Mini Group Hatch July 1st

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YOU GUYS. My mini has arrived! Ah! It's so cute and tiny! I'm gonna head over to the got-mail thread to post photos! Waiting to pull the tab until the day of the group hatch. I have extra batteries if needed, but since it's a 2018 Tama and I've had Tamas work on their '90s batteries, I'm pretty sure it'll work fine!

I can't wait to see a little babytchi bouncing around on the little screen!

Yes Thats exactly what I did lol! I thought Nano was just Japanese minis. But your right the nano have games so def not the same thing. (Is the chibi the mini?)
Looks like I'll have to stalk ebay for a bit and see if I find something.
Yup, the chibi is the mini! (´∩。• ᵕ •。∩`)

@Penguin-keeper awww, well you'll definitely have to take part in the next one! I'm thinking of hosting a themed group hatch about every other month. ˖꒰ᵕ༚ᵕ⑅꒱

@KrisKris ahhhh that's awesome!!!! I've had to resist starting mine up as well.
That said, I would deffo test it, make sure the screen, sound, and buttons work. A lot of sites only give you a few days to a week after receiving an item to open a claim or request for a refund if it's not as described. That said, you honestly don't need to go further than the clock screen, everything is able to be verified in there, and I definitely do that with pets I'm buying to run later or buying as gifts.

Last edited:
@KrisKris ahhhh that's awesome!!!! I've had to resist starting mine up as well.
That said, I would deffo test it, make sure the screen, sound, and buttons work. A lot of sites only give you a few days to a week after receiving an item to open a claim or request for a refund if it's not as described. That said, you honestly don't need to go further than the clock screen, everything is able to be verified in there, and I definitely do that with pets I'm buying to run later or buying as gifts.
🤔From what I've been able to tell, most sellers who are selling virtual pets in sealed packages don't care if it works or not. They're selling it as-is: an unopened, untested toy. Some listings specify no refunds for this reason, and some don't specify that, but I figured it generally applies when purchasing sealed items. (Is that contrary to your experience?) I've never had one not work, so I haven't had to deal with that. I have bought one from a seller that said in the description they would refund or replace it if it didn't work upon opening, but I think that's kind of unusual. Normally, like this time, I don't think I'd really have any basis for a refund when the description didn't claim it works (since it was unopened/untested by seller).

So I think the only reason I would start it up ahead of time would be to ensure I'm ready for the group hatch in case it doesn't work, but honestly, I don't think I'm going to scramble to get another mini before July 1st if this one doesn't -- and considering this Tama isn't very old (2018) and all unopened Tamas/virtual pets I've gotten so far even from the '90s have worked, I would be pretty surprised if this one didn't! Hopefully it will!

Editing to add: I went ahead and pulled the tab anyway. Yep, started fine! :) I'm sad now, though, that I didn't save that for hatch day! Lol

How long do the batteries in the re-release minis usually last? Someone had mentioned the battery life in the anniversary minis isn't so good.

Last edited:
As ebay's return window policy is really short(last time I looked, you have to make a claim within a week of it arriving if something is wrong with the order) I still think it was for the best that you checked in on it. Even if you weren't to scramble to find a replacement, it would mean you'd have been able to get your money back(assuming you did buy it through eBay or with PayPal). Ngl, I'd rather you be a lil sad than out of pocket, especially with how prices of things are skyrocketing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for the anniversary batteries, I don't remember exactly how long they last. I know different batteries vary wildly. But I also know that the last time I ran my OG nano, the batteries kept it going for MONTHS. If memory serves, it was around 6 months going strong before I pulled the battery.
It's been YEARS since I've offed a battery in my anniversary nano(before my work moved to a new building- I remember because it was making the horrid battery dying sounds at the break table) and I wanna say it was 1-2 months?

Edit: it looks like I was thinking of Poshmark's return policy(I used to sell on there), which appears to have shortened even more after I stopped selling there. Ebay's is significantly longer, which is quite surprising, but hey. That said, I'm really sorry I pushed the reccomendation to test the device.

Last edited:
You can definitely return ebay stuff if it doesn’t work or was not as described. The only time ebay gives the seller a choice to not accept returns is if the buyer just changed their mind and no longer wants the item. I have made a couple returns on ebay for defective vpets. Usually it is easy, but if the seller doesn’t respond ebay will step in and resolve it.

Your mini is not old. It probably works but would be best to test it :wub:

I find it interesting the batteries in the OG last a lot longer since the screen is so dark.

That said, I'm really sorry I pushed the reccomendation to test the device.
No worries -- I'm the one who decided to go ahead and do it! And yeah, I make sure to pay attention to stuff like refund windows!

