Matlab de Hakken! Fan-made vintage Tamagotchis

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a locale error when trying to run tamagotchigui.exe, is there a way to internationalise the program, or should I try changing my system language?

"MATLAB:I18n:InconsistentLocale - The system locale setting, <Language 1>, is different from the user locale setting, <Language 2>."

I get a locale error when trying to run tamagotchigui.exe, is there a way to internationalise the program, or should I try changing my system language?

"MATLAB:I18n:InconsistentLocale - The system locale setting, <Language 1>, is different from the user locale setting, <Language 2>."
It does this on my PC too but then it works. It doesn't do it on my wife's laptop and Tamacass didn't say it happened to her

Ahh sorry for the late reply!!! I was meaning to respond to your other other post but I haven't gotten around to it until now XD

I didn't get that at all! My locale is actually set to Japanese as I used to use a program that required my locale to be set to it (I don't even use it anymore so I'm not sure why I haven't changed it back, thanks UTAU). It may just be your computers playing up if a few of us don't experience it.  :eek:

Wow! that's lightning fast to me! I'm still using my 2010 Dell Vostro with a Core2Duo that just won't break, so I don't know what current PCs are capable of. Do you have a particularly powerful PC or just something common? It would be cool if most people could just run the app as fast as you did!
I'm using a HP Elitebook, which is a laptop that prioritizes performance! (I used to have a personal Lenovo Thinkpad but the screen hinge unfortunately broke :( ) It's not really that powerful, though, it's mostly the OS (windows 10) that's doing all the work. I think so, anyway. I'm not even on a PC, I'd love to have one though. :D

I'm not sure I get that. Did the program take a long time to start the first time? Less than 10 secs? or more like less than a minute?
Sorry for the non-specificity, it took about a minute or so! Still very quick compared to your own experience.

In other news, here's something I experienced:

It's been a few days since I've opened the program. When I tried to open it today, the Command Prompt that usually opens up when you click on the .exe will say 'Catching up. Please wait a while (8s for each hour since you left' - it will then say 'done loading character' while telling you what the Tamagotchi has done while you've been away (all I see is 'Tamagotchi fell asleep' twice in succession).

But it suddenly crashes for me! I think I was away for too long. I proceeded to delete the save file and the prior CMD (I'm thinking it resembles the MatLab window you use to run your code in - if I press B to check the time, it gets listed there during gameplay) ran its course before the GUI/program opened as usual. I didn't get that far, don't worry - hello again, Babytchi, I still hate your tendency to look the wrong way.

Other than that, everything seems to be in working order. I'll see if I can get Babytchi to the teen stage this time!!

I'm sorry I didn't warn you guys enough that it's still buggy as all hell the other day, especially the version I posted so far. In fact, I've had the game bug and crash after you've downloaded it as soon as I went back to Matlab the other day, and fixed the bug immediately. It was related to Hashitamatchi and I instantly knew you would face this problem eventually. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to you. You've started the game on the 5th, and we are now the 8th. I've programmed the game so that Shirobabitchi evolves into Tomarutchi in 65 minutes and Tonmarutchi evolves into Hashitamatchi in 48h. So basically you get Hashitamatchi after 49h. So it's highly probable that during the catching up phase, your Shirobabitchi evolved, died (it doesn't take long for death to occur, just a few hours without food or games) and then STILL evolved (I haven't programmed it so that it doesn't update the Tamagotchi after it died) into Hashitamatchi and the bug happened and crashed the program. Again I apologize but bugs and crashes are still to be expected even in the next version I'm going to post later today. The devil is in the details.

Sorry for the non-specificity, it took about a minute or so! Still very quick compared to your own experience
No no, that's about the time it takes even for me. The thing that's way slower - even on my wife's laptop - was the installation of the MCR. Mathworks says there's not much that can be done about that initial "slowness", because firing up the MCR will then unleash all of Matlab's power for the program to use.

It's been a few days since I've opened the program. When I tried to open it today, the Command Prompt that usually opens up when you click on the .exe will say 'Catching up. Please wait a while (8s for each hour since you left' - it will then say 'done loading character' while telling you what the Tamagotchi has done while you've been away (all I see is 'Tamagotchi fell asleep' twice in succession).
Yes. These are all messages I've added to help troubleshooting the program. I've removed most of them but left a few. I'm thinking for the time being I should include them back so you guys know what's going on in case the app crashes or seems to slow down a bit.

