Looking forward to buying my first Tamagotchi!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selenae

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a Ps - is there anything I should know before buying one? I've been doing research, but I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking into getting a Ps - is there anything I should know before buying one? I've been doing research, but I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered first.
Welcome to the site!

I'd say the P's was a pretty good choice for a first color tama. Plenty of features, even without the dozens (hundreds now?) of download items. You can even make your own download items/toys/backdrops/ect. if your tech-savvy.

There is an English patch that you can apply as well, which is pretty neat. For both the downloads and the patch, you'll need a IrDA USB dongle (usually less than $10), and access to a compatible computer (windows 8.1 or earlier should be just fine, don't think Win10 works). If you're interested in this, you can find more details here: https://mrblinky.net/tama/ps/english/readme-release-1.5.html

Of course, if you choose not to go that path, there are plenty of tutorials about what the menu's mean, and plenty more friendly folks willing to help out with any issues you run into! :)

Welcome to the site!

I'd say the P's was a pretty good choice for a first color tama. Plenty of features, even without the dozens (hundreds now?) of download items. You can even make your own download items/toys/backdrops/ect. if your tech-savvy.

There is an English patch that you can apply as well, which is pretty neat. For both the downloads and the patch, you'll need a IrDA USB dongle (usually less than $10), and access to a compatible computer (windows 8.1 or earlier should be just fine, don't think Win10 works). If you're interested in this, you can find more details here: https://mrblinky.net/tama/ps/english/readme-release-1.5.html

Of course, if you choose not to go that path, there are plenty of tutorials about what the menu's mean, and plenty more friendly folks willing to help out with any issues you run into! :)
Thanks! I did buy a pre-loaded IrDA phone for my P's from CutiePieKawaii off Ebay, so hopefully I'm good there. I am a little nervous, though, as I did send her a question and haven't heard back yet.

I began with an iD L, which is very similar to the P's, and I think it's a great place to start. There's enough content so that it doesn't get 'boring' too quickly (although I do love the simpler models, such as the iD), but without being too complicated. Plus, there's the option of switching it's language to English, which makes things easier (not that Japanese language Tamas are difficult, but it is nice to understand it all).

If I remember correctly, CutiePieKawaii is Pamela; I've bought things off of her before, no issue. I also think quite a few people have bought the pre-loaded phones from her; if it is who I am thinking of, she's definitely trustworthy. =)

In regards to what you need to know for the P's, hmm. As I'm sure you're aware, you can patch it into English; as you're getting the phone, you'll be able to do that and there's tutorials floating about on how to do it (it's not too difficult to patch). Second piece of advice is that, you don't need the pierces (especially with all the downloadable content!) but they are fun! Just be aware that the prices have risen on some of them; Dream Coffret, MelodyLand and Star Circus are some of the cheaper ones (and the latter is my absolute favourite) but don't get your heart set on Disney, Miracrise or Sanrio unless you're willing to pay a lot of money (I own Miracrise and, while I enjoy it, personally do not think it is worth it's current price tag). That said, the VDPs (virual deco pierces) by Mr. Blinky are fantastic and free; again, as you're getting the phone you'll be able to put these on your P's.

I can't really think of much else in terms of advice, other than everything you can find in guides etc. already on the internet. Still, hope you enjoy it when it arrives! =)

I began with an iD L, which is very similar to the P's, and I think it's a great place to start. There's enough content so that it doesn't get 'boring' too quickly (although I do love the simpler models, such as the iD), but without being too complicated. Plus, there's the option of switching it's language to English, which makes things easier (not that Japanese language Tamas are difficult, but it is nice to understand it all).

If I remember correctly, CutiePieKawaii is Pamela; I've bought things off of her before, no issue. I also think quite a few people have bought the pre-loaded phones from her; if it is who I am thinking of, she's definitely trustworthy. =)

In regards to what you need to know for the P's, hmm. As I'm sure you're aware, you can patch it into English; as you're getting the phone, you'll be able to do that and there's tutorials floating about on how to do it (it's not too difficult to patch). Second piece of advice is that, you don't need the pierces (especially with all the downloadable content!) but they are fun! Just be aware that the prices have risen on some of them; Dream Coffret, MelodyLand and Star Circus are some of the cheaper ones (and the latter is my absolute favourite) but don't get your heart set on Disney, Miracrise or Sanrio unless you're willing to pay a lot of money (I own Miracrise and, while I enjoy it, personally do not think it is worth it's current price tag). That said, the VDPs (virual deco pierces) by Mr. Blinky are fantastic and free; again, as you're getting the phone you'll be able to put these on your P's.

