left after 3 days, even though i thought i was doing well

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pez

Reaction score
So I got my Tamagotchi (he's a gen 2), and the second he hatched, he never left my side. I named him Pete and I brought him every where, and I made sure he was always full, always happy, his discipline meter was all the way up, and his weight was healthy for his age. But after 3 days, I look at him and he was flying away in his spaceship. I just wanna know what I did wrong, 'cause I thought I was doing a good job. 

If you have a rereleased/replica gen 2 and you fed Pete some snacks, that may account for his premature death - since you were taking exceptionally good care of him. Apparently the rereleases are sensitive toward that as opposed to the originals. If that's what happened to you then it seems that even dropping the weight doesn't resolve it.

They seem to have been upping the consequences for higher weight, which I dislike. I would consider it a social change since it didn't seem to matter before and they totally could have programmed it in back then. Not sure how much of it is based on science either since you don't really hear about the problems of overweight pets so much (although I don't read the news). It's often been the case for animals, just like people in the old days, that they were lucky to even get enough food.

They seem to have been upping the consequences for higher weight, which I dislike. I would consider it a social change since it didn't seem to matter before and they totally could have programmed it in back then. Not sure how much of it is based on science either since you don't really hear about the problems of overweight pets so much (although I don't read the news). It's often been the case for animals, just like people in the old days, that they were lucky to even get enough food.
Meanwhile in On/Meets they removed weight altogether 😒

It was kinda useless to begin with. If the sprites changed to match the weight, then it would have made a bit more sense - although body shaming tamas would probably be a side-effect. Although, maybe it wouldn't and some people would just purposely aim for the chubby versions (like me). Chubby cats are adorable so imagine an even chubbier Mametchi :mametchi: , Mimitchi :mimitchi: , Tarakotchi :tarakotchi: , or the ever so laughable Kusatchi :kusatchi: (probably just be a giant beaked face peaking over some leaves). Actually, only the Osutchi and Mesutchi actually bothered changing the sprite if the weight maxed out and that was pretty hilarious.

It was kinda useless to begin with.
Weight forces you to serve reasonable meals at reasonable times, instead of just feeding your Tamagotchi constantly whenever the stomach has room again. I did that with my Familitchi (v5), and then they turned into Metaboritchi's.

Secondly, if you neglect to feed your Tamagotchi, without the weight mechanic, they starve to death in a set timespan from the moment the hunger meter runs out, regardless of how much or little you fed them before. (Or was that never different?)

In Friends (v8), weight does literally nothing, whether your Tamagotchi is 5 LB or 99 LB. But that's more a symptom of that game's general unfinishedness.

Apparently to get Metaboritchi/the Large Family, you have to feed your tamagotchis beyond the hungry meter so it's not a matter of weight (I think the V5 doesn't even show weight). I'm sure there are some people who have fed their tamas till they refused but that was never intuitive for me, so what their weight was, wasn't important. There definitely are some side-effects among versions for feeding tamas to 99 pounds, but for a regular run that seldom happens so it's just a statistic like age. For your second point, I don't see why the weight mechanic is necessary since hunger and what body mass they need isn't really related, since they would starve at whatever weight if they were left hungry. Also, tamagotchis can't go below their base weight - except for a programming error with ichigotchi on the V1 (I think) - so the weight never influenced that. I've been running my Dream Town lately and it doesn't feel unfinished to me, just underwhelming compared to a colour versions with the attractions that could have been incorporated.

Yeah, candies are apparently poisonous in the Classic rereleases 😕
I think that I finally know where this change came from, too: I've been playing the Tamagotchi Game Boy game a lot lately (I'm currently short on time to run a conventional virtual pet, and its concessions for its format make it a pretty time-respectful Tamagotchi release), and as well as the game's time being somewhat accelerated (it has no real-time clock and works sort of like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time), so is the rate at which a Tamagotchi will get sick from snacks.