Other than that, everything seems to be in working order. I'll see if I can get Babytchi to the teen stage this time!!
I've been able to raise the Tamagotchi on my wife's PC up to the Hashitamatchi stage with no problems. Her laptop's plugged in to a TV and remains on throughout the day so it became the home's Tamagotchi. I suggest you guys use it that way if you can too, it's really fun. I also suggest, at least for the time being, that if you're going to leave the computer on, just don't close the app, it should avoid bugs and bad surprises. It will at least spare you the boring "catching up" phase. By the way, I wonder how much time it took for you, since you've left the app not running for quite a while but your computer also seems faster?

Thanks a lot for the feedback again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im absolutely loving this project! I see you mentioned adding your own secret character, and I definitely think you should! Tbh I'd enjoy seeing a whole set of fan-tamas!
Thanks! I was just telling my wife about an idea I just had to create not a "Tamagotchi P2" but an actual "Tamagotchi Creator". It would be a program to which you provide a configuration file with rules and characteristics and draw your own custom sprites and it lets you play that specific Tamagotchi. And then the users could create their own presets and share them, e.g. someone would create their version of the P2, someone would create their own completely new tamagotchi etc. Obviously this would take a tremendous effort to program and I don't think I'm ever going to do it, but if someone wants to take my idea and implement it, go ahead!

I used the Tamagotchi Simulator 3's sound effect for evolutions (Change.wav). All other sound effects are my own work. I hope the author of Tamagotchi Simulator 3 doesn't mind. In any case, I plan on programming that sound effect as well eventually.
Tamagotchi Simulator 3 is Not Good,It only Simulates a P1 To Connection Tamagotchi.

And for Copyright,Tamagotchi is Copyrighted by Bandai,If you use it And share to Everybody Bandai will take down!

Tamagotchi Simulator 3 is Not Good,It only Simulates a P1 To Connection Tamagotchi.

And for Copyright,Tamagotchi is Copyrighted by Bandai,If you use it And share to Everybody Bandai will take down!
Really? I thought whoever made it did a pretty good job actually. And it has plugins for different versions as well. What I didn't like about it was that even though it said it had a real-time mode I couldn't find it anywhere and I think the window is too small for its own sake.

About the copyright thing, I thought so too, but so far only 2 persons have downloaded my buggy, incomplete app so I'm not worried. My idea of creating a "Tamagotchi Maker" stems from me thinking about copyright issues. I think if you create an app that has no mention whatsoever of anything tamagotchi related BUT you can use the app to recreatr whatever tamagotchi/virtual pet you want, Bandai has no business stopping THAT 3:) 

Really? I thought whoever made it did a pretty good job actually. And it has plugins for different versions as well. What I didn't like about it was that even though it said it had a real-time mode I couldn't find it anywhere and I think the window is too small for its own sake.

About the copyright thing, I thought so too, but so far only 2 persons have downloaded my buggy, incomplete app so I'm not worried. My idea of creating a "Tamagotchi Maker" stems from me thinking about copyright issues. I think if you create an app that has no mention whatsoever of anything tamagotchi related BUT you can use the app to recreate whatever tamagotchi/virtual pet you want, Bandai has no business stopping THAT 3:) 
You´re Right! But Bandai possibly can Take down the Project if it has Some Copyrighted Assets.

You´re Right! But Bandai possibly can Take down the Project if it has Some Copyrighted Assets.
As I envision it, the project would have no Tamagotchi assets at all, people would have to recreate them if they want to use them. Now if someone creates them and shares them to his/her pals, no one would be able to say anything I guess. Sorta like creating an emulator for a console is completely legal but sharing the roms is illegal. Speaking of emulators, this could be the closest thing we have to a tamagotchi emulator, which was the topic of my first ever post on this forum.

Sorta like creating an emulator for a console is completely legal but sharing the roms is illegal.
Sharing the roms Is Legal but only if you have the game,

As I envision it, the project would have no Tamagotchi assets at all, people would have to recreate them if they want to use them. Now if someone creates them and shares them to his/her pals, no one would be able to say anything I guess.
Ah Okay.

Speaking of emulators, this could be the closest thing we have to a tamagotchi emulator, which was the topic of my first ever post on this forum.
...We have something great to this!

