R2-D2 Tamagotchi

Help Support TamaTalk:

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Surprised no one has posted about this here yet, so I figured I'd do the honors.

In honor of Star Wars day, Bandai has announced an upcoming Tamagotchi virtual pet themed after R2-D2, and its releasing in both Japan & the west!

This is a HUGE deal because according to Wikipedia's list of highest-grossing media franchises, particularly the section of franchises worth over $50 billion, Star Wars is #5. This means that Tamagotchi has now crossed paths with all but one of those top 5 franchises. With the numerous Sanrio crossovers involving Hello Kitty, the Mickey Mouse-themed Tama Deco Pierce, the Eevee Tamagotchi from early 2019, and now this, the only one missing is Winnie the Pooh. I can't think of any other franchise that has gotten that close to making such an extraordinary achievement!

While I can definitely see Bandai Japan releasing a Star Wars-themed Tamagotchi with minimal legal difficulty, I am curious on how Bandai America was immediately able to follow suit in localization when its biggest international competitor, Hasbro, has the Star Wars master toy license. One year they release the Wonder Garden On instead of localizing the Fantasy Meets to avoid a conflict-of-interest with Hasbro's Disney Princess toy license (which includes Cinderella & Aladdin), and the next they're releasing a Tamagotchi directly themed after Star Wars. It's still a grand achievement, but it's kinda confusing to me.

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
Surprised no one has posted about this here yet, so I figured I'd do the honors.

In honor of Star Wars day, Bandai has announced an upcoming Tamagotchi virtual pet themed after R2-D2, and its releasing in both Japan & the west!
OOH! Thanks for posting this! :D This is both really neat, and also interesting from a historical perspective, because it's yet another license that previously had a virtual pet from a competing line* which has now ended up with a licensed Tamagotchi.

*There was a Giga Pets R2-D2 back in the 1990s. Additionally there were also Pokemon and Hello Kitty virtual pets from Nintendo (the latter being interesting on its own because Bandai also produced a different Hello Kitty virtual pet back in the day, too, so there wasn't exclusivity on that), just to provide examples of the others that sprang to mind.

I'm not sure if this one will be for me, though - my favourite droid is C3PO! :lol:

While I can definitely see Bandai Japan releasing a Star Wars-themed Tamagotchi with minimal legal difficulty, I am curious on how Bandai America was immediately able to follow suit in localization when its biggest international competitor, Hasbro, has the Star Wars master toy license. One year they release the Wonder Garden On instead of localizing the Fantasy Meets to avoid a conflict-of-interest with Hasbro's Disney Princess toy license (which includes Cinderella & Aladdin), and the next they're releasing a Tamagotchi directly themed after Star Wars. It's still a grand achievement, but it's kinda confusing to me.
There's nothing to be confused about here - Disney doesn't own public-domain stories and the Fantasy Meets was not a Disney-based product, so there was never any conflict of interest. Copyright law doesn't protect ideas, but rather it protects the unique individual expressions of them (barring scenes-a-faire, which are not protected by copyright because they're basically a type of trope); This is also why Disney officially refers to their own versions as "Disney's [Title]" or "Disney [Title]". The Wonder Garden more likely existed as it was because there may have been a plan at some point to split the Fantasy Meets into two Western releases - the Wonder Garden, with half of the Fantasy's content, came along after a Bandai survey revealed that most Tamagotchi On buyers were willing to buy multiple devices, which is what suggests this possibility. We know now that they opted for a refresh with the Tamagotchi Pix instead, though.

Moreover, a company having the master toy license doesn't rule out other companies from also getting toy licenses for the same properties - they just won't be the master/primary licensee, so they'll be licensed to make a narrower range of products (in this case, just one toy-category). :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tamastar133

Reaction score
Lol on instagram I saw someone say "this better not be another nano," but you juSt know it IS going to be a nano. Anyway Bandai JP also announcing it is pretty cool, it never occured to me that SW has a japanese fanbase. Personally I am not a fan of Star Wars, but it's still a cool crossover. The possibilities for these crossovers are endless, makes you look forward to these surprise announcements.  

purple pyonkotchi

Reaction score
Personally I'm uninterested in the nanos (mostly bc I dont care much for the franchises they're crossing over to, and the simplicity of the device. just personal taste really) but I'm pretty interested in tamagotchi having a crossover with a franchise as big as star wars

This is a HUGE deal because according to Wikipedia's list of highest-grossing media franchises, particularly the section of franchises worth over $50 billion, Star Wars is #5. This means that Tamagotchi has now crossed paths with all but one of those top 5 franchises. With the numerous Sanrio crossovers involving Hello Kitty, the Mickey Mouse-themed Tama Deco Pierce, the Eevee Tamagotchi from early 2019, and now this, the only one missing is Winnie the Pooh. I can't think of any other franchise that has gotten that close to making such an extraordinary achievement!
^^^ I'm with you there, I'm genuinely surprised at how tamagotchi is able to keep pulling this off. crossover city babyyyy

Klonoa13

Reaction score
Personally I'm uninterested in the nanos (mostly bc I dont care much for the franchises they're crossing over to, and the simplicity of the device. just personal taste really) but I'm pretty interested in tamagotchi having a crossover with a franchise as big as star wars

