yourself) is how recency comes into these things, too; The show is pretty old now, and isn't tied to any recent products, which is another mark against it. To them, it's probably not worth the investment, since toy-sales are the ultimate purpose of spin-off media like that, and you really can't retro-fit the current stuff into an older production.

It reminds me a bit of the minor gaffe made several years ago by Jakks Pacific with regard to their World of Nintendo toy-line, when they said that the version of Ganondorf from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (considered by gamers to be the most iconic version of the character by far) wouldn't be covered because the character was "old and obscure". It infuriated a number of consumers who were looking at it in gaming terms, but the Jakks rep later pointed out that he was talking in licensing terms - the character hadn't appeared in many years at that point (even the 3DS remake of his game was old by then), and wasn't at all fresh in the minds of the mass-market, so they were therefore making merchandise of another iteration of Ganondorf instead.

Back to the Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi itself, whether we like it or not, both Bandai and Disney trade a lot on nostalgia, and I really do think that that's all there is to this one and their other recent Disney-licensed products. (Now where's my Rocket & Groot Nano, you guys? :lol:)

OldSchoolVPQ

Reaction score
It's pretty unglamorous, lol. Lots of contracts and arguing with people who don't read your emails properly, plus really weird hours when you're trying to coordinate with clients in other parts of the world.

Your point on the age of the animated show and its not quite matching the direction the current brand has been going in is sound as far as I can tell. Your Jakk's anecdote is perfect, too! The one chance I think we'd have for Ocarina of Time Ganondorf figures would be for an anniversary, like how these Kingdom Hearts Nanos are commemorating the 20th anniversary of the game's release. Gotta match the hype with the product as it is "in the now" so it markets itself...and convinces your retail buyers it's worth the purchase risk!

We could spitball forever on this but the only ones who know are behind closed doors and likely bound by crazy NDAs. (100% with you on a how perfect a Groot Nano would be though)

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
I don't think that it's a good idea to get your hopes up for this - programme-buyers for television/streaming channels aren't involved with licensing out properties to a toy-company with a line that's used for licensed pop-culture crossovers. There's no multimedia team-up going on here - just typical toy-business stuff.
So what you're saying is that when/if Bandai decides to provide some form of animated content for Tamagotchi, be it through a dub of the existing anime or something entirely new, they could license it to competing platforms like Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, Crunchyroll, or Prime Video despite their streak of success in talking Disney into licensing their stuff for the franchise's core medium? That's seriously Meta if you ask me.

Back to the Kingdom Hearts Nano itself, outside of Sora's inclusion as the final fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I don't have much experience with the series (I know the games are available on the Nintendo Switch - a console I do own, but only through an internet-mandated cloud service, which can be unreliable), but I do know its original characters, including Sora, have quite a cult following, so this will likely be a must-have thing for both Kingdom Hearts & Tamagotchi fans.

And now I'm trying to brainstorm what a Tamagotchi-style Keyblade would look like, and what the Nobodies of Mametchi & the others are. Could their Ura counterparts be their Nobodies?

One other point that I'd raise (and you've probably experienced it yourself) is how recency comes into these things, too; The show is pretty old now, and isn't tied to any recent products, which is another mark against it. To them, it's probably not worth the investment, since toy-sales are the ultimate purpose of spin-off media like that, and you really can't retro-fit the current stuff into an older production.
I beg to disagree. Sometimes age can be a factor, but other times, it can be irrelevant if its the best shortcut to making money. If age was a factor, for instance, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't be getting DLC 5 years after its initial release, and it took the first MOTHER game on the Famicom/NES a whopping 26 years to get localized as EarthBound Beginnings.

If Bandai either responds to mine and other fans' requests to provide a complete dub of a 12-year-old anime or puts those matters into their own hands, I firmly believe that it'll have a good chance of making some decent money. And I never really saw Tamagotchi as having a consistent age demographic. It's honestly all over the place, especially with the Nanos. One moment, they announce a Demon Slayer Nano for hardcore anime fanatics, and the next they announce a Toy Story Nano for a broad audience. Any kind of Tamagotchi animation could, for better or worse, raise a fandom similar to the Brony fandom that caused Hasbro to have one heck of a presence in the 2010's.