So apparently it has nothing to do with my app, it's just something the MCR does

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/97106-why-do-i-receive-the-error-matlab-i18n-inconsistentlocale-the-system-locale-setting-language-1

On the above link you can also see that I can deactivate the message for the compiled program so I'll give this a try for the next build

Here's the second build of the app:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Tnx9Gc7V5srS09-wXH-XZNHgw4yb-iYn?usp=sharing

This time around I've separated the MCRInstaller from my app so that whoever already has the MCR doesn't have to download it again.

This build has all the P2 characters and I've tried to fix as many bugs as possible before uploading it. If all goes well you should have a functional clone of a P2 Tamagotchi that you can raise up to adulthood. The evolution rules are simplistic:

Child to teen:

0 to 2 care misses: Tonmarutchi will evolve into Tongaritchi

3 care misses or more: Tonmarutchi will evolve into Hashitamatchi

Teen to Adulthood:

0 care misses: Mimitchi

1 care miss: Pochitchi

2 care misses: Zuccitchi which will later evolve into Zatchi (if you keep it at 2 care misses)

3 care misses: Hashizotchi

4 care misses: Takotchi

5 care misses or more: Kusatchi

Discipline just doesn't influence evolutions for this version

(Note that these simplistic rules still account for the fact that Hashitamatchi cannot evolve into the good care trio, i.e. if you had 3 care misses as Tonmarutchi, you're necessarily going to end up with one of the 3 bad care characters.)

Also, the characters' sleeping/waking hours and their heart loss rates aren't accurate (in fact heart loss rates are the same for most adults). I couldn't find enough info to try and be faithful and decided this improvement should be left for the next build

For the next version I think the "Catching up" mechanic is going to become optional. As soon as you'll open the app it'll ask you whether you want to catch up or not and it will only catch up if you want it to. I've also started drawing my own secret character, but I'm wondering if I should even say anything about it.

Good day or night!

I've programmed the game so that Shirobabitchi evolves into Tomarutchi in 65 minutes and Tonmarutchi evolves into Hashitamatchi in 48h. So basically you get Hashitamatchi after 49h. So it's highly probable that during the catching up phase, your Shirobabitchi evolved, died (it doesn't take long for death to occur, just a few hours without food or games) and then STILL evolved (I haven't programmed it so that it doesn't update the Tamagotchi after it died) into Hashitamatchi and the bug happened and crashed the program.
So, a Tamagotchi Zombie briefly existed, but it missed Halloween. :p

Sharing the roms Is Legal but only if you have the game,
Not even then. People treat it that way as a moral concern, but it's not the letter of the law.

So I haven't been able to work on the project since Tuesday because of a quite busy schedule followed by fatigue but I was able to solve an annoying issue on the Android app. With this issue fixed the basis of my Android Tamagotchi app has been laid down so I can now start implement the same Tamagotchi mechanics that I used in Matlab de Hakken

Here's a screenshot of the app. This shirobabitchi is animated:

Screenshot-2020-11-13-16-17-34.png

Here's an apk of the app if you want to check it out for yourself

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yc-BHJS-NEzu43CAlOTuqrgGbb70TLLR/view?usp=sharing

Hi!

So I've been working on the Android project some more these last few days and made relatively rapid progress. The difficulties I have with android programming are related with putting everything in place when starting a new app, but once that's done I'm usually almost as fast as in Matlab.

I've added the logic for a menu and the "eating" animation. The Tamagotchi will eat 4 times and then say no. You can skip the animation. I don't have graphics for the food yet so the Tamagotchi's only pretending to eat. I haven't programmed it to lose hungry hearts yet.

The graphics are once again ripped off from the Tamagotchi Simulator 3 since they were more readily available than the ones I've been using for my Matlab app. I'll be using my own as soon as I get the chance to convert them from the tiny bmp files I manually drew on my PC to some larger PNG files which are more recommended for Android development I think.

Here's the link for the apk of the latest build:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EyJ3MlgUDKEo-apMhrn9vv7T3HyJng8I/view?usp=drivesdk

keep in mind this is only for the most curious of you guys, the app has very little utility so far.

Since I'm coding this on my phone and not on the laptop I should (paradoxically) be able to advance at a more steady pace because I can code just about anywhere and at any time. I hope development will go smoothly.

Just tried out the apk and it's really coming along nicely! Didn't realise how much I missed the status screen while it was gone.

Just some feedback, I'm still able to feed the tamagotchi while it's sick, and the sprites appear a little blurry. I think it might be due to the anti-aliasing?

Latest posts

Back