Resurrecting a dinkie dino

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThrowawayTama

Reaction score
Cheers!

A friend of mine got her hands on a Dinkie Dino. She did a clean up procedure and got some new batteries, and the device does start up but freezes in this screen:
IMG_20220416_183302635.jpg

Note that none of the time "places" are blinking and the device does not react to any button presses on the front nor the reset button on the back.

Here's the device from behind:

IMG_20220416_183309505.jpg

Like I said, the internals have been cleaned and there apparently wasn't any gunk to be seen on the inside. Any pointers on how to get this bad boy to work again?

Hi, I'm no expert on the subject but if from what you say all the components seem to be OK, maybe there is a bad contact with the battery, could it be that? Regards

Some extra information: Apparently there was information floating about that the type of battery would make a difference. We've thus far attempted with alkaline and silver oxide batteries and neither of them has fixed the issue.

Hi, I'm no expert on the subject but if from what you say all the components seem to be OK, maybe there is a bad contact with the battery, could it be that? Regards
it is my understanding that the connections are solid. She apparently manipulated the contacts physically for better grip as they were a bit loose to begin with

I'm sorry, in that case I don't think I can help you. I told you about the battery because many years ago something similar happened to me with a Tamagotchi and the problem was because the battery didn't make a good contact. So I took a very thin plastic, I cut it, I folded it in half and finally I put it between the battery and the back cover.

That solved the problem I had but in this particular case it doesn't seem to be the solution. Let's see if someone here knows more about it and can help you!

Don’t give up 😊

I'm sorry, in that case I don't think I can help you. I told you about the battery because many years ago something similar happened to me with a Tamagotchi and the problem was because the battery didn't make a good contact. So I took a very thin plastic, I cut it, I folded it in half and finally I put it between the battery and the back cover.

That solved the problem I had but in this particular case it doesn't seem to be the solution. Let's see if someone here knows more about it and can help you!

Don’t give up 😊
No need to be sorry, you made an effort and we both thank you :) Hopefully something will still come of this.

An update: IT LIVES!!

Turns out we misremembered: The clock did NOT indeed have to go blinkety blink on fresh boot. Turns out the unresponsive buttons were caused by the simple fact that their connection was shoddy. A bit of graphite in there and it works like a charm.

Well, "like a charm" is relative. Our little dino is now mute, owing to the old speaker wires being cut by age. Honestly, we're not sure if it's a bad thing at all :D

Great! I'm glad to read that!
In many cases the simplest solutions are the most effective solutions!

Regarding the sound: here in some watch shops (the ones that repair watches) they can solve this kind of problems as they have the necessary equipment to work with small equipment.

You can also go to a computer shop that repairs computers, although the labour will probably be more expensive.

I imagine that cutting the cable a bit and making a new connection with tin in the speaker would be enough.

Whatever it is, if it's alive, we're all happy!! enjoy your new pet 🥳

Congrats! Dinkie Dino became very popular here too despite not being from Bandai. I never had one!

By the way, just out of curiosity. From the following chart what evolution is it in?

35446730-6209-44F1-B123-98C3F2345163.jpeg

Latest posts

Back