I can't really think of much else in terms of advice, other than everything you can find in guides etc. already on the internet. Still, hope you enjoy it when it arrives! =)
Yeah, I know it's patchable into English, but I think I'll probably hold off on doing so until I'm sure I can follow the instructions and not accidentally damage my Tama. Unfortunately for me I've fallen in love with the twins on the Miracrise pierce, but I'm not paying $160 for it. I'll keep my eye out for cheaper ones even if I have to go through a proxy. Thanks for your help! c:

Yeah, I know it's patchable into English, but I think I'll probably hold off on doing so until I'm sure I can follow the instructions and not accidentally damage my Tama. Unfortunately for me I've fallen in love with the twins on the Miracrise pierce, but I'm not paying $160 for it. I'll keep my eye out for cheaper ones even if I have to go through a proxy. Thanks for your help! c:
Ah, I understand that completely! I fell in love with Miraitchi as I was watching Fairy Tail at the time and Miraitchi looks pretty much like a Tamagotchi version of the character Mira (and they share the same name) so I just had to have it. However, I also have a personal rule that I won't pay more for extra content that I will for the base unit. I actually managed to get it second hand on eBay (no packaging or pierces and some paint wear) for £45, with Dream Academy and MelodyLand, so if you have your heart set on it do keep an eye out because it is possible to get a bargain!

That said, both Miraitchi and Clulutchi are downloadable characters on the 4U/+. Before I found the above bargain, I had intended to raise the twins on a 4U/+ as buying one was cheaper than Miracrise! (I also happened to want a 4U+ anyway and knew I had a compatible phone.) I realise that you're not necessarily intending to buy a 4U/+, but I thought I'd mention it, so that you're aware of your options. =)

Ah, I understand that completely! I fell in love with Miraitchi as I was watching Fairy Tail at the time and Miraitchi looks pretty much like a Tamagotchi version of the character Mira (and they share the same name) so I just had to have it. However, I also have a personal rule that I won't pay more for extra content that I will for the base unit. I actually managed to get it second hand on eBay (no packaging or pierces and some paint wear) for £45, with Dream Academy and MelodyLand, so if you have your heart set on it do keep an eye out because it is possible to get a bargain!

That said, both Miraitchi and Clulutchi are downloadable characters on the 4U/+. Before I found the above bargain, I had intended to raise the twins on a 4U/+ as buying one was cheaper than Miracrise! (I also happened to want a 4U+ anyway and knew I had a compatible phone.) I realise that you're not necessarily intending to buy a 4U/+, but I thought I'd mention it, so that you're aware of your options. =)
No, I'm actually avoiding the 4U/4U+ since they require a NFC phone and I don't own one, but thanks for the tip! I am interested in the 20th Anniversary Mix, though. I love the white shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm actually avoiding the 4U/4U+ since they require a NFC phone and I don't own one, but thanks for the tip! I am interested in the 20th Anniversary Mix, though. I love the white shell.
That's understandable; I think a lot of people avoid the 4U/+ for that reason. I wasn't going to get one until I realised my current phone was compatible (which meant I wasn't going to have to search for and buy a separate unit for the downloads). To be honest, the NFC is really clunky to use anyway. I wish you the best of luck in finding a Miracrise pierce then!

Ah, the white Anniversary M!X looks stunning, doesn't it? I'm getting one for Christmas (it's already arrived, too). I was originally a little put off by the M!X as I couldn't unlock all of the towns (meaning I didn't have access to seven or eight of the characters), which I found annoying. However, I do believe that the Anniversary version doesn't need connections to unlock all of the towns, which makes it perfect as a stand alone Tama. =)

Welcome to the site!

I've now seen a lot of people mention IRDA USB dongles for very cheap prices. However I've looked on ebay.com, and amazon.com, and danish websites for the dongle, and all the websites I've been on so far has priced them at least around 35-50 dollars. I'm just wondering if there's any cheap place you've gotten yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back