Returning virtual pet fans: Do you have any policies about rebuilding your collection?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin-keeper

Reaction score
What are the personal collecting policies of other folks who've returned to the hobby after a long absence? I've been wondering about this lately because my virtual pets collection, which I restarted with the release of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini, is about to hit a point where it goes far beyond what my original 1990s collection was like.

For me, my policy has been to not try to recreate my original collection. This is partly because it's possibly still in storage and if so I would like to retrieve those units at some point, but it's also because I want my original and present-day virtual pet experiences to be their own unique things. This approach came about due to having initially tried to get a 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini with a similar shell-design to my original back-in-the-day Tamagotchi, but ultimately being unable to do so, at which point I felt that it was a good idea to let my new collection be entirely its own thing - after all, it clearly wanted to be! :lol:

Though I have and want certain virtual pet families to be represented, I don't buy identical pets to my originals - so, for example, though I have a 1996/1997 Gen 1 Tamagotchi, it doesn't have the same shell as the one that I bought back in 1997, and though I originally had a Nano Puppy, I'm currently waiting for the arrival of a Nano-clone monkey in order to represent the Nano Pals line in my modern-day collection, instead.

Also, even though my focus is largely on the simpler monochrome devices (vintage and modern), because those are what I enjoy running the most, I don't restrict myself to that alone, because I'm not trying to recreate the old days.

Do any other returning fans have any specific policies about how they're rebuilding and reviving their collections?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh I like this topic!  :tarakotchi:

For me, my policy has been to not try to recreate my original collection.
I'm going half/half on this approach. There are some shells from my original collection that I added to my rebuild and/or would like to add, but my previous collection was also very spontaneous so I'm taking a more mindful approach this time (i.e not buying any tama I see that's inexpensive  :lol: ). One example is my current Osu/Mesu pair. My past collection included a green & white Osu with the pink Mesu from a different pairing, and they weren't exactly what I wanted but they were cheap. This time around I was lucky enough to find the smoke/clear pair that I had wanted all along!

Some previous favorites that I have bought are the constellation V3 and the ice cream cone V3 (which was actually the first tamagotchi I ever had!). But in this case, it's mainly because I actually do prefer these shell designs to the other V3 options.

I would rather just add tamas that I truly want at this stage of my life, rather than ones I'm simply nostalgic for.

This approach came about due to having initially tried to get a 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini with a similar shell-design to my original back-in-the-day Tamagotchi, but ultimately being unable to do so, at which point I felt that it was a good idea to let my new collection be entirely its own thing - after all, it clearly wanted to be!  :lol:
Good point! I tell myself that the universe has bigger plans in store for me whenever I lose an eBay auction. It keeps me sane... B)  

Also, even though my focus is largely on the simpler monochrome devices (vintage and modern), because those are what I enjoy running the most, I don't restrict myself to that alone, because I'm not trying to recreate the old days.
Same here - now that I've seen how cute and enjoyable the more modern color releases are, I definitely want to try them. Whereas, in the past I was a total monochrome purist and refused to even consider the new ones (don't ask me why, even I have no real explanation  <_< ). 

Nostalgia can be a slippery slope. I find that just seeing photos some of the shells I used to own is enough to give me that fond little emotional boost, rather than putting in intense time, effort, and funds into seeking out the exact version/shell that I used to own just to have the same gameplay as a different, equally cute shell.

For my current rebuild I checked out both tamashell.com and the Tamagotchi Wiki and noted down the specific shell designs I liked of each version that I wanted. Now whenever I'm scrolling through eBay or the Facebook buy & sell groups, if I see one of those shells I know I can consider it. Otherwise, I move on! This keeps me from making impulsive purchases and maintaining a collection that I truly appreciate. 

I'm also trying to rebuild my vintage & Connection-era collection before I move on to the color versions, so I don't overwhelm myself.

For me I still have my originals. I don’t know how they survived not going to Goodwill, so I’m lucky to have found them at my parents home some years ago. I have two P1 and a Tamagotchi Angel. 2014 was when I rediscovered Tamagotchi and that year I picked up a few Connections and an English iD L. For me I don’t have interest in the Japanese language devices. So I suppose that is my only rule. I only want devices I can easily read and understand. Also I only want devices I am actually going to play. I may keep the boxes for some for long term storage purposes, but I don’t buy something just to leave it in the box.

I just got a Pix and that package is very excessive. The entire bottom is a cardboard hole with only instruction booklet…why Bandai, why? Also the box doesn’t have a good tab to reclose well. I’m not sure yet if I will keep the Pix boxes for these problems.

Other than that I like to have two of each just in case one dies on me in the future and since most tamas connect to each other.

Yeah the Pix box is ridiculous. I feel like the thing could have sold for $40 and they're charging us $20 for excessive packaging.

As for me, my "collection" back in the day was my single little P1 OG from 97. Recently my dad found it in some old storage and brought it to me, and I was like 'Hey I'll collect these things!'

I'm not really rebuilding a collection, as this is really my first time collecting, but as for right now my only real policy is that I'm only collecting bandai Tamagotchi brand, no competitive brands or other kinds of pets. I know there's a lot I'm missing out on that way but I want to have some kind of focus :) Plus I've only ever played with Tamagotchi personally, so the others don't have as much meaning to me.

Like Maskutchi I only get stuff I'm going to play with. Of course I want to have rare stuff like Devil, but I will still open and play with it. To me collectibles are not interesting just sitting in a box. I'm fine with them being in 'open' condition. I have no plans to sell my collection so it means more to me to interact with it than to keep it around for money's sake.

