Mega Bootleg Log

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 41

Okay I know I said I wasn’t going to do an update, but something unexpected happened.

145-F7858-21-C5-4-A26-8298-37-DC0-D8-C4904.jpg

The pupa did not immediately turn into an adult, so apparently this game has 3 growth stages and not just 2 like I originally thought. I wonder when it will become an adult? If you want to see what the adult is supposed to look like, it’s in the first photo from the previous post.

Btw I forgot to mention that some characters have different reactions depending on their mood. For example, the alien looks angry when its happiness is empty.

Entry 42

The ladybug died at age 16, 4 days away from adulthood. It would have been 17 had I woken it up before it died. Tbf, the broken clock mechanic can make it hard when it decides to fall asleep early in the day. On my part, I forgot to reset the clock again after it sped all the way up to 9 PM when the real time was 10 AM... I was going to reset anyways, but with this we get to see the death screen.

BCF16-D98-EC4-D-447-B-BEAF-6-BCC63339853.gif

Not much of a death screen but more like the leaving screen from some of the later Tamagotchi Connection releases. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Entry 43

This one is kind of special so I have to break my new rule.

July 10, 2019

Grail get!!!! The first is a weird JiDan-like toy by TS that copies the V1, except obviously way worse. I think this might be one of the Tamaguchis linked in the Tamagotchi Warnings section. The only thing apparently different is that the memory game is actually just a “randomly press buttons as fast as possible” thing. The sound effects are also different and not really Tamagotchi-like. The closest similarity I can think of is Devilgotchi, and you know how those can be... There are also different meters that are not present on any Tamagotchi, like physical activity. Ironically, I have more questions after getting this than answers.

The next is a JiDan. Yay! It is basketball themed and the intro screen says it is V3... in a V4 styled shell... seems legit. Despite being a female baby, the eating sprite is always Bill. It also has less features than other JiDan toys, lacking the running minigame and the different options under Connect. Compared to others like the fake Yasashii, it doesn’t do much. You know that stereotype about Tamagotchis always demanding attention every few seconds? Well, this one gets very close to making that a reality. I can’t recall how many times even on day 1 that this thing would need two things in a 2 minute timespan AFTER the baby stage. If there’s one good thing I can say outside owning one of the rarest fake Tamagotchis, is that I’ve noticed how similar it is to the “bunny ROM” in those Jia Yuans. Could this mean JiDan is still in business making things under a different name, or that people from JD went on to work at other companies? 

Also, change of plans for the pen. One of the others that came in this lot has similar characters, so I swapped the batteries. It is similar programming to this rare prototype from one of Erica Griffin’s videos.

Sorry, I don’t know what is wrong with IG. The post is public tho

Entry 46

Last night the TS turned into Ichigotchi. It’s getting to the point where the TS will get sick even if all it is missing is one bowl (not heart) on the Health and Happiness meter. 

A002-B05-F-3-EA0-4-EE5-A358-DA9855-F7-DDD1.jpg

I need help with this, so if anyone has one and knows how it works or has an instruction guide, please help! I especially need help with what time it goes to sleep. Here’s something funny I forgot to show. Instead of the Happy meter, it’s the... wait for it...

6-CD25075-EEEF-44-AB-96-B9-11-BA2719-C1-A8.jpg

SCOK METER

Entry 47

Not much in terms of fake Tamagotchi happenings. Both should turn into adults tomorrow, assuming that they grow at the same rate as real Tamagotchis. With all the vast differences in functionality/quality, I’m not holding my breath. In the lot there was also an original puppy QPet. While neither a knockoff nor bootleg, its successor the QPet Quolor earns it a brief mention here. It is surprisingly easy and fun... at least, compared to the two others I’m currently dealing with.

76-F7-E98-C-AAC3-44-C4-B2-F3-7-D0-D79-F7-BA32.gif

90-E22-F10-112-C-460-A-9-CA9-8-FD6721540-DD.jpg

Entry 48

4:36 PM- To my amazement, both fake Tamagotchis survived being left alone for hours. When I got home, the TS had become Kuchipatchi! She (yeah) eats mushrooms as the meal and dango as the snack. Does anyone know if the original JP and US V1s can connect? If not, that might explain why it still can’t connect to the official one I’ve been also running. After this is over I’ll downsize and run the Touma Pet again. These two are definitely just collectors’ items. I don’t recommend them unless you also like collecting bootlegs.