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that when/if Bandai decides to provide some form of animated content for Tamagotchi, be it through a dub of the existing anime or something entirely new, they could license it to competing platforms like Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, Crunchyroll, or Prime Video despite their streak of success in talking Disney into licensing their stuff for the franchise's core medium? That's seriously Meta if you ask me.
I have zero idea how you drew this conclusion. What I said was simply this: "I don't think that it's a good idea to get your hopes up for this - programme-buyers for television/streaming channels aren't involved with licensing out properties to a toy-company with a line that's used for licensed pop-culture crossovers. There's no multimedia team-up going on here - just typical toy-business stuff.".

when/if Bandai decides to provide some form of animated content for Tamagotchi
Bandai does not provide or produce animated content - they're a toy company, not an animation studio. In that case, they would be the one licensing out their brand for someone else to work on. Though it's ultimately marketing, this is a completely different field to the toys with completely different people and skills involved.

And now I'm trying to brainstorm what a Tamagotchi-style Keyblade would look like
They really should have included a little charm of this on the ballchain for this one - it would've looked cute! :lol:

I beg to disagree.
That's fine, but it doesn't change the facts that myself and @OldSchoolVPQ have already observed.

It's better to understand a bit about how business works, than to waste away precious time on something that is unlikely to happen and regret it later in life. If we ever see anything (and it's a big "if" given how past Tamagotchi animations have performed outside of Japan), it will probably be new content, since that has more commercial merit.

Sometimes age can be a factor, but other times, it can be irrelevant if its the best shortcut to making money. If age was a factor, for instance, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't be getting DLC 5 years after its initial release, and it took the first MOTHER game on the Famicom/NES a whopping 26 years to get localized as EarthBound Beginnings.
These cases are completely different;

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is both the all-time best-selling game on the Switch and the best-selling racing-game of all time, and it is still a current product with an insanely-high attach-rate. Also, Nintendo's management-structure changed significantly (and also fundamentally) between the time of its release and today, and the DLC is ported over from pre-existing games.

EarthBound Beginnings didn't take 26 years to be localised. The localisation was done in 1990, for release in 1991, but it ultimately wasn't released (and it got leaked onto the internet many, many years before Nintendo decided to give it an official release; If you've ever heard of an "EarthBound Zero", that was the name created by fans for it) - the localised name of "EarthBound" was originally chosen for that game, not its sequel, and the game as officially released shows only this and the original 1990 translation date on its title-screen.

Also, these products are video games, not cartoons whose primary goal is to sell toys to children. Those markets are very different (and, regarding EarthBound and similar, more concessions are made for niches in the video games market than in the mass-market promotional cartoons market), and the windows for releasing promotional animated content (dubbed or not) are usually much, much smaller because the toys very often don't tend to be on the market for as long (even long-running lines see refreshes and reboots, necessitating new tie-in media in those cases).

If Bandai either responds to mine and other fans' requests to provide a complete dub of a 12-year-old anime or puts those matters into their own hands, I firmly believe that it'll have a good chance of making some decent money.
I'd certainly be interested in the business-plan for such a thing. :smile2: It's not tied to any current products, and if I'm not mistaken it had ties to older Japan-only products that came and went many years ago and aren't likely to return. And since the desire is for a complete dub, I assume that alterations and cuts and added superimposed content to sell modern products would not be acceptable, so I can't see how it would function at making money for Bandai - it demonstrably didn't pay off for them with what they did dub previously.

And I never really saw Tamagotchi as having a consistent age demographic. It's honestly all over the place, especially with the Nanos. One moment, they announce a Demon Slayer Nano for hardcore anime fanatics, and the next they announce a Toy Story Nano for a broad audience. Any kind of Tamagotchi animation could, for better or worse, raise a fandom similar to the Brony fandom that caused Hasbro to have one heck of a presence in the 2010's.
The brand as a whole has wide appeal, and they leverage that with the licensed Nanos (as I said before, whether we like it or not, for better or worse Bandai often trades on nostalgia with this brand), but for the most part its demographic is very clear - take a look at the box for the Tamagotchi Pix, which is the current flagship toy. Toy tie-in animated content is primarily aimed at children, who are the target consumers, and fandoms that may or may not spring up outside of that aren't really a consideration.