My goal is 'one of every type', which is hard to do given the price of some Tamas, but more a sort of general goal. For me, it's all about playing them, so I'll pass up a good shell if it means I can get a good deal, but I usually try to vary up what shells I get based on what colors are already in my collection. My collection also started in like... Geez, 2017? (Why does it feel like a million years ago?) so I'm not trying to recreate anything, it's just a matter of getting to play through every version of tama at least once.

I'm open to going outside of tama/digimon (since I played a lot with my friend's Dinky Dino as a kid and aside from my OG P2, I also have an original Star Wars Rancor pet), but I feel like tama does it best, so that's where most of my attention goes.

I wonder how many other people started back up because of the Mini re-release?

My very first Tamagotchi was the V3 I remember I got it around 2007-2008. Up until 2011 I had four tamagotchis and didn’t really keep up with tamagotchis releases.

I started rebuilding my collection properly in 2014 and I remember I made a list of all tamagotchis that I wanted as a kid and specify each shell design. I guess my main rule is I get the shell designs I really love and get maximum three pieces of each version (with the exception of the Meets :rolleyes2:).

For me it’s more of playing and explore each version not just collecting or storing them.

I’m now trying to focus on the vintage virtual pets and see what they are about since it’s the only part of my collection that is missing. :smile2:

Well, I didn’t start collecting Tamas until the Tamagotchi Dream town and friends came out. I had both and loved them, and my cousin lost my friends edition, but I feel I remember correctly, I do still have my dream town. Shortly after my friends was lost, I bought a 4U Andy loved it. Forgot about it and years later, here comes the TamagotchiON, and I LOVE the mixing feature!! I have it running right this moment in fact. I bought a Pix this year, Ann’s honestly, I really am not a huge fan. It takes too long for the adults to leave and allow a new generation to start. I a man considering adding a Tamagotchi Smart, and a Tamagotchi ocean.

Well, I didn’t start collecting Tamas until the Tamagotchi Dream town and friends came out. I had both and loved them, and my cousin lost my friends edition, but I feel I remember correctly, I do still have my dream town. Shortly after my friends was lost, I bought a 4U Andy loved it. Forgot about it and years later, here comes the TamagotchiON, and I LOVE the mixing feature!! I have it running right this moment in fact. I bought a Pix this year, Ann’s honestly, I really am not a huge fan. It takes too long for the adults to leave and allow a new generation to start. I a man considering adding a Tamagotchi Smart, and a Tamagotchi ocean.

Haha that's interesting as I'm the opposite with the Pix. I feel like they go by way too fast.

I initially had no rules but bought, like, 15 vpets in a 4 month span including a devilgotchi(my only real "rule" was if it called to me or was a heck of a deal :tongue:).
So I'm on a moratorium from buying more tama's for myself(the 25th anniversary preorder doesn't charge me until it ships 😏) until next year. It's given me more time to also see what things go for so I can be smarter when I resume shopping next year.
I'm trying to focus on vpets with a longer lifespan. The v3 would be oodles of fun with or without the old tamatown, the P's has all those add-ons from Mr. Blinky, etc etc. I wasn't as into the idea of getting a second On until I learned about Mr. blinky's program.
I'm not so sure about the smart namely because of the dna cards being permanently linked to a tama. What if the smart I get ends up breaking or all buggy? 😤 That could become REALLY expensive.

I'd love to know. That was what got me back into it!
I think I may have ruined tamagotchi for one little girl. When I lived with my folks I had quite the array, and she had to be around 9. She initially hung out with my little sister but then would pop in my room and chat my ear off :biggrin:
She thought my various tamagotchi were the coolest things EVER. And when Bandai did the re-release of the 2005 ones acting like it was a re-release of the OG ones I ordered one and gave it to her for christmas. I was so disappointed when I bought one for myself and realized what they were(I'd ordered the Japanese white and black one). Legit I thought they were just able to make them smaller but otherwise a normal re-release because technology. I moved out of my parents house around then, so IDK if it had any real impact on her excitement over tamagtochi, although I'd be surprised if the minimalistic thing was enough to captivate her.

although I'd be surprised if the minimalistic thing was enough to captivate her.
Meanwhile, I found the minimalism to both be a charm in its own right (if I'm really busy and still want to run a virtual pet, I'll always pick a Mini or a Nano), and a catalyst for picking up several devices (including a well-worn Gen 1, since my own original one is either lost or in a storage box somewhere) on eBay, before proceeding to pick up plenty of new releases (and re-releases) as well. :lol:

I don't have any rules per se- but most of my collection is still my OG connections, I haven't bought many newer Tamas, sadly! I fell off the boat right around when the ID was new, so it'd be interesting to see what newer Tamagotchi models have been like...!

Honestly, though, I'd really like to pick up the versions I don't have already and missed out on from the connection era (V1, V2, and v5, respectively), or some vintage Tamas like the Angelgotchi!

I'm also one of the lucky ones as I have the majority of my childhood collection, as well as Japanese Tamagotchis I picked up on my travels during the mid-2000s.

I came back into collecting in February after many years off, and 2 my main rules are...
Only get the ones you want to play with, and make sure they fit on the display shelf.

I had a few other goals, such as the classic electronics (Mezamatch, Mechagotch, Mame Games etc.) which I achieved, and of course trying to obtain all the vintage books and merch I could get my hands on. (Still after a few of those.)

I try not to spend more than $50 on any particular item, but every so often something special (like my Devilgotchi) will require an exception.

As for the display shelf.......
It's gonna start overflowing soon! Whoops!

Latest posts

Back