I was initially testing every virtual pet I received immediately upon arrival and before leaving feedback, but I've gotten kind of a lot of pets in lately (more than what I'd posted in the collection or got-mail thread, lol) and some of my new-in-package ones had stated in the listing that they were being sold in unknown working condition due to being untested/unopened with no refunds if it wouldn't work, so that's why there have been a couple of factory-sealed ones I got that I waited a little before activating rather than testing them immediately. If the packages came sealed and the pets had their original pull tabs, I thought that met the product description. If they're ones that are already opened and the seller claimed in the description that they do work, I absolutely test them right away since that would be an obvious refund if it doesn't work! Either way, my general preference is to test items when I get them, but there's just been a couple of new-in-package virtual pets that all I did immediately upon arrival was check that it was properly sealed and with original pull tab.

You can definitely return ebay stuff if it doesn’t work or was not as described. The only time ebay gives the seller a choice to not accept returns is if the buyer just changed their mind and no longer wants the item. I have made a couple returns on ebay for defective vpets. Usually it is easy, but if the seller doesn’t respond ebay will step in and resolve it.
Were those returned ones unopened/new-in-package when you got them? If so, that's good to know, because that indicates that more sellers may return non-working ones bought NIB than I thought. But I'm a little surprised if you guys haven't seen the types of listings I'm talking about where sellers state it's an unopened item and therefore untested and being sold in unknown working condition! I had thought I'd remembered eBay's rules sounding like they only force returns if the item doesn't match the description, so if an item (especially for older items) doesn't state it is in working condition, I felt unsure a refund could be forced. I've never had to request a refund as I've not yet gotten a non-working one.
Your mini is not old. It probably works but would be best to test it :wub:
I went ahead and did! See the end of my previous post :) It is all set to go for the hatch!

The ones I returned were not new and didn’t match the description. I’d have to agree the NIB would be a risk the buyer takes.

I have returned one tamagotchi that didn’t match the photos or description. It was missing a screw that was pictured and it also didn’t work properly when the listing said it did work. That was a no brainer return.

I also returned one gigapets that the listing only described as ‘used’ it didn’t say untested or if it did or didn’t work. When I got it, it didn’t function right. The listing said no returns, but I requested a return anyway and they accepted. So just because a seller says no returns doesn’t mean you can’t. At least not on ebay.

Oh I missed that you did test. Don’t be sad! By the way, love that green shell!

Last edited:
I don't know if my mini is 20th anniversary or not as I bought it used without packaging, but I guess we'll find out!

Oooh, I wonder what exactly got busted, I might know how to fix it; feel free to share pics!

I wanted one of the flocked ones sooooo bad but never found one locally. Then I learned how nasty they had a tendency to get and PHEW, I dodged that hassle. How's it look post-flocking removal?

@Maskutchi ooooh I'd LOVE a glow version! Now I'm tempted to send mine off to be sacrificed to one of the resin gods. And LOL, got your namesake!
:biggrin:
Sorry for taking a while to respond! The issue with my tama is a busted wire, which I can solve by soldering, but I haven't unpacked it after moving yet.

I'll try to post a pic of it post flocking removal. I was able to to it by rubbing alcohol on it, letting it sit, and then scraping off the fur. I found mine on amazon for only like 8 bucks. It's the red version with the white buttons.

Sorry for taking a while to respond! The issue with my tama is a busted wire, which I can solve by soldering, but I haven't unpacked it after moving yet.

I'll try to post a pic of it post flocking removal. I was able to to it by rubbing alcohol on it, letting it sit, and then scraping off the fur. I found mine on amazon for only like 8 bucks. It's the red version with the white buttons.
Ohhh ok! Yeah, I have a few tamas with busted wires. No sound as a result. :lol:

I'm in the process of custom painting a few of my digivices! Just oodles of sanding, spray paint and a car-type top-coat. I'm scared to do the top coat tho- once I use this can it'll be no good after two days or so, so I'm trying to find what else I can use it on.:ROFLMAO: If it works well, I'll be sure to recommend it! That way it has new life!

Alternatively, you can re-flock it! There's guides on YT and it actually doesn't look difficult.

Ohhh ok! Yeah, I have a few tamas with busted wires. No sound as a result. :lol:

I'm in the process of custom painting a few of my digivices! Just oodles of sanding, spray paint and a car-type top-coat. I'm scared to do the top coat tho- once I use this can it'll be no good after two days or so, so I'm trying to find what else I can use it on.:ROFLMAO: If it works well, I'll be sure to recommend it! That way it has new life!

Alternatively, you can re-flock it! There's guides on YT and it actually doesn't look difficult.
Cool! Didn't know re-flocking was possible, but now it's an option if I change my mind (again)

Latest posts

Back