^^^ I'm with you there, I'm genuinely surprised at how tamagotchi is able to keep pulling this off. crossover city babyyyy
I'm just saying...can we get a Sonic the Hedgehog x Tamagotchi crossover next?  *pushes fingers together* .3.

purple pyonkotchi

Reaction score
I'm just saying...can we get a Sonic the Hedgehog x Tamagotchi crossover next?  *pushes fingers together* .3.
i feel ya, as much as i dont care for the nanos, i feel like i'd be more likely to like them if they did crossovers with any franchise i enjoyed or was at leats more familiar with. i know that if they ever reboot the doraemon tamagotchi as a nano, then im definitely gonna try to get one LMAO

speaking of which, I don't know if it's been talked about or not but they recently announced a BTS tamagotchi nano crossover... i don't really care for kpop so I'm uninterested, but it kinda shows that tamagotchi/bandai is really shooting for big franchises (does bts count as a franchise??? idk) 

Klonoa13

Reaction score
i feel ya, as much as i dont care for the nanos, i feel like i'd be more likely to like them if they did crossovers with any franchise i enjoyed or was at leats more familiar with. i know that if they ever reboot the doraemon tamagotchi as a nano, then im definitely gonna try to get one LMAO

speaking of which, I don't know if it's been talked about or not but they recently announced a BTS tamagotchi nano crossover... i don't really care for kpop so I'm uninterested, but it kinda shows that tamagotchi/bandai is really shooting for big franchises (does bts count as a franchise??? idk) 
Honestly I'd be more interested in the type of crossover where Sonic and the Gang would actually interact with the tamagotchi characters. XD (Although having tamagotchi versions of the sonic cast would be cool too-)

Timogotchi19

Reaction score
Honestly I'd be more interested in the type of crossover where Sonic and the Gang would actually interact with the tamagotchi characters. XD (Although having tamagotchi versions of the sonic cast would be cool too-)
Either way, I was predicting a Sonic Tamagotchi for a June release to coincide with Sonic's 30th Anniversary, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ah well. Bandai's got another chance to talk with Sega about making a Sonic Tamagotchi next year when either the 2nd Sonic movie (which my only wish for that is for "SnooPING AS usual, I see" to be one of Jim Carrey's lines) or the 2022 game releases.

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
The R2-D2 Tamagotchi is now up for pre-order in the UK from Just Geek, for £19.99, and is currently listed with a tentative release-window of December 2021.

Curiously, it's listed as "Official Star Wars Tamagotchi - R2-D2", though I don't know whether the supplier provided them with this information or whether it was self-written. If it was provided by the supplier, it almost makes it sound like other Star Wars Tamagotchis could happen - although I have no idea whether or not this is actually the intent. (If it's true, I'd certainly love to see a C-3PO one, as I said before :p .)

This listing also gives us the first look (that I'm aware of) at what appears to be the device's official description;

"This is the droid you've been looking for! Arriving from a galaxy far, far away to join you on your next adventure is the iconic Star Wars astromech droid R2-D2 in Tamagotchi form! Ensure he is charged up, clean and happy to develop his skills as well as unlocking new mini games. For any lover of Star Wars and the 90s, this is the perfect way to have fun and soak up some nostalgia.

Officially licensed Star Wars product.

Take care of R2-D2 by keeping him charged and clean and by playing two mini-games (firefighting and Dejarik “holochess”)

There are 19 skills for R2-D2 to learn and 7 mini-games for him to unlock, depending on his skill level

Make sure you keep your R2-D2 happy. If you neglect him for too long, the Jawas may take him away!

Batteries (2xLR44) included.

Ages 8+"

This sounds quite feature-packed for a license-based Nano! It also sounds like there are a lot of good references in there for fans, too.

The listing also has plenty of photographs, so be sure to check the link above to see all of them. For now, I'll simply re-post the pack-shot here;

n31V1TG.jpg

Eozeda

Reaction score
7 mini games definitely caught my attention!! I would love to get this for my friend whos a total Star Wars nut for Christmas, but I have no idea if she ever had a Tamagotchi before. I'll just have to use one of my Tamas as prop to ask that question.  :gozarutchi:

Penguin-keeper

TamaTalk Guides
Staff member
Reaction score
UK retailer Toy Street is now listing the R2-D2 Tamagotchi, at a price of £18.99: https://www.toystreet.co.uk/shop/collectables-2/star-wars-r2-d2-tamagotchi-blue/

Though the page mentions a pre-order price promise I couldn't see a way to actually place a pre-order. However, they do offer a facility to sign up to receive an e-mail alert when the item is in-stock.

EDIT: UK retailer The Entertainer is also now listing the R2-D2 Tamagotchi. Their price is £20, with a release-date of November 30th. Most interestingly, their listings reveal that the R2-D2 Tamagotchi comes in two colours, with the other one seemingly being a translucent blue with white R2-D2 design screen-printing.

https://www.thetoyshop.com/collectibles/electronic-collectibles/Tamagotchi-Original%3A-Star-Wars--R2D2-(White)/p/554746

https://www.thetoyshop.com/collectibles/Tamagotchi-Original%3A-Star-Wars---R2D2-(Blue)/p/554747