Last edited:

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Bandai does not provide or produce animated content - they're a toy company, not an animation studio. In that case, they would be the one licensing out their brand for someone else to work on. Though it's ultimately marketing, this is a completely different field to the toys with completely different people and skills involved.
That's fine, but it doesn't change the facts that myself and @OldSchoolVPQ have already observed.

It's better to understand a bit about how business works, than to waste away precious time on something that is unlikely to happen and regret it later in life. If we ever see anything (and it's a big "if" given how past Tamagotchi animations have performed outside of Japan), it will probably be new content, since that has more commercial merit.

I'd certainly be interested in the business-plan for such a thing. :smile2: It's not tied to any current products, and if I'm not mistaken it had ties to older Japan-only products that came and went many years ago and aren't likely to return. And since the desire is for a complete dub, I assume that alterations and cuts and added superimposed content to sell modern products would not be acceptable, so I can't see how it would function at making money for Bandai - it demonstrably didn't pay off for them with what they did dub previously.

The brand as a whole has wide appeal, and they leverage that with the licensed Nanos (as I said before, whether we like it or not, for better or worse Bandai often trades on nostalgia with this brand), but for the most part its demographic is very clear - take a look at the box for the Tamagotchi Pix, which is the current flagship toy. Toy tie-in animated content is primarily aimed at children, who are the target consumers, and fandoms that may or may not spring up outside of that aren't really a consideration.

Bandai Namco's logo change came into effect today, and it appears that Bandai America has been renamed "Bandai Namco Toys & Collectables America" after merging with Bluefin Brands, confirming your stance on them being a toymaker.

This streamlining of Bandai Namco's business on an industry-by-industry basis has made me accept that a dub of the anime or production of any kind of animated content won't happen unless Bandai Namco either forms an alliance with a company experienced in the field of entertainment or forms an entertainment division internally. However, my hope for something among those lines happening one day isn't dead.

After all, rival toymakers Mattel and Hasbro have entertainment divisions, with the former having Mattel Films/Television and the latter having eOne/Entertainment One, so why not Bandai Namco?

OldSchoolVPQ

Reaction score
Bandai Namco DOES have a robust entertainment division - ever heard of Sunrise? Known for a little robot anime called Gundam...
Their visual entertainment division also recently restructured, uniting under Bandai Namco Filmworks.

More info about the IP Production Unit here:
(Sorry if most of the pages are in Japanese)

Bandai Namco Group is basically Japan/Asia's Hasbro or Mattel. Their contents are extremely strong in Asia, and things like Gundam and Tiger & Bunny have caught on in the west as well. The challenges of Japanese IP breaking into mainstream western markets and vice-versa are numerous, but a lot boils down to licensing fees vs production fees vs return in investment (will it actually sell toys/merch and be worth more than was spent on it?)

Turning back to Tamagotchi. Bandai Visual did NOT produce the show - that was OLM, who also does Pokémon - but licensed the brand rights. After doing a bit of research, BN Filmworks (previously Bandai Visual) DOES appear to own the streaming rights for the original Japanese show, and is streaming it in Japan on Bandai Channel as well as licensing out on-demand streaming to U-Next, so that's a good step in the right direction.

The next hurdle is the dub. Considering clips were streamed on YouTube bin the west to promote "Tamagotchi Friends", we can assume some division of the BN group got the rights for the Bright Way Productions dub for the first 26 episodes aired in Australia.

If an overseas streaming service was interested in licensing (paying BN Filmworks) the show, BN Filmworks probably wouldn't say no to the passive income, but dubbing the rest would cost money that maybe wouldn't be the best investment for a 10+ year old show that wasn't a hit nor anywhere near a cult classic in English-speaking regions at the time. So I think the best we could hope for was a deal for the existing English episodes out there.