7-A48341-F-21-C9-4-D78-9-B90-639-B5-F2-D41-B6.gif

I just realized that the JD might already be an adult. It’s been 2 days and it still hasn’t grown. Oh well, one more day and we’ll see. 

Entry 49

Come to think of it, doesn't Kuchipatchi's sick sprite in that gif look like it has three legs?

Anyways, I totally gave up this time. I can only be voluntarily annoyed by a toy so muchUnlike the time I gave up on the Crystal Warriors, these are actual vpets, not an RPG styled like one. Technically I also gave up on the Scholastic V-Pet mentioned earlier, but what can I say? If it won't even go to bed at midnight, I can't deal with that. The TS might have been better if I could change the clock to the normal time, but no. Even the $2 pen let me do that, and that one is a junkie Gyaoppi clone. I'm taking a break from bootlegs for a little bit. When we return, I'll go back to the Touma Pet. It will be a while before I even consider getting the new QPet, mostly because I want to see if anything actually new comes out following the Tamagotchi On's release. With bootlegs, you never know when a new one will pop up. Heck, I recently found a new version of the A-Watch/Handwarmer. Anything is possible.

P.S. I've been running the two official versions that the bootlegs copy, which are V1 and V3, and the difference in quality is ridiculous. At least the QPet Quolor for the most part copied the source material accurately, even if a bunch of things were removed. *sigh* On the plus size, both are rare additions to my bootleg collection.

Entry 50!

Now that I’m back, it’s time for more Touma Pet. Tonight it randomly grew into this elf-like character.

3-B7-E2876-35-D6-49-E2-B3-E6-CB8789-F14-AB5.jpg

It will be old enough to marry at 9 PM tomorrow, but I’ll have to wait until the following morning because I don’t feel like waiting until 10 PM or later for the next one to age. Also, there is a (really lazy) size comparison between a real 20th Anniversary Digimon and the Crystal Warrior.

2-A3162-F2-5-B12-44-CE-BE9-B-EB1-E62-FAA1-D4.jpg

I must say, the real version is way more fun. The only downside is how inconsistent the release date is/was. 

Entry 51

The Touma got married today, and I got a girl.

235-B5182-E494-49-EB-866-C-5-E61-D90-DC2-B7.jpg

Who will it end up being? Well, that will be discovered in a few days. This might get pretty slow, so let me know if/when I should switch considering I’ve already shown it here before. I have one more fake which is a Nano Puppy clone. I didn’t really enjoy it the 10 minutes I tried it, but if anyone’s interested I’d be at least willing to run it for a little bit to show how it works.

I have one more fake which is a Nano Puppy clone. I didn’t really enjoy it the 10 minutes I tried it, but if anyone’s interested I’d be at least willing to run it for a little bit to show how it works.
I'd certainly be interested, if it's not any hassle! Reason being, after getting an original Tamagotchi back in the day, my first non-Bandai virtual pet was a Nano Puppy. :p

Another adult. 

67-ECC48-B-1-C4-E-44-C3-AB05-40-E0095496-DA.jpg

This one is really Animal Cross-ish. In fact, one of the villagers from the series, Bunnie, appears in the “Receive Fruit” game.

C52-DF529-380-D-4628-BEE7-A40-C0009-F415.jpg

Entry 53

Things are going kind of slow with the Touma Pet. I'm now on my 7th gen. and it's a girl. I want to get the granny character which will take a while. In other news, I actually did end up receiving a Tamaguchi. It's another JiDan V3 just like the blue Honeylover, but with slight differences including different item codes and running at a slower rate. Even though it's not what I expected, the Tamaguchi is still interesting to try out. I'll go more in-depth tomorrow with photos and a list of gameplay notes. So far, both are boys and are what appear to be Kinakomotchi with legs...

