Screwdriver for Vintage Tamagotchis

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasu

Reaction score
Hi, new Angelgotchi owner here. I'm not too sure what kind of screwdriver to use on these tiny screws. If anyone could recommend me a screwdriver and possibly even provide a link to one (preferably less than £15 or so) that would be amazing. Thank you  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes can find the PERFECT screwdriver in those glasses repair kits you can find at the dollar store or pharmacy. They are usually in a little tube and come with extra screws, which can sometimes be the perfect size for temporary replacement screws if you ever happen to lose one from inside your tama or from the back battery lid. Honestly, buying these is often hit or miss, so I recommend bringing your tama to the store and just holding it up next to where you can see the screwdriver in the tube. I hope this helps!

Hey everyone, I'm new and was going to post a question pretty much like this but figured it may be preferred for me to post in this existing thread. I'd appreciate if people would refrain from answering with "Take it to a jewelry or watch counter." I've read about people taking their vintage Tamas around to multiple such places without luck, and sometimes with them even stripping the screws. Even aside from that, I'm simply hoping to get my hands on the perfect screwdriver to have at home for my Tamas.

A little bit about my situation... I recently got back into (classic) Tamas and I acquired a few vintage Tamagotchis as well as a few of the original-style re-released ones. I have activated one vintage Tama so far. My plan was to replace the batteries before removing the pull tab to activate it, but I was only able to get one screw out (I was using a Phillips screwdriver), which took some effort, and then as a family member and I were trying to work on the even more difficult second screw, I accidentally pulled out the pull tab. And to my surprise, it activated! So, currently, this Tama is running on its original batteries from the '90s.

Eventually, of course, I will have to get that other screw out (I'm hoping I haven't stripped it but can't be sure of that), and I would like to also open up the other couple of new-in-box vintage Tamas I got. I read somewhere that a JIS #0 screwdriver is the correct screwdriver for these, so I went on a quest for such a screwdriver, which was easier said than done. I ordered a 4-screwdriver JIS set at Tooldiscounter.com, specifically this set (click me). Although it lists #0 as one of the sizes, none of these screwdrivers are labeled #0. They are instead labeled 2.0 mm, 2.5 mm, 3.0 mm, and 4.0 mm. I noticed they say JIS Type S, and I'm not sure if that's different than just JIS. I tried using the couple of smaller ones on one of my vintage Tamas to no avail (not the afore-mentioned Tama with the one stubborn screw), but I only tried kind of briefly because I'm scared of damaging/stripping the screws.

I noticed someone above mentioned they've used a 2.2 mm screwdriver. I'm not sure what type of screwdriver that is, though? Excuse my ignorance about tools.

Before I try harder to use these screwdrivers on my poor Tamas, is anyone here able to shed some light on whether one of these screwdrivers in my set (based on the mm labeling) is the same as a JIS #0, or whether JIS Type S is different than regular "JIS"? Alternatively, is anyone able to provide a link to get a specific screwdriver you got and successfully used for your vintage Tamas?

By the way, I also tried a little eyeglass screwdriver thing that a family member had -- to no avail.

Additional question: Kinda related, for my future knowledge, can anyone tell me what screwdriver to use for the re-release Gen 1 & Gen 2 original-style Tamas? I gather JIS screws aren't used anymore, if I'm not mistaken. So Phillips?

Last edited:
According to that site the #0 screwdriver is .100", so judging by the conversion on google that would be the 2.5mm screwdriver.

I bought a set off amazon. Exact name "Precision Screwdriver Set | TD-56S Vessel JIS Made in Japan | 6 Piece Kit". I eventually have started to have problems with the grip coming loose from the screwdriver, but it's not bad enough to make it unusable and the #0 is the perfect size. It's maybe too expensive (16 bucks) just to get a single screwdriver from it, but I ended up using some of the smaller screwdrivers to repair jewelry so it worked out for me.

According to that site the #0 screwdriver is .100", so judging by the conversion on google that would be the 2.5mm screwdriver.

I bought a set off amazon. Exact name "Precision Screwdriver Set | TD-56S Vessel JIS Made in Japan | 6 Piece Kit". I eventually have started to have problems with the grip coming loose from the screwdriver, but it's not bad enough to make it unusable and the #0 is the perfect size. It's maybe too expensive (16 bucks) just to get a single screwdriver from it, but I ended up using some of the smaller screwdrivers to repair jewelry so it worked out for me.
Wow, it really didn't occur to my brain to do that conversion, so thank you! Lol. I actually succeeded in getting one screw out with the 3 mm screwdriver (strange it seemed to fit a bit better than the 2.5). Rather than try excessively on the extremely stubborn one, I ordered some ScrewGrab friction gel that's supposed to help with using a screwdriver on difficult or even stripped screws. I saw a little bit of metallic dust appear around the stubborn screw as I was trying, so I didn't want to damage it further if I can avoid doing so. I will get this screw out one way or another, and I want to be prepared for opening my other old Tamagotchis as well.

I was going to save that screwdriver set you mentioned for potential future purchase if needed, but I actually wasn't able to pull up that set on Amazon. The closest thing was Vessel's TD-56 set (rather than TD56-S) which appears to be Phillips and flatheads. Would you be able to provide the link? If not, no big deal, as I'm hopeful I'll be okay with the set I got.

Latest posts

Back