The Tamagotchi anime got made in the first place because the first revival boom in 2004 hit just right and continued for much longer than expected. Where we're at right now, in Japan Tamagotchi has been fairly minor since the failure of the 4U, and globally Tamagotchi is regaining momentum as a toy brand largely due to nostalgia for the Original re-released in 2018. In 2022, with the brand diluted across mainline (Classic and Pix outside Japan, Smart in Japan) and licensed Nano products, it's probably tricky to find a cohesive storyline that works in all regions.

This would all be SO much easier if Tamagotchi had been able to score the lasting star power of Digimon with its fantastic show straight out of the gate! Tamagotchi walked so Digimon could fly, I guess. Such is life.

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Bandai Namco DOES have a robust entertainment division - ever heard of Sunrise? Known for a little robot anime called Gundam...
Their visual entertainment division also recently restructured, uniting under Bandai Namco Filmworks.

More info about the IP Production Unit here:
(Sorry if most of the pages are in Japanese)

Bandai Namco Group is basically Japan/Asia's Hasbro or Mattel. Their contents are extremely strong in Asia, and things like Gundam and Tiger & Bunny have caught on in the west as well. The challenges of Japanese IP breaking into mainstream western markets and vice-versa are numerous, but a lot boils down to licensing fees vs production fees vs return in investment (will it actually sell toys/merch and be worth more than was spent on it?)

Turning back to Tamagotchi. Bandai Visual did NOT produce the show - that was OLM, who also does Pokémon - but licensed the brand rights. After doing a bit of research, BN Filmworks (previously Bandai Visual) DOES appear to own the streaming rights for the original Japanese show, and is streaming it in Japan on Bandai Channel as well as licensing out on-demand streaming to U-Next, so that's a good step in the right direction.

The next hurdle is the dub. Considering clips were streamed on YouTube bin the west to promote "Tamagotchi Friends", we can assume some division of the BN group got the rights for the Bright Way Productions dub for the first 26 episodes aired in Australia.

If an overseas streaming service was interested in licensing (paying BN Filmworks) the show, BN Filmworks probably wouldn't say no to the passive income, but dubbing the rest would cost money that maybe wouldn't be the best investment for a 10+ year old show that wasn't a hit nor anywhere near a cult classic in English-speaking regions at the time. So I think the best we could hope for was a deal for the existing English episodes out there.

The Tamagotchi anime got made in the first place because the first revival boom in 2004 hit just right and continued for much longer than expected. Where we're at right now, in Japan Tamagotchi has been fairly minor since the failure of the 4U, and globally Tamagotchi is regaining momentum as a toy brand largely due to nostalgia for the Original re-released in 2018. In 2022, with the brand diluted across mainline (Classic and Pix outside Japan, Smart in Japan) and licensed Nano products, it's probably tricky to find a cohesive storyline that works in all regions.

This would all be SO much easier if Tamagotchi had been able to score the lasting star power of Digimon with its fantastic show straight out of the gate! Tamagotchi walked so Digimon could fly, I guess. Such is life.
I'm aware of Bandai Namco Filmworks and Sunrise, but I meant a visual content production unit here in an English-speaking market. The only business unit in the ballpark of international visual content production according to that website is Shanghai's Sunrise.

If modern Bandai Namco aims to keep up with their western competitors across every participating industry, they should either take it upon themselves to form such a unit or strike a deal with a company experienced in the field of visual content, or invest in an acquisition of such a company. Games and Toys alone may be their main business, but visual content can make just as much of an impact on their IPs, if not moreso.

I know they previously made an effort to dive into that medium through Bandai Entertainment, which distributed the first Tamagotchi movie to English markets and went under in 2012, but I still feel like they could use that kind of division more than ever before.

And you never know just how well something will fare until you actually go for it. There is a good chance that a dub of the Tamagotchi anime will only fare well enough to essentially be a re-dub of Bright Way Productions' dub with a different voice direction, but there's also a chance that it, like I said before, could have its own brony-esque fandom and motivate Bandai Namco to turn it into a complete dub.