Got a little busy, but I’m back. I’m currently on the last gen for the Touma Pet. Here's a pic from one of the previous gens:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MdS2nlLvF/

Originally I was under the impression the Tamaguchis were by TS because that company would label the buttons. While that's not the case, there's always the possibility that TS could have used JD's V3 programming just like all the companies that use their Bunny ROM. If you're looking for fake Tamagotchi Connections of your very own, there is currently an auction on eBay for 3 NIB TS Tamagotchis which are a later/better version of the one we previously looked at. Looking for TS Tamagotchis there also bring up more fakes featuring the older Bunny ROM, which is a Gyaoppi clone.

s-l1600.jpg

If you see any new color screen ones, please share. Other than the ones we've seen already, I have one more fake and then that will be it until M&D comes out with something new. Well, thanks for reading again. For more pics and general vpet images, there;s links to my IG above.

Well, that makes for two 100% completed bootleg Tamagotchis. The Touma Pet was pretty fun, albeit just an improved version of the QPet Quolor. While I would like for M&D to try something different with their next color pet besides the stale TMGC+C formula, this is a good next step. For their next one, something feature-rich like the Tamagezi would be nice, but I doubt M&D will get that experimental. Additionally, I'd like to see Bandai learn from this and include USB charging in future Tamagotchis, as it would not only slim down the devices and reduce batteries needed. Now that the QPet has been redone with these same technical enhancements, I'd say it all comes down to personal preference for the characters when it comes to choosing between both games.

Thanks for being patient during the Touma Pet run. Like always, it gets hard trying to cover the same vpet over and over again for 9 generations, but you know :p  Next up is the Nano Puppy clone. I'll try to get the entry for that ready either tomorrow or Monday. In the meantime, take care.

The Pet Vet ended up not working due to some sort of malfunction with the battery compartment. In the meantime, let's have a look at the 32-in-1 Virtal Pets. This one shares the same shell of two other generic vpets, one being the original bunny ROM (possibly by JD) and the Smart Baby & Pets clone. Fittingly, the majority of the characters on it are modified sprites from both. Here's a few:

ERQZ6074.gif

Some of these characters are also from the Scholastic V-Pets, which is no surprise as it plays similarly. Here's another version of the Scholastic pet I found a while, btw:

IMG-2810.jpg

I ended up picking the T-Rex because 1) it is original 2) how could I not? Just look at it!

IMG-2885.jpg

Unfortunately I only have a few days to run this and I think it takes a week for it to mature, so we won't get to see a full runthrough until later....... 
This is yet another Gyaoppi clone, and it even uses the same care icons as the pen game. Unlike that pet, you can select the game icon while it's a baby. All it does is show a little workout animation, so there's no actual minigame. There WAS a guide for this exact vpet on YT, but now I can't find it. I'll take a guess and say that if this does have a minigame, then it's unlocked later. Virtual Pets is surprisingly low on maintenance compared to, say, the original Tamagotchi. After getting both meters full, I haven't had to care for it much. My only complaint is the control scheme. Just like the Pet Vet, it is extremely weird compared to a Tamagotchi. However, this time it has an excuse since the icons are set up more like a Dinkie pet. Speaking of Dinkie pets, I recall the original release of this being in a Dinkie Dino shell:

Sorry for the huge video thumbnail. 

8:47 PM- Fortunately, this vpet goes to bed at 9 PM. It's nice to see the devs make it a reasonable hour for once. There's a catch though, as the time runs faster than normal and can't be changed. Depending on how things go these next few days, I might actually manage a full run. We shall see... This will probably be another slow section. As we've seen so far, bootleg and knockoff virtual pets tend to be very light on content. Well, you get what you pay for...

8/28- At 8 AM I woke up to the surprise that my vpet had grown. 

F62383-EA-054-D-4350-89-D9-B005-AEF8-E912.gif

I don’t know how many there are, but my personal bet is on 3. It turns out I was wrong about this having a minigame, which is a bummer because even the awful JD bunny rom version has a few. I actually have one of those as well, but it’s in pieces. 