When I noticed that, I realised that it's just like the Tamagotchi Original re-releases - in Tamagotchi GB, it only takes a few consecutive snacks to prompt sickness, and it takes several doses of medicine to cure it. I'm pretty sure that the number required to cause an early death is similar to that of the Gen 1/Gen 2 re-releases - the "Death%" speedrun category for Tamagotchi GB hinges on this mechanic, even (yes, this is real).

Last edited by a moderator:
Felt kinda weird liking the above two comments. Anyway, I'm glad the mystery is solved and yeah, from my experience with the Tamagotchi Gameboy, weight seemed to be really important so I'm not surprised snacks have a higher penalty. I haven't run it that much - since it's not a background device - but it seemed allot more stricter than a regular tama, although time can be slowed down if needed. I still wonder why on earth they didn't fix the math minigame with its terrible controls. Perhaps you're only supposed to direct the tama when it is moving near a card instead of when the next round has started, but I never had the instructions and the in-game ones are unhelpfully hilarious.

World Record of a Death speedrun... what is this world coming to? x_X
More like a sign of when someone has way too much time on his hands (likely a him). I'm okay with black humor but I draw the line at death and corrupting innocence (in regards to harming children's toys and the like).

On a lighter note, I find it rather amusing that since me and Joc bantered so much on weight this topic has practically turn into that. And the original poster hasn't said anything yet XD

World Record of a Death speedrun... what is this world coming to? x_X

More like a sign of when someone has way too much time on his hands (likely a him). I'm okay with black humor but I draw the line at death and corrupting innocence (in regards to harming children's toys and the like).
In this case, it's simply a side-effect of speedrunning conventions that were determined by countless other games before this one - the idea is to reach whatever is defined as an ending as quickly as possible, and in this game, that's how it goes (speedrunning of more open-ended titles typically gets more confusing than this - see Animal Crossing for an example, where the current 100% world-record is 19 hours, 25 minutes, and 35 seconds).

If there was some glitch that can cause a skip to some other form of ending (or the credits, but I don't think that this game even has any), people would be aiming for that instead. :p

In the absence of that, there are actually two speedrun categories for Tamagotchi GB: Death%, and Mametchi%. As you can see, one is much faster than the other, thus is competed at more.

I still wonder why on earth they didn't fix the math minigame with its terrible controls. Perhaps you're only supposed to direct the tama when it is moving near a card instead of when the next round has started, but I never had the instructions and the in-game ones are unhelpfully hilarious.
My understanding of this is that you can really only prompt them as best you can, but they'll still sometimes make their own decisions and those will sometimes be wrong. Holding the d-pad in the direction of the correct answer and and mashing the A Button seems to work best for directing them, regardless of their distance from the answer, in my experience - though that gets tougher towards the end of a knowledge contest, when there are something like eight answers on-screen at once! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's quite sadistic to even come up with the idea to attempt such a feat 😕 What would be going through someone's head when they think 'I wonder how fast I can kill this thing?' x_X

the idea is to reach whatever is defined as an ending as quickly as possible
Hmm, when you look at it that way (as in, that it's a game that you want to reach the ending to as fast as possible), I can see what you mean, but it still is a horrible speedrun to achieve 😕

In the absence of that, there are actually two speedrun categories for Tamagotchi GB: Death%, and Mametchi%
The Mametchi speedrun is something that I would consider *FAR* more prestigious as a speedrun and achievement. First of all, you're playing the game the way it's meant to be played (i.e. taking care of the Tama properly, and also getting a perfect care character in the shortest time possible), and also a much more humane accomplishment. That takes more skill than killing the poor thing in 2 minutes.

Yeah that's quite sadistic to even come up with the idea to attempt such a feat 😕 What would be going through someone's head when they think 'I wonder how fast I can kill this thing?' x_X
Well, I think what makes people want to kill their tamas is the long wait for it to age up. And getting bored with it.

Latest posts

Back