Matlab de Hakken! Fan-made vintage Tamagotchis

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys! I have a small but important bit of news today.

Long story short I've decided to shift focus to Android since it's the most logical and convenient way to play Tamagotchi. The good news is I've found a way to bypass the daunting event-driven simulation for the Android app which has discouraged me for so long from continuing development. Since your phone is continually powered on, Android can send signals to the Tamagotchi app periodically so the Tamagotchi will continually be updated.

This is very good news because now development will be a LOT easier, and I'm even starting to consider beginning to implement other vintage Tamagotchis, though it's difficult to choose which one. Part of me wants to go straight to the V1, but I also think I should do them in order and go for the Mothra.

With things going faster, I hope I can upload an apk of a complete P2 version before september.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The shirobabytchi stage should be complete (except you don't have to keep the app open now).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PFzgOFoxExOmuFwSA5f0-gMGMRDdFB9s/view?usp=drivesdk

The app should send notifications when shirobabytchi calls but it seems to depend on your android settings. (You have to set the app to run in the background, and avoid removing it from memory through the task manager. This even seems to be true on the Bandai app)

There's a menu where you can reset the tmgc, navigate there as you would navigate any tmgc menu

Getting closer to completion. You should be able to raise a tamagotchi from birth to adulthood in this version. All functionalities I can think off have been implemented, except from the tamagotchi becoming sick due to being oveeweight. In the next version I'll include sounds and will try to draw a shell around the screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TGDEPRxuTp8OUR49ypgPPgDjKypnmX8A/view?usp=drivesdk

You'll notice a toast saying "tamagotchi has been updated" appearing from time to time. That's a sign that the tamagotchi is being processed in the background. If it doesn't appear, it means that the app will not notify you when the tamagotchi needs you. I need to figure out how to improve that.

This is the look that I've settled for. I've fixed many bugs this week, added vibrations, and focused on visuals a lot. I should really start working on the sounds next week. I've also timidly started working on the Mothra, but nothing much to show so far.

Screenshot-2021-08-28-11-47-47.png

Screenshot-2021-08-28-21-04-46.png

I've just realized that a huge part of what makes tamagotchis and similar vpets what they are is the LCD screen... and I also realized that the LCD screen effect could very easily be implemented, check it out:

Screenshot-2021-09-02-00-41-15.png

Isn't that amazing? First of all, the LCD screen on most tamas isn't totally white but looks more grey-ish. Second of all, I was reading rjalda100's log when it hit me: the pixels that aren't on, aren't completely off either.

Screenshot-2021-09-02-00-27-51.png

One could even easily adjust the transparency of the grid to simulate battery life, which goes along well with another idea I had which is to implement a sort of currency in the game, which you would use to purchase batteries, spare parts, shells and even other tamagotchis (same or other versions such as the Mothra or Umino for instance). I've realized by watching videos and reading posts on this forum that purchasing tamagotchis and accessories and doing maintenance was a huge part of the experience, so I thought, in the long term it might be cool to incorporate this into the equation.

The sleeping Tongaritchi up above is 3 years old, I'm trying to keep it alive to troubleshoot various parts of the app. It is mostly functional but still with minor flaws, such as the attention icon never lighting up for discipline calls.

Sound effects have also been added, which instantly made it a lot more satisfying to interact with.

And to finish with, the tama shell you're staring at was kindly made by user Atsuko Mirakami on facebook group Tamagotchi Nation. I think it looks pretty neat, and she even made it in multiple colors. She even offered to draw a background, but we both thought it would be cooler if people could choose their own background.

That's it for today. I wasn't planning to post today but got so excited after seeing the simulated LCD screen in action.

Thanks for reading me, please tell me what you think about the currency idea :)

This looks fantastic! You really nailed the pixel expression. 

I like the currency idea a lot. I think it will add an extra layer of fun to the game. Excited to see how you will implement it!

Will the game only play out in real time? I'm curious if an accelerated version might be in the cards... 

hah! I had to look it up and it reminded me of the 168-in-1 bunny rom
The Super Gyaoppi is way better than that. :D It's easily my favourite non-Bandai virtual pet.

Oh man, YES!! I didn't know there was a pet out there that had such a mode. 
A number of pets that use the Gyaoppi programming offer that feature, but I think that the Super Gyaoppi is the best of them all. :)

I haven't worked much on the app these last few days because of a quite busy schedule. I've only fixed a few minor graphical issues. Also I accidentally killed my Hashizotchi by unintentionally resetting the tama. I've got a Zuccitchi this time around

Screenshot-2021-09-24-21-30-14.png

The app is well beyond playable now, I'm thinking of adding the P1 characters to complete it. If you want to try it out, here's a link to the latest version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RGkaR4GZ2xEeC7Nx7W5tuEdst-71-Kzm/view?usp=sharing

Latest posts

Back