Furthermore, forming a western-based visual content unit opens the door to potential-abundant programs and movies based on Bandai Namco IPs, with approval and supervision of the Japanese higher-ups, of course. As you said, there's 3 different lines for Tamagotchi right now, but the way I see it, those 3 lines can serve as a boatload of source material for a brand new Tamagotchi series, whether its a standalone revival of the anime or a total continuity reboot. Even though Digimon has obviously fared better globally than Tamagotchi in terms of visual content, there's still concepts it has yet to take a shot at as well. I personally think a live-action/animated hybrid film in the lines of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam would be absolutely genius for Digimon.

At the end of the day, we can't read the minds of Bandai Namco higher-ups and their plans for the company and its IPs going forward. As you said before, we could spitball forever on this but the only ones who know for sure are behind closed doors. For the moment's being, I guess I'll just keep on showing my support for the anime and IP by making fanart and other supportive tweets on my Twitter account in the former's case and expressing mind-blowing reactions to future Nanos in the latter's case.

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Going back to the Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi Nano - I am surprised that Bandai Namco is able to convince Disney to license their stuff for Nanos without a care about the royalties.

I've heard people say Disney laid out a steep licensing bill to Nintendo for Sora's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which was done purely out of fan-service due to Sora being the winner of the Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U Fighter Ballot. If that's the case, I can imagine them laying out an even steeper licensing bill to Bandai Namco for the R2-D2 Tamagotchi, the Toy Story Tamagotchi, and now the Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi, all three of which exist not because of fan-service, but because Bandai Namco just felt like making them.

I know Bandai Namco has had relations with Disney in the past because they were the master toy licensees for Big Hero 6, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and the Disney era of Power Rangers (Wild Force to RPM), but both of the aforementioned projects are crossovers that depict Disney content without the direct involvement of Disney themselves.

OldSchoolVPQ

Reaction score
This is Disney (Licensor) allowing Bandai (Licensee) to use Kingdom Hearts for Tamagotchi for a fee. If Bandai didn't think they could pay back what's likely an insanely high annual Minimum Guarantee, they probably wouldn't have proposed such an arrangement. No one wants to end up in the red!

Also these Nanos are 100% fan service in my opinion, in so much as providing fans with what they like and are willing to buy is a good business strategy, especially for toys! Leveraging a new film (Toy Story) and a big anniversary (Kingdom Hearts) with unexpected product tie-ins is smart marketing. Thanks to Mandalorian, Star Wars is having a big pop culture moment, so R2-D2 probably came to ride that wave too.

For Smash, getting Sora in there was not only an extraordinary feat of licensing (for which I have the utmost respect for Nintendo's license acquisition team), but also a good way to sell a few more copies of Smash later in its release cycle and bring Kingdom Hearts back to the public eye. Which, ahead of the 20th anniversary, may have been a key deciding factor. The stars really aligned on this one!
(Also, the Smash release didn't allow any hint of Mickey, Donald, or Goofy, but the KH Nano appears to feature all 3...now THAT'S a feat! Granted, it's also not a cross-franchise beat-'em-up...without Square Enix's role in creating Sora as an original character that Smash hurdle may have been even higher.)

It's also worth mentioning that a Licensee can't sell any licensed products without the Licensor's approval, so the two companies typically work together very closely in the product development process. Disney has a notoriously rigid approvals process with very strict brand guidelines, so I think what we're seeing here is fruit born from a long trusting relationship.

I mean, it's not super obvious in the west, but Disney and the Bandai Namco Group go waaaaay way back here in Japan. Marvel, too (Toei Spider-Man say whaaat?) In recent years we're finally starting to see this partnership spill into non-Asian territories, which is kind of neat I think.

(Power Rangers is a whole 'nother can of worms.)