8/29- Nothing much. I anticipate on it being a few days before the little dino turns into a T-Rex.

8/28- At 8 AM I woke up to the surprise that my vpet had grown. 
I'm really interested in seeing if you can manage a complete run with this one. The two that I have that use this software have the clock running so fast that it quickly becomes problematic and they die very easily. That's annoying, as they seem to be fun enough aside from that issue.

Got busy for the 1,000,000th time, but I'm back. Curious about how the Virtual Pets went during my two attempts? Well, have a look:

AE5FB5A6-C97B-488C-9295-A7A7F6CA5CD0.gif

Well, @Penguin-keeper, looks like I couldn't manage a complete run. I couldn't even get past day 2! Mine has the same problem as well, though I never considered the fast clock impacting gameplay this much. Maybe that's because all the others I've ran with the same problem can either have their clocks fixed (as in, changing it to the normal time) or don't require that much care anyways? Well, in much better news, look at what I got to work :)  :

358C9DED-445C-416B-A95E-8FD729E26FDD.jpg

That's right. This time it actually turned on instead of frying the batteries. And you know what? It's actually pretty easy so far. What a relief. It's been a few hours since I started it, and already I can say that this is a pretty decent retro vpet. The 3 health meters are really big and the game starts them nearly full. After getting each filled, they deplete one segment every hour. The Pet Vet is definitely a Nano clone. Everything from the graphics to the sounds is similar. It also contains a startup animation (apologies for the poor camerawork):

DE886405-BC6-B-4-D8-F-9-A80-A78098-B51-E18.gif

I'm still getting accustomed to the DCBA control scheme, but all is well besides that. Not much else to say today. I don't anticipate on it growing until at least tomorrow. I did manage to find instructions, but unfortunately it includes everything except a growth chart. Since it's a Nano clone, it's safe to guess that it will age similarly. As a plus, I will also get to do a full run of this instead of only a day or two. And yes, I do classify clones and knockoffs like Pet Vet to fall in the same category as bootlegs since they heavily copy pre-existing material. (Plus, I'm out of new bootlegs for now  ;) )

All right, day two of the Pet Vet! When I turned on its lights this morning, I noticed that my puppy had grown.

333B9577-BCBB-4BBC-BDF7-1C018FA6ED23.gif

There doesn't seem to be an actual bedtime for this thing, so I just turned the lights off at 10 PM. During that time, its stats will still deplete and it will go poo. Luckily, this is a really easy vpet, so it didn't take long to fill each one from a little more than half full. If anyone knows what the actual bedtime is, please help. The instructions say that the puppy will lie down when it's bedtime, but that's not true.

One thing that makes the Pet Vet stand out is how regardless of whether you win or lose the minigame, it will always raise happiness. Winning makes the bar fill much faster, whereas losing only fills 1 segment of it. Hey, I'm not complaining :D Trying to win the guessing game is really annoying, especially on games like the Chuppi Gyaoppi where you can't use snacks for happiness. Another thing that's different but not necessarily game-changing is that any "mess" it makes is not displayed on-screen until you use the bathtub icon. These are two more things the instructions are completely wrong about, and it's like they were written for a different game. 

This game is very forgiving (especially when compared to the last one). I left it alone for about 3 hours today, and it only left a very small dent in each meter. Since then, I haven't had to care for it yet. I'll wait until 10 PM again to put it to bed again, and that will make another day completed. If anyone has any questions about this game, please leave one and I'll respodn to it in the following entry. Thanks again for reading. Hopefully I can keep this run going smoother now ^_^"

One thing that makes the Pet Vet stand out is how regardless of whether you win or lose the minigame, it will always raise happiness. Winning makes the bar fill much faster, whereas losing only fills 1 segment of it. Hey, I'm not complaining :D Trying to win the guessing game is really annoying, especially on games like the Chuppi Gyaoppi where you can't use snacks for happiness.
This seems to be a thing on the MGA pets, too - I noticed it on my MGA Penguin when I first ran it. It's very, very welcome with the luck-based left/right game, as it makes filling the meter so much more convenient. :p

Latest posts

Back