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually did not know that they were associated - many thanks for the correction, here! :smile2:

Where we're at right now, in Japan Tamagotchi has been fairly minor since the failure of the 4U, and globally Tamagotchi is regaining momentum as a toy brand largely due to nostalgia for the Original re-released in 2018. In 2022, with the brand diluted across mainline (Classic and Pix outside Japan, Smart in Japan) and licensed Nano products, it's probably tricky to find a cohesive storyline that works in all regions.
Now that'd be a fun little writing exercise... 🤔

The difference between the Tamagotchi Video Adventures pilot and the beginning of the animated Digimon offerings is night and day, it really is. I got driven crazy by the fact that Tamagotchi is mispronounced throughout the former, honestly - though at least the how-to-draw segment at the end sheds light on what the actual source of the "It translates to cute little egg." myth spread by the press really was. :lol:

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
On the subject of Kingdom Hearts itself, Square Enix just confirmed Kingdom Hearts IV. A release date or platforms weren't specified, just confirmation that it is indeed happening. I'm suspecting it'll release later this decade and will be on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and not the Nintendo Switch, but maybe the next Nintendo console in line provided its powerful enough to sustain Square Enix's standards.

Judging from the trailer, it seems to have a more realistic graphical approach (To the point where at first, I thought it was a live-action series for Disney+) as opposed to the cartoony style from preceding games (even though Donald & Goofy do appear in the end unchanged).

In any case, aside from the usual Disney worlds and a possible expansion of Pixar worlds, I'm hoping this is the moment Square Enix takes full advantage of Disney's portfolio and adds in worlds representing The Muppets, Marvel (Avengers would be ideal), Lucasfilm (Star Wars would also be ideal), and 20th Century Studios (My primary choices for that would be The Simpsons, Ice Age, and Night at the Museum).

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Sooo...is tamagotchi canon to kingdom hearts now? :p (Jk)
If Smash Bros. is anything to go by, I don't see why Tamagotchi wouldn't be.

Now to ponder on how Kingdom Hearts terminology would apply to the Tamagotchi Universe. Are the Ura counterparts the nobodies of a Tamagotchi? Are the Spacy Brothers secretly affiliated with Organization XIII? What would a Tamagotchi-style Keyblade look like? Would Sora put a Tamagotchi spin on his usual quotes (I.E. My Tama-Friends are my Power!)?

Timogotchi19

Reaction score

It's been awhile since we last touched on this, but I found this tweet that confirms that Disney actually straight-up said "Go Ahead!" to Nintendo when approached for Sora's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that it was Tetsuya Nomura who was kinda iffy on the idea, mostly because he believed he'd have to find a way to make a nod to it in the ever-growing Kingdom Hearts lore.

In that case, the Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi is more-than-likely the same ordeal, especially with the preceding Toy Story Tamagotchi, R2-D2 Tamagotchi, Twistetchi, Pocket Usapiyo, and Pocket Usatama, so there's a distinct possibility there'll be a Tamagotchi nod at some point in Kingdom Hearts IV.

Last edited:

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since we last touched on this, but I found this tweet that confirms that Disney actually straight-up said "Go Ahead!" to Nintendo when approached for Sora's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that it was Tetsuya Nomura who was kinda iffy on the idea, mostly because he believed he'd have to find a way to make a nod to it in the ever-growing Kingdom Hearts lore.
This isn't too surprising - Disney will license their brands out to just about anyone, anywhere, which is why they can be found everywhere from the most humble of £1 shops right on up to the most expensive of designer fashion-houses. Meanwhile, Tetsuya Nomura clearly got caught up in the excessive hype and forgot that Super Smash Bros. is a non-canonical side-product. :lol:

In that case, the Kingdom Hearts Tamagotchi is more-than-likely the same ordeal, especially with the preceding Toy Story Tamagotchi, R2-D2 Tamagotchi, Twistetchi, Pocket Usapiyo, and Pocket Usatama, so there's a distinct possibility there'll be a Tamagotchi nod at some point in Kingdom Hearts IV.
Though it's interesting, it's just a toy licensing deal, and I don't think that they've made in-game references to every action-figure, plush toy, and cosplay accessory that they've ever licensed, at least as far as I know. I'm not sure that a licensed Tamagotchi would warrant a reference just because it's electronic, but that might